Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - VM X980t updates - messed up, need help please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

VM X980t updates - messed up, need help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drifter47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: VM X980t updates - messed up, need help please Reply with quote

I have messed up installing the latest updates 6.5.4 on my VM 980T Europe and wondered there is anyone here that can ‘talk’ me through the possibility of deleting the entire download and everything that has been stored on my pc and start all over again.

I have removed that download, 6.5.4, that was causing the problem off my pc but before I go back to the VM site and download it again, can I also delete what I have so far transferred and then reset the PND? The reason I ask is that this is where the problem started as the transfer of the file was stopped midway due to an error message.

I am very confused and some help and advice would be appreciated please as I have now received the latest VM map update and it states not to load until I have the latest version of the navigation software installed on my device, which is obviously the one I am having trouble with.
Drifter47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: VM X980t updates - messed up, need help please Reply with quote

Can anyone help me please? VM are not responding to my emails and I really need to get this sorted before I go on holiday.
Many thanks
Drifter47 wrote:
I have messed up installing the latest updates 6.5.4 on my VM 980T Europe and wondered there is anyone here that can ‘talk’ me through the possibility of deleting the entire download and everything that has been stored on my pc and start all over again.

I have removed that download, 6.5.4, that was causing the problem off my pc but before I go back to the VM site and download it again, can I also delete what I have so far transferred and then reset the PND? The reason I ask is that this is where the problem started as the transfer of the file was stopped midway due to an error message.

I am very confused and some help and advice would be appreciated please as I have now received the latest VM map update and it states not to load until I have the latest version of the navigation software installed on my device, which is obviously the one I am having trouble with.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Have you tried restting the device (i.e. restoring to original state) from within Content Manager?

Mike
Drifter47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Mike, I may have done but I am the original dummy and I could have 'hit' all the wrong buttons in the manic race to get it to work! I have asked VM on their customer servce and got a response a few days later but even that did not work. I tried calling them but my call provider does not allow 0870 numbers, so I am currently up the proverbial creek, so to speak.
Regards
Brian
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your device working at the moment?

Is it synchronised with your PC via Content Manager?

If so download the zip file again and I'll try and help you through, although I'm trying to get some work done as well so have patience.

Mike
Drifter47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently running restore SD which is taking ages. Will leave it and return this afternoon

Thanks
Brian

PS what seems to be a 'confuse' point is the install wizard that prompts for you to add, repair or delete.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Brian,

I've got a couple of calls to make so I wont be around this afternoon.
Let me know how you get on.

Good Luck

Mike
Drifter47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sort of success. I have restored the SD thru the contents manager and twice it returned this error message. ‘An error occurred whilst communicating with the GPS. Check that it is connected to your PC via the USB cable provided and connections are filled’
The second time I just hit on OK and disconnected it. I then removed the SD and made a hardware reset by pressing the + & - buttons whilst pressing the reset key with the stylus. Not an easy job with just two hands but surprisingly it did the job and then finding out that the latest version 6.5.4 (build 163) was loaded.
What I would like to do now, for peace of mind, is to delete everything from my C: drive on my PC that relates to Viamichelin and start again as it may be from this location where I caused the problems. Looking at the files though and I now appear to have restored files in there from this SD restore, so I do not know what is going on.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would not muck about with, or delete anything, from the Program Files / ViaMichelin folder, I don't think you have a problem there.

I usually download any updates etc to another ViaMichelin folder within My Documents and run them from there, obviously any deletions here would not affect the device when synchronising.

In short, I would leave well alone and put it down to a glitch

HTH

Mike
Drifter47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Mike, I still have that finger which is hovering over the delete key. However, I will take your advice and leave well alone! Now off to install the map updates that I received from VM.
Regards
Brian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: