Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Any thoughts on why ...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Any thoughts on why ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulWH
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Any thoughts on why ... Reply with quote

I submitted some POI locations a short while back and something strange seems to have happened.

The POI's are all France | Food & Drink | Mcdonalds and strange things have happened to three of them.

Saint-Lô DT, Rond Pointe de lEurope (Ref: ?) is in the POI download file (ov2) but not showing on the map.

Cherbourg DT, Équeurdreville-Hainneville (Ref: ?) is in the POI download file (ov2) but not showing on the map

Ouistreham DT, Route de Caen (Ref:162992) in on the map but not in the POI download file (ov2).

Any thoughts ?

Paul W. H
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Any thoughts on why ... Reply with quote

PaulWH wrote:
I submitted some POI locations a short while back and something strange seems to have happened.

The POI's are all France | Food & Drink | Mcdonalds and strange things have happened to three of them.

Saint-Lô DT, Rond Pointe de lEurope (Ref: ?) is in the POI download file (ov2) but not showing on the map.

Cherbourg DT, Équeurdreville-Hainneville (Ref: ?) is in the POI download file (ov2) but not showing on the map

Ouistreham DT, Route de Caen (Ref:162992) in on the map but not in the POI download file (ov2).

Any thoughts ?

Paul W. H

I do not know if this is the problem but the first two contain accented characters so I have removed the accents. I forgot to change the Country to France for the third one so it was in the United Kingdom download Embarassed The assignment to a country is not automatic, so I have to change it from the default of United Kingdom.

Please let me know if these changes solve the problem.

Richard
PaulWH
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Richard the problem is solved.

Will the "system" be adapted in the future to accept accented characters as they are used extensively in some European countries and amending/removing them may cause confusion.

At present when adding new POI's for non-UK POI's there is no way to select country, is this likely to be changed.

With a POI "set" like McDonald's that is "International" would it make sense for it to be one file covering the UK and the rest of Europe ?

Paul W. H
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the problem with accented characters a TomTom problem? If the POI were in the ov2 file then it does seem to be a TomTom bug.

I would like to have a Country field on the submission form but I need a "code monkey" to make the change for me Smile

You can use the code already provided by Lutz to combine the non-UK McDonalds. On the download page tick those countries that you would like to combine. Then use the Refresh button to get the POI Category/Subcategory tree. Tick the McDonalds POI under Food & Drink and proceed as usual.

Richard
PaulWH
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote"Is the problem with accented characters a TomTom problem? If the POI were in the ov2 file then it does seem to be a TomTom bug".

I have some "Private" POI's where the name detail contains accented characters on a TT Go 700 and they display perfectly OK.

I can combine POI files OK thats not a problem I was just thinking of keeping the POI file numbers down bearing in mind the 100 limit.

Paul W. H
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:

I would like to have a Country field on the submission form but I need a "code monkey" to make the change for me Smile

i'll take a look after the next camera database release

Monkey-MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

code monkey has visited and there is now a country field to help eliminate these problems in the future

MaFt
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
code monkey has visited and there is now a country field to help eliminate these problems in the future

MaFt

First Many thanks for doing is so quickly.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: