Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Confused ?????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused ?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmc68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Confused ????? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am looking for my first stand alone Sat Nav unit and I am totally confused Question Question Question

Until now I have had a DVD based system as OEM in my Honda. This is up for sale and the car I am looking to buy will not have one.

Problem is I am totally out of touch with this area. I did look into it a while back for my wife and she ended up with a Garmin which has been fine. And my Mum has a Tom Tom one, which has been problematical (mainly due to pilot error I think thought).

So some guidance on what's what at the moment would help.

Here\'s what I know (not much Very Happy )

The Honda plus points were; palatable voice, clear instructions. Minus points were the age of the maps (No way was I paying £300+ for a new DVD) the limited POIs

My thinking for a new unit is - Bluetooth for hands free would be handy, screen size is not too important as I tend to go on voices. I can't stand the way the Tom Tom lady says Roundabout, I am not worried about MP3 etc. My wife's Garmin has traffic, for all it's faults it has been useful. I like the thought of being able to change voices (would this be a gimmick I'd get bored of?) Portability is an issue as I would be moving it between two cars. I do a bit of off roading so any value there would be a bonus but not essential.

So, if anyone can give an pointers recommendations or suggestions that can help me clear the fog it would be a great help.

Cheers.

Chris
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums.

If your post attracts replies (it may or may not - it's a regular question, so some will love the chance to offer opinions, others will say "Not again!"), you could be here reading them for days.

For myself (whitevanman), I'd been sniffing around them for a while, unable to decide, simply because they were reasonable costly and I couldn't get any shop to do me a demo or trial. I eventually had a guy come up to me in Comet and offer to help, as they do. When I said, yes, give me a demo he actually had one that worked, had a charged up battery and took me outside for a demo. I bought it there and then! A Tom Tom GO300 and never regretted it. I'm several models on since then. My mate, who investigates stuff like a keener, told me Tom Toms are the best. I wouldn't know - I'm VERY happy with mine.

So in a nutshell - my advice is go into a shop where they have several and get them to demo them for you. Your choice, after all.

Excuse me, got to go now, just got a call to follow my TT to Birmingham somewhere.
Happy hunting and let us know how you get on.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
cmc68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis,

I realise mine is not exactly a new question Wink

I have done a fair bit of searching here and went away more confused than when I started.

I guess I am just looking for anything anyone can offer based on my current position/observations. Based on my requirements.

I do also plan to get some hands on experience but like you have found it very difficult. I would not let my local Halfrauds fit a wiper blade. I did in fact chat to one guy at one near me but it soon became clear that although he thought otherwise he new significantly less than me... and that is not a lot!!

Cheers.

Chris
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmc68, if you let us know the area you live maybe one or two of us could arrange meet you somewhere and give you a demo of our various devices/mapping.

Quote:
I like the thought of being able to change voices (would this be a gimmick I'd get bored of?)
Novelty soon wears off.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my personal opinions are:

1) garmin have better mapping (navteq)
2) tomtom have better features / personalisation

all the other units i've tried have been ok but my preference ias garmin then tomtom - navman are quite good but i personally wasn't too keen on the interface.

each unit has it's pro's and cons so like dennis suggests, have a play in a shop with a 'live' unit then hunt around online for reviews and cheapest prices

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: