Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Custom POI sounds don't work on my 750, please help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom POI sounds don't work on my 750, please help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PETE_TWINTURBO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Custom POI sounds don't work on my 750, please help! Reply with quote

Hi there, can anyone help? I've download the speed camera files from this web site and a few .wav files from the Internet and installed them on to my icn 750 I've just bought. The camera icons work, so does the written alert at the bottom of the screen, but I don't get any sound? (I want a different sound for each type of camera)

Just to cover the basic's, I've got the latest copy of XP, the latest copy of SmartST desktop. The sound files are .wav and are of similar size as the default sounds. My custom .wav files are just as loud as the default ones.

I have followed the installation, to the letter; step-by-step from both the manual you get with the Navman and the pdf file from the Navman web site. (They are both the same, but I'd thought I'd see if there was any difference)

I have removed and reinstalled the complete camera databases several times, and re-installed the icn 750 software on my Navman. Still no difference. Confused

I have manually deleted the sound files, and Cut N Paste them in again using the explore function on Microsoft ActiveSync, (which is the latest version) Still no difference! :x

One thing is a little strange; I can NOT find the .wav file for the two standard alerts. I was hoping I could Cut N Paste them in to the folder that contains them, anyone know were they are? When I look for my custom .wav's after I have used the POI editor, I find them in Navman/PyPOI with the .bmp and .map files, is this correct?

Also when I click on active on the POI Editor, I find that they are NOT active on my ICN 750, they are installed but the active box is un-ticked. I have to tick them to make them work after installation. Using the fiddly scroll wheel!

The only sound files I can find are in Navman/Sound and are .DAT files

I think I've covered everything, oh yeah, I've contacted the NAVMAN web site, a few days ago, but no reply as yet.

Please can anyone help, I'm getting a little tired installing .wav files on my Navman and then driving past my local speed camera's to see if it's worked!

If your sounds DO work on your ICN 750, could I have a copy and install it on mine, just to see if that works? Thanks. :D
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have one custom sound at the moment and it does indeed reside in the Navman\MyPOI directory.

When you say you've cut and pasted the soundfiles, how exactly? You are meant to add them using the POIEditor. The bottom one is the one I use.

PETE_TWINTURBO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, but that was what I was doing to start with, several times, using the POI editor, just as you have described, but my sounds never worked. I tried removing them, using the POI editor, and re-installing using the POI editor, no change :x

That's when I started trying different ways, such as cut and paste, placing the file's directly on to my ICN 750.

I tried it again last night, logo works, written alert works, but no sound?

Can you find the standard alert files on your Navman? i.e. POI_alert.wav and POI_Notification, if so can you let me know were they are. Thanks. Smile
PETE_TWINTURBO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update everyone who viewed this, I had enough trying to get my own sounds to work, so I selected the default one's preinstalled on my 750, and guess what, they don't work either!

So I'm now thinking that my ICN 750 must be faulty in some way, I suspect it has a software problem which I think was caused by downloading the "update" version from the Navman website. (the default sounds did work before this)

I've tried reinstalling, again, but no luck. Does any one out there know what folder the sounds are stored in on there Navman?

WARNING! Download the update software for your icn 750 from the Navman web site, at your peril! Crying or Very sad
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, the update works for me. Confused I can't find the files on my iCN750 but was going to ask you if the originals played. I've searched for POI_ as part of the filename but they can't be found! They are in the Navman\SmartST 2006\MyPOISoundFiles\Data directory on my laptop, if that's of any use.

You have got a tick in the Audio alert box, haven't you?
PETE_TWINTURBO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim, Thanks for the reply and the info. I looked on my laptop in the navman directory, like you, and found the two default sound files, POI_alert and POI_notification, but my own sounds were in the MyPOISounds Files. I've copied them in to the data file, see if that makes a difference, I'll have to retry an install on the Navman.

Now I am really scratching my head, if you can't file the default files on your navman as well then I’m not sure what’s going on with mine. I was beginning to think that there was a missing file on mine, but maybe not? Sad

I do have the Audio Alert box ticked, I've un-ticked and re-ticked it many times!

I'll try the re-install now, but it looks a little cold out side, so I think I'll test it in the morning. I think everyone must think I’m nuts, driving past the same speed camera over and over again! :D

Thanks again, bye for now Pete.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to test sitting on your sofa, unless they were idiots at Navman and removed the Demo Mode from the 700's. All their earlier products have it (even the budget 320).

Set the Navman to Demo mode, set a start and destination location to drive past a speed cam .....

I don't have a 700 series so you may need to read the manual.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why drive past a camera? Set a route and do a demo of it.
PETE_TWINTURBO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Demo tip, but I was trying that at the beginning, I thought maybe the audio alert doesn't work in demo mode.

I know, I’m clutching at straws, but I was second guessing my self, that's why I ended up doing a real journey to make sure. It's a bit like those keyless card locks you get on Mercedes’, it's supposed to lock it's self when you walk away, but you can't be sure, so you have to leave the card with a mate, walk back to the car, and try the lock! :D

Well I think I've exhausted every idea, still no alert sounds, so I think I'll be sending it back. Crying or Very sad

Thanks for all your advice, cheers. Pete.
gamelyn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same problem with my custom wav.
Turns out the wav file wasn't really a wav after all.
Winamp reported it as a renamed mp3.
Kind of confusing as the POI options sound file player played it as a wav file.
I used the Winamp Wave out plugin to convert to true wav format, ran a Demo route and voila - it worked.
PETE_TWINTURBO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, must of admit, never thought of that! I'll give it a try tonight.

Thanks again! :D
gamelyn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit the file size should have given it away.
All the wav files I got from the internet for this purpose were not true wavs, even though they were mostly from wav only sites.

Needless to say there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth before the solution presented itself. Rolling Eyes
PETE_TWINTURBO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep you were right! That's what the problem was, even though the file names ended in .wav they weren't wav's! 8O

I thought the files did look a little small as well, but didn't think much to it.

Thanks for your help, I now have alert sounds on my navman! :D

Cheers. Pete.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: