Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What am I doing wrong?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What am I doing wrong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celiamolestrangler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: What am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

Tomtom customer service are unable to help with this - I'm sure the problem has a simple answer, though. Say I want to get from Chorley to Bristol via M6/M6 Toll/M42/M5. Tomtom will not direct me to M6 Toll, it just assumes a route of M6/M5. I understand that this is because it thinks it is the fastest and shortest route but I have a particular reason to want to include the M6 Toll. If I plan an Itinerary to include M6 Toll and M42 as waypoints, with Bristol as my destination, to try to force my TomTom One to go on the selected route I am constantly being directed off road towards the nearest large town. This also happens if I programme M6/M58 to go from Chorley to Liverpool. I've tried putting the motorway junctions as waypoints, I've tried putting service station as waypoints (Norton Canes on the M6 Toll) - I'm at my wits end! I've confirmed that I haven't got the 'Avoid Motorway' option selected and I definitely haven't got the 'Avoid Toll Road' option selected. At the moment I am just having to allow it to select M6/M5 for my Bristol journey and then ignoring it, taking the M6 Toll and allowing it to recalculate. But surely there is a workround for this? My TomTom is new, and has up-to-date maps so that isn't the issue.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are probably several ways to get your TT to do what you want, but why bother with the hassle. You clearly know how to use the M6 Toll instead of just M6, so use it when you make your journey and TT will soon work out you have changed your route and adapt to suit.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, plan your route using any method you want (Fastest is probably best) once this is done Tap the screen and select "Find Alternate" then "Travel Via...." now you can use any of the options on the next two pages to add a point on the journey he device will take you to first.
Be careful using the point on a map option to set a via though - if you put the via on the wrong side of the motorway it will take you there!

I must say traveling from Preston to Bristol I certainly wouldn't consider using the M6 Toll, but each to there own, its probably just a bad example - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both replies are good, but as Eric says, you don't HAVE to follow it's advice. I always leave mine on, even on my journey to work and I know much better ways, but it soon catches up. As soon as you turn off the way YOU want to go, it will re-calculate a new route in seconds.
Celiamolestrangler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Thanks for help but.... Reply with quote

Yes, I know that I know how to do the route in my head, but it is more difficult on the reverse journey and very easy to miss the turnoff for the M42 & then M6 Toll. And also my partner isn't familiar with the route and needs TomTom help and.....darn it, it is just the principle of the thing. It SHOULD help me do it. The very helpful advice (thank you!) about navigating via an alternative and then travel via is something I hadn't thought about. So I attempted a 'walk through' of this method using view route 'browse as text' and it is taking me all over the place again! So that doesn't work, unfortunately.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for help but.... Reply with quote

Celiamolestrangler wrote:
YSo I attempted a 'walk through' of this method using view route 'browse as text' and it is taking me all over the place again! So that doesn't work, unfortunately.

It should work if you get the "via" spot correct.
If you still can't get it to go the way you want, the other alternative that no-one has mentioned yet is Itinerary Planning (on the main menu).

With that, you can save as many waypoints as you need to get it to go exactly the way you want. You can then save it as well, so your partner can just call it up when he/she needs to.
The only downside is that you will need to create a return journey version too, as the TT can't just reverse it by itself.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for help but.... Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
The only downside is that you will need to create a return journey version too, as the TT can't just reverse it by itself.
The TomTom software cannot reverse an itinerary but the hardware is capable of doing it if you install This To the TomTom - Mike
Celiamolestrangler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Thanks once again for help but..... Reply with quote

I've already tried itinerary (see my original question). I'm beginning to wonder whether there is a fault on my Tomtom?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of This to make sure you are creating the itinerary file correctly, beware of selecting motorway junctions as the waypoints though as the unit will take you to the specific point, if that is on the slip road you will be directed off the motorway.
I would have thought a couple of points one on the M6 Toll road about two thirds along it, the other located on the M42, don't try the reverse ITN application for positions on motorway carriageways as this will produce very strange results - Mike
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for help but.... Reply with quote

Celiamolestrangler wrote:
So I attempted a 'walk through' of this method using view route 'browse as text' and it is taking me all over the place again! So that doesn't work, unfortunately.
If you set your 'Via' point just South of J4 of the M6T it should take you all the way round. Use Point on Map to accurately locate the carriageway, and zoom right in.

It's usually better to use Browse map of Route to get a quicker oversight of the Route.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when you get here, leave my moles alone!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the best way to add a point on a map as a waypoint, is to first browse map, get to the right point you are looking for and zoom to it's largest scale, to ensure that your point is on the correct carriageway. I then go to the itinery planning, add a point using the 'point on map' selection, which will automatically display the last point you selected on the browse map function. Select that, making sure to move it up or down to the correct point in your itinery and bingo, you're there.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
And when you get here, leave my moles alone!!
You mean...."Get orf moy laaaand" as an old west country lad might say, don't you ? Wink

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: