Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom USA SD card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom USA SD card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
V4Moto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: TomTom USA SD card Reply with quote

I bought the v6.6 USA/Canada SD card in preparation for a trip to the US in April. Following the hassle of getting thru immigration I am sworn never to visit the darn place again and put the sd card up for sale. It is in the original packaging with the activation card and instruction sheet (exactly as it was when I bought it). I have now been told that I cannot sell it as the SD card would have had the data deleted when it was activated into my TTOne. Surely this cannot be right. I did not take a back up copy as it did not even get a mention in the instructions. Can anyone advise whether it is possible to resell this? Cheers Jon
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Activation code is to activate the maps on YOUR TomTom, it is made up from the Product code of the maps and the Device code of your TomTom, so the Activation code will not work on someone elses TomTom, so the maps won't work. This is to stop people buying maps, copying them, and selling them on Ebay etc. In some cases, TomTom will allow the maps to be avtivated on a second device, but you, or the new owner will have to explain they are the original maps, on the original card, and you don't have a copy on another card. You see the problem with selling 2nd hand maps.
V4Moto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for quick reply Tanda I can understand your point and see that there is a copyright issue but the same can be said for any type of data that can be copied (CDs, DVDs etc) It still makes it hard to swallow that I pay nearly £90 for some data that I use once, realise I wont use it again and cannot sell it in order get something back. Just seems a shame given that the TTOne is a good product and the maps worked well abroad. I would think hard about ever buying maps again unfortunately.
Also what would happen if I changed my TTOne or it malfunctioned? I guess there is a work around by the company.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom USA SD card Reply with quote

V4Moto wrote:
... as the SD card would have had the data deleted when it was activated into my TTOne. Surely this cannot be right. .... Can anyone advise whether it is possible to resell this? Cheers Jon

it might not be strictly speaking according to the End-user License Agreement but the original TomTom SD cards do not normally require activation, so unless you had to activate for some reason, the software code on the card is still valid. I don't see any problems with selling it.
V4Moto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thks Eldar thats helpful and I can understand that it might not sit easily with the UA - I may take a chance and see if I can sell it but will have to accept that if the new owner is not satisfied then I'll have to reimburse and write it off as a loss. I could try it on a colleague's TTOne as ours were bought for us at the same time by our employer though I purchased the sd card myself to cater for my holiday.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original card does not require activating, (But it has beed activated, and has an activation code), BUT, if it did need activating, the activation code would be made up from the product code, and device code, so If you put it in a different device, the device code would be different, so the activation code wouldn't work. The maps are locked to a spacific device, and once activated, won't work on another device without a new activation code. At least, thats how I understand it. Why not e-mail TomTom, and ask if it is possible to sell the original SD card, they may be willing to give the new owner a new activation code?
V4Moto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thks again Tanda - I'll do that.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this, it may help.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=56164&highlight=activation+codes
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that you have never activated the map. You just stuck it in your TT and it worked. So try it on a friend's unit. It should probably work as well. If this is so, then you can sell it to someone else without fear of it messing up.

You know when the map requires activation because the unit won't boot up and it tells you to go to www.ttcode.com to get an activation code. Even if you had done this, you can activate it again after 6 months.

Now, from what I understand, if you were to make a copy of this card, then you would be asked to activate it. But as long as it's the original card, no activation required.

Sorry the U.S. immigration people put you off. They really are so full of themselves. Remember that the average American is nothing like these guys.
V4Moto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that 46jimbo, I will give that a try in a colleague's TT to see if it works on that. You're right about the average American thats why its a shame the front line is sooo inhospitable. I won't be ready for that again for many years.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: