Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Where to start with Fujitsu N100 Loox?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to start with Fujitsu N100 Loox?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zcacogp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Where to start with Fujitsu N100 Loox? Reply with quote

Chaps,

I am a complete noobie here. My experience with Sat Nav has run to sitting in a Toyota, listening to spoken instructions, and driving a Saab with a built-in system. (If anyone reading needs more confirmation of my 'beginner' credentials then do please get in touch!)

I have just, rather rashly, ordered a Fujitsu Loox N100. Like this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=0&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=123570

It should arrive in a few days time.

I have ordered a 2gb card for it as well, as everyone says that 1gb isn't big enough.

First question: Is it any good? Actually, forget that - I have paid for it, so I don't want to know if it is rubbish!

Also, am I right in saying that the unit uses Navigon software to do the Sat Nav thing? And therefore I am using a Navigon unit? Or is this in incorrect understanding?

Also, what is the difference between Navigon and MN6?

Next question .... where do I start? I have seen various posts about updating the firmware - what is this and why do I need to do it? How hard is this?

I would like it to be able to tell me of where speed cameras are, and to route me around traffic. It seems that in order to do the speed camera trick I need to get POIN Warner, which I presume is a seperate piece of software that will make the unit bleep if I am near a camera. And I need to pay for this software. And I need to pay for updates to it as well. Is this correct?

From reading on here, it also seems that traffic notifications are given by something called a TMC, but getting TMC to work on Navigon (or is it on an N100?) is not possible in the UK. Is this so?

Also, if roads change (new roads are made or systems are altered), will I need to buy new maps, or will I get these free?

If so, how?

Thanks for your help. Sorry if these are VERY stupid questions.

Oli.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Pocket Loox n100 Reply with quote

I have a n100 (also the latest Navigon 7110 - just released, a TomTom Go, Nuvi 300 and Navman n40i)

With the exception of the Navigon 7110, I find the Pocket Loox n100 the best of the rest

Downsides are a) screen size b) postcode data on maps not full (full postcodes, but not full coverage)

Postitives are a) great size b) great precise vocal instructions c) reasonably up to date mapping d) clear visual instructions (if a little small because of a) e) multi-stop routing planning

The included Speed Camera Database isn't any good (the one with the 7110 is pretty good), but if you buy POIWarner then their database is both up to date and excellent. This is the only way (I know of) to get Speed Camera Databases uploaded to the Navigon. Many other POIs come free of charge with POIWarner, should you want them, although I wouldn't recommend installing too many on the n100

Overall, I think you'll be pleased with your n100 - I have a bunch of Sat Navs and when I bought the n100 thought it may have been a bad purchase from my initial few runs. However, within weeks I grew to love it as the best of my lot (hence my upgrade to the new Navigon 7110 which is really superb). Navigon concentrate on navigation perfection, where as most of the other suppliers seem to want to innovate in other features

You'll be disappointed if you rely on postcode input (enter a road name if possible - it works best)

TMC can work, but you need to update the software and purchase a reciever. I've TMC on some units, and in the area I live it's coverage is awful and not worth bothering with. In other areas, I am sure it's a worth while addition (do you have regular problem with traffic, of course!)

The updates to 1.57 are available from the Navigon.com website, a simple download

Let us all know how you get on!
zcacogp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xtraseller,

Thanks for your reply. I have to ask this: Why do you have FOUR sat nav units? Do you use them all at the same time? Or are they in four different cars? Or do you use different units for different purposes?

OK, so the N100 is OK. You talk about the incomplete postcode coverage - I take it you mean by this that if you type in some postcodes, it simply doesn't know where they are? Hence the requirement to put in a road name instead. This sounds a bit odd - how can it know the road but not the postcode?

POI Warner. OK. I take it from reading around the topic that a "POI" is a "Point of Interest", and speed cameras are simply listed as "Points of Interest". And it is possible to load in different sets of Points of Interest - hence the different POI databases. Is this correct? (It is probably a pretty noddy question - sorry!)

TMC. Hmmm. I live in London, and may find it useful. However, to be honest, I rarely need a Sat Nav in London as I know my way around pretty well - I have purchased the N100 as we are going to Scotland in the car for a week in October, and it could be useful then. And it only cost a bit over £100. And it intrigues me somewhat ... I am guessing that postcodes in somewhere remote like Scotland may well be the ones that it is not good at recognising! But back to TMC. I think I'll probably get to know the unit a bit before buying the TMC module. Is there a guide anywhere as to where in the country TMC works well, and where is less good? Also, if I was to go the TMC route, would I need to pay for TMC updates, or is it a free service?

Back to POI Warner - how do I actually buy this? On-line, I am guessing. And I need to pay for a monthly subscription to the speed camera database, I am guessing?

Another question. Can the N100 be used as a PDA, or is it strictly just a navigation/MP3 player? I notice that it runs Windows CE, which will have things like a contacts book and diary function, which would be useful if they aren't fully locked down and unusable.

And finally ... you mention that "The updates to 1.57 are available from the Navigon.com website, a simple download". What does this mean? It sounds like an update to the software ... is this so? Also I have heard people talk about updating the firmware - is this the same thing?

Sorry to ask a load of questions. I don't actually have the unit yet (should arrive early next week) and I guess I am just impatient to see it!

Oli.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Navigon Pocket Loox n100 Reply with quote

Okay - the units, I tend to collect gadgets, hence the multiple GPS units (and some, like the Navman icn630, etc. have gone by the way to other people for good), but the Nuvi, Navigon 7110, Pocket Loox n100 and the TomTom are all still with me, although more often than not with friends or collegues (I'm a sales manager, so non-GPS-believing collegues often "borrow" them!)

The postcode thing - yes the maps are quite up to date, with all the roads you expect to be named and present. However some postcodes are very definately missing. Ie. it doesn't accept them. This is particularly prevelant in country lanes and industrial estates. I found it easier in the end to enter town then road names for ease of entry. Also looking on google for the nearest road name, locating that then using the (very easy to operate) cross hair on screen to select my destination. For many people this problem may never become apparent however

POI Warner is simply purchased online http://www.navigating.de/cms/index.php?id=3142

All speed camera databases are in effect POI locations, nothing more or less

Yes you can load unlimited (or at least a great number) of POIs with POI Warner - although I found keeping it to all the speed camera databases (mobile, static, etc.) and about 10 others which were useful to me was the max before the mapping became too cluttered. Sure you won't find this a problem

You buy the POI Warner software one-off (with free POIs except speed cameras). The speed cameras work out just over a £1 a month

Cannot help you with the TMC coverage - I would like to see a map like that myself! Guess you will be fine without it on your trip if you miss out the cities!

TMC in the UK is not free but a "for life" package which is included in the cost of the TMC unit (paid for my the TMC unit manufacturer) so if you upgrade your N100 there are no more costs. Coverage is not great however at the moment in the UK

Update the unit at http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/service_support/download_center/category/9/device_type/pna/software/13

I bought my Pocket Loox at £150 and thought it was the best value GPS I've ever bought! And if you come to upgrade from it in the future, its still a great second unit as its so portable

No contacts address book calendar etc.!

Hope this helps! Enjoy the loox
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within the UK there are two suppliers of RDS-TMC these are iTIS and Traffic Master, they both use a different array of radio stations to broadcast their data.
Reception is best described as a "postcode lottery" which is further compounded by the manufacturers of the receivers insisting they supply units with pathetic aerials that simply do not work in the UK. Also the data gathered for Scotland only really covers the main roads around the major cities, that said there are seldom hold ups - I find the further North I go the better the roads, and less traffic in general.
For the time being I wouldn't bother spending cash on a receiver for your device as it will cost nearly as much as the GPS device, use the Radio in the car for traffic updates and/ or read the gantry signs as they often contain more accurate information - Mike
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: xtraseller Reply with quote

Have to agree - and with the excellent Navigon via points and route planning, it's easy to avoid any problem (or potential problem) areas pre-planned on the fly
zcacogp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaps,

Thank you very much for the help - Xtraseller particularly.

I can see that using the unit as it is (with POI Warner) is going to be the way to start off, and then I'll think about TMC stuff as time goes on. Interesting that it's a one-off payment rather than a subscription to the traffic information itself. I have the RDS traffic thing on the car radio, where it gives traffic announcements from any station, regardless of what you are tuned to, but it is often rather less than great. Hopefully the information which you get on the TMC system is better.

I have a number of other questions, but will probably do better to wait until I have the unit in my hands before asking them, as they will be more quickly answered that way

I'll keep you all posted as to how I get on.

Thanks, very much, again for your help.

Oli.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zcacogp wrote:
I have the RDS traffic thing on the car radio, where it gives traffic announcements from any station, regardless of what you are tuned to, but it is often rather less than great. Hopefully the information which you get on the TMC system is better.

The TMC information is more detailed and relatively up-to-date but the problem a lot of people here find is that the signal strength is barely adequate for reception unless you fit external aerial/tap into car aerial etc.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Animation Reply with quote

Oh - when you get your unit, switch OFF the Menu Animiations (you do this from within the settings menu) as it slows the unit down considerably
zcacogp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaps,

Thanks again for your help. The unit arrived at the weekend, and I managed to get to grips with it a little ...

... first impressions weren't good (it seemed to struggle with even the simplest route), but I think I am getting used to it now. The navigation itself is a bit hit-and-miss; I have taken it with me on a couple of journeys I do regularly to see what it has to say, and it doesn't go the same way as i would choose. However, having said that, I do know my local area pretty well and know that non-logical routes are often the best. I would say that the unit doesn't inspire confidence should I (or when I) use it 'in anger' as it won't take the 'best' route, but I guess it is about as good as a map, given that you don't know the area.

Xtraseller - the point about postcodes was a good one. The interface for putting in a postcode is nasty, to say the least. (The only way to put in a space in a postcode is on the character screen, therefore to put in a postcode of format AA11 space 1AA (A=Character, 1=Number), you need to switch from number screen to character screen to find the space, and then back to number screen. Nasty!) Thanks for the tip about choosin city then road - much better.

It's not overly quick, and the navigation lags real time slightly. (You go past a landmark, and it shows you passing the landmark on the screen about 2 or 3 seconds later.) This strikes me as not great, but I don't know what to expect.

I'll keep you all posted (you can't wait - I can tell!) with any interesting progress ... thanks again for your help.

Oli.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: