Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi Directional speed warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi Directional speed warnings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanHo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi Directional speed warnings Reply with quote

Can anyone please summarise the main differences between the Garmin Cyclops system and the Pocket GPS data on a Nuvi.

I have been told that the Garmin Cyclops gives directional warnings, whereas the Pocket GPS system does not and warns of cameras irrespective of your direction of travel. Is that true ?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes and no. PGPSW have a lot of directional data but garmin have not added this option to the poiloader software. my guess is so that they can try get more people using the cyclops database even though it is more out of date and less accurate than ours...

seems a silly move to me as it may push people away from garmin products - they have a feature but they won't let you use it with your own pois...

MaFt
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure some enterprising student/programmer could write his own version of the POI loader to allow this data to be sucked in.

Also, telephone number integration for normal POI's would be great (like that available with the bult-in POI's.

Anyone fancy a project?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulJSmith wrote:
I'm sure some enterprising student/programmer could write his own version of the POI loader to allow this data to be sucked in.

Also, telephone number integration for normal POI's would be great (like that available with the bult-in POI's.

Anyone fancy a project?

it can be done - it needs to be in gpx format. i might have a word with richard about it...

MaFt

edit: ps - i was only referring to phone numbers here!

Last edited by MaFt on Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be really great. Thanks for the feedback.

Paul
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It really bought it home to me today in fact. I had the misfortune to have to drive up to Ealing from Reading and was "pinged" about 9 times inwards. 8/9 were true (i.e on my side of the road). On the way out (different route) I was pinged at leat a dozen times. Only one of them was in my direction and therefore 1/12 was correct for me.

If there is a way to do this - even if it involves a bit of development effort then I would like to say that I for one would welcome it. It is really needed in my opinion and Garmin, being the commercial giant it is, are not going to be in a hurry to enable the functionality anytime soon.

If I have too many more of those sort of journeys then, sadly (and I sincerely mean that), I think I will have to go with the Garmin system. While not as up to date and somewhat more expensive £39 versus £19 the directional issue really is an issue for anyone who drives in an urban area - every time the bongs go you have to look out avidly to see where the camera is - this 11 times of unnecessary distraction is not good from a sanity or a safety point of view. I would really prefer to stay where I am as I feel my subscription is well worthwhile in so many other respects - this is a great site.

Please don't think I'm in any way blaming you - not at all, but, with the knowlege and skills you have could you see if it can be fixed - even if it ends up being a little protracted in terms of what the end user has to do?

Now I know some people will counter by saying "surely it slows you down........... etc." But lets get real - 90% of us use the camera database for other subtly different reasons - even if it is just to be more empowered to drive "near the limit" and be allowed to keep the eyes ahead more ofter than side to side (checking the side of the road where the camera lives).

Regards,

Paul
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul, if the unit / software simply won't allow it then there is nothing we can do...

have you tried using ash10's or cbroms gpx convertors? you can set specific distances for each camera type / speed so if you lower the distance then you will get far less warnings in urban areas than when using the garmin default of about 5 miles radius!!

MaFt
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Posting from a blackberry so will keep short.....

Only reason I pursued this is because a previous poster intimated that it could be done if a file was produced in the gpx format. The unit I imagine can do it but are you saying it is not as simple as a gpx crafted file?

I wasn't having a dig I guess I was given wrong information or misunderstood the previous posters answer

Regards
Paul
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance you could send a link to that post? it MAY be possible to add heading but we'd need to know the exact format which i've never seen issued by garmin...
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. It was you earlier. I think we have crossed wires you must have been referring to the telephone numbers in the poi's rather than the directionality of the speed cameras.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I thought it sounded plausable as I assumedThat the cyclops file was a gpx file and if so I would have thought a programmer could reverse engineer it just like the speed camra distance program.

Maybe maybe not. I'm no programmer so can only speculate.

Cheers
Paul
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have edited the post to clarify what i was referring to!!

however, i'll still look into it!

MaFt
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt,

I have been researching a little further and it seems that the directional information does exist in the cyclops gpi file but the file is encrypted (as it is subscription) and as yet I don't think anyone has managed to get hold of the fileds required for the directional information for the speed cameras. I'm sure if someone knew the field and the format of the value required it could work. I have also, from another forum, been informed that there may be two types of GPI file (someone hacked the headers to see). The one created by POILoader has a different header to the cyclops. It may be that it is not even XML format. Someone elsewhere has worked on the GPI format but was unable to decode the format.

Don't know if you found out anything else?

As a side issue, the telephone numbers on the POI's would be great. This does need to be a GPX format but, apparently the fileds are there and will work.

Cheers,
P
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm still working on the international versions for the speed cameras but once that's done i'll make a start on the gpx/phone numbers for poi's.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: