Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2007 Maps and 6.5 Software on 950-T Comments
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2007 Maps and 6.5 Software on 950-T Comments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glidem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: 2007 Maps and 6.5 Software on 950-T Comments Reply with quote

2007 Edition Maps and software for ViaMichelin Navigation devices

Hi everybody

I purchased the UK and Ireland 2007 map pack and software update (75Euros thanks to an email offer) from the Via Michelin website a couple of weeks ago and I just thought I would post some thoughts for any other 950-T users here...

First off this software update is way better than what came with the device last year. One of the most important additions is the avoid toll roads option! The times this sat nav unit would make me pay a couple of pounds to travel just one junction of a toll road was extremely frustrating to say the least. Now though you can set it to avoid them, therefore less stressful driving conditions straight away.

You now have full post code search and the whole interface is far better designed for navigation. Not quite perfect as there are quite a few options as always, but a huge improvement.

The screen can be split into two like the newer products by ViaMichelin have, where the left hand of the screen can show a graph of how close you are getting to the next turn, roundabout etc and displays nicely the next route action. Although a good option to have, I prefer the full screen approach (maybe just because I am used to it).

Previous problems where the vocal instructions made little sense seem to have been fixed also at fairly complicated roundabouts. There was one road also where it was the wrong side of another road leading up to it, but this has also been fixed.

Speed (safety) Cameras are now a built in feature and although probably quite a bit behind the ones you can get here, it does give you a much better warning detailing the speed limit at that camera point and no longer are alarms heard when passing near roads with them on which your route isn't actually on.

Settings has been moved on the front page to the bottom right of the screen and a new section called My ViaMichelin stores many of your personal saves. Very handy!

The UK and Ireland maps come on a 512mb card, although can fit on a 256mb if you want to make a backup.

The only downside is the software you have on the PC that comes with the pack to organise your points of interest files. Adding them is straight forward once you have read the instructions, but you can't guess your way through as the icons are rubbish at having no real description associated with it. It didn't work for me with Windows Vista, but works fine with Windows XP.

I was very skeptical about spending another chunk of my money to update a system that isn't that old, but the software update alone and then the bonus of having all the 2007 maps and fixes do in fact make it worth while. All in all a worthy upgrade and worth the expense if you use your sat nav system a fair bit. The software updates and new maps are far better than what came bundled with the device as new last year and does a lot to catch up with its competitors and newer models.

I hope this has been useful!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: