Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can I put Western Europe maps on my Tomtom ONE GB?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I put Western Europe maps on my Tomtom ONE GB?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chezzboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Can I put Western Europe maps on my Tomtom ONE GB? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, right basically I bought the cheapest tomtom about 9 months ago and its just the Great Britain edition. Now in August I'm driving to Holland for a music festival, through France and Belgium.

Basically what I want to know is can I load the Europe map onto my existing SD card, should I get another SD card for the Europe map and switch the cards when I board the ferry, if indeed the Europe Maps will work at all with my "GB" tomtom??

Many thanks, I tried to use the search function but it didn't throw up any answers...

James.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT are running a 20% discount on all maps right now (time limit to end of July). I'd suggest getting a new bigger SD card (2GB) and buy the Western & Central Europe Map. Copy your current card to the new one then put the new map on it and you'll have all Europe (including UK) on seamless map.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
cmhoward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm in the same situation as James. I have the TomTom One v1 (GB) and want to add maps of France and Switzerland. Having read previous posts, it sounds like the Western and Central Map has a lot more detail than just the Western map (and is twice the size) for only another 10 Euro.

I already have a 2GB card in this unit, but when I go to buy the maps on the TT site and select "One" as my device, I'm only given the option to download the Western Map and not the Western/Central.

Is there any reason why the Western/Central map won't work on the TT One GB? and why TT have restricted this selection?

Best regards, Craig
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for not replying to this sooner - I've been on holiday for a fortnight.

If it's still relevant, I'm quite sure you CAN get the Western and Central Europe map onto your 2GB card, but obviously the problem is getting the damn thing from Tom Tom!!

I have bought both Western Europe for my GO710 and Western and Central Europe for my GO700. Unfortunately I didn't know what I was doing - Like a simpleton I thought if I ordered both on one order it would be perfectly legal and honest. After some considerable to-ing and fro-ing with TT since I bought them, I have had to create another account because I can't have two devices and only one account. In following (obviously wrongly) their directions, I have now finished up with two accounts, but with one device I have two maps and with the other I have NO maps registered with Tom Tom. I remain completely in the dark as to why I have to have a separate account (i.e with DIFFERENT e-mail addresses) for every TT device I own.

The point of which story is that if I were to tell you that if you change your device to a GO700 or a GO910 when selecting the maps you'll be able to order, pay for and download the Western and Central Europe map, probably also load it onto your ONE, but would it be legal?? Ask me another!!! We all know that TT maps work on all TT devices, so if you pay for a map, you should be able to use it on the device of your choice and SO LONG AS YOU ONLY USE IT ON ONE DEVICE, that seems perfectly legal to me (otherwise I wouldn't be saying this, as I abhor piracy). But I really don't know if it's legal in TT's eyes.

I suggest you contact TT and tell them you'd like the Western and Central Europe map for your ONE and can you please buy it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
cmhoward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply and feedback. I contacted TT support and after a few days was told that Central and Western Europe maps were not currently available for download from their site for the ONE, but they would be in the future - I should watch their site for details.

Having then decided to download and install the Switzerland only map from their website (which I must say was very detailed and helpful for our visit), I noticed that the TT Home software appears to let me download any map, including the Central/Western one!

Craig
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmhoward wrote:
I contacted TT support....

That was your first mistake!

Why the TomTom website tries to tell you that various maps are not available for certain models, is a complete mystery.
As far as I'm aware, apart from the Navteq maps supplied when you buy the Rider and the One Europe, they will all work on every machine, provided you have enough storage space for it (and a new enough software version)

I've even tried emailing them to ask if there is a good reason for it, but I never got an answer.
cmhoward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, contacted them by email and then by phone and got the same reply - not compatibe (at least they're consistent!).

I did have a good look around the forums and web before resorting to product support, but couldn't find a definitive answer. Hopefully others will find this post and have their questions answered.

Craig

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: