Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Backup mio 1 gig sd card possible?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Backup mio 1 gig sd card possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spastro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Backup mio 1 gig sd card possible? Reply with quote

Hello all. I just bought a mio268 unit, that came with a application cd and a 1 gig SD card preloaded with miomap and all of Australia maps.

I did not receive a miomap cd.

I was trying to back up the 1 gig sd card. which i did without any hassles. and then copied the existing copied files to a new 1 gig sd card which i hard spare and inserted that into my mio.

When i try to access miomap it starts to load then i get an error stating "ID HARDWARE CHANGED".

When i click ok, it just kicks me out to the main screen.

When i insert the original SD Card into the unit and load up miomap it works fine.

I wanted to have the original saved so that i could use it if ever the backup sd broke, or got damaged.

Is there a way to do that or does it only work with original mio sd cards?

Im slightly confused.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's software protection to prevent the card being copied and the data used on other devices.
Your 'backup' is their 'unlicensed copy'.

Sal
spastro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the only way to do it is by using the original sd card that came with the mio?

After i copied the files to my pc as a back up, i formated the original mio SD card and then copied the files back across, and it worked fine.

It seems to me that the mio is tied to the actual mio SD card.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spastro wrote:
so the only way to do it is by using the original sd card that came with the mio?

After i copied the files to my pc as a back up, i formated the original mio SD card and then copied the files back across, and it worked fine.

It seems to me that the mio is tied to the actual mio SD card.

Not really. The licensed maps are tied to a particular SD card and the device performs software checks to confirm that all is well.

Needless to say they are hacks, involving unlocking the device, that would allow you to do what you need to do.
spastro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds way to complicated. i tried unlocking it following some steps i found on another site to show the windows desktop. i could not do it.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spastro wrote:
sounds way to complicated. i tried unlocking it following some steps i found on another site to show the windows desktop. i could not do it.

Some of the instructions aren't that great but the process should result in success if you follow the instructions - you could try hunting around for better instructions.

Unlocking does allow you to run third party apps including alternative routing apps. I tried last year (in order to access the Windows desktop) but found the result to be pretty unstable in terms of crashes.
spastro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might hunt around a little later. at the moment i am pretty happy with the unit, have not had any major issues with it so i might just leave it as is.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: