Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - USA sat nav - buy here, there or just maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

USA sat nav - buy here, there or just maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chill999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: USA sat nav - buy here, there or just maps? Reply with quote

Hi

I need a sat nav solution but am not sure what are the best options, and more importantly the lowest cost.

I have a road trip to New England in July and definately need sat nav. I will also be going to Texas and Colorado in December, but do not really need sat nav. And will probably go to California 2/3 times a year after this (lots of family over there)

I currently have and aging PDA with TomTom Nav 5 installed - but it is tempermental - some time it takes 10 or do tries for it to recognise the SD card in in the slot. Also, it was gifted to me, and I think it might be a cracked download as the software is on a CDR with the product code written on (and not recognised at www.tomtom.com)

Do I...

1 Buy a USA & Canada map from TomTom for £67, and will this work even if I do not have a working product code.

2 Buy a sat nav online to be delivered to the hotel - amazon has a ViaMichelin X-930 for £90, and then sell it on ebay when I'm done - or can I buy UK maps for this

3 Buy a new sat nav in the UK that has UK and USA maps - I've seen a Navman ICN 550 for £135, or an Acer N35 Navigator PDA for £150 both on ebay as "buy it now"

4 Rent a car with sat nav for an extra £60

Let me know what you think is the best option is.

Thanks in advance

Chill
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably just rent a car with a GPS device. This certainly seems like the easiest solution, although not necessarily the cheapest.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying would seem to be a better option - given the frequency of your trips to US.

Benefits of owning your own over in rental car are:-

You can get familiar with it before you have to use it 'for real'
You can set POIs up before you go (and in the comfort of your own home!)
You know you have the latest available mapping (or at least the choice to buy it)
You know it works!

With regards to your TT 5 system (which is "illegal" as you aren't allowed to transfer software to another owner by TomTom) . Irrespective of this - if you purchase a TT US/Canada map this WILL be legal and the code should be recognised at TT website.

Can't help with your choice of unit - they all seem very reasonable prices - but check they are genuine products and not second-user as you will fall into the same trap as with your TT5 PDA if you aren't careful.

You could go for a TomTom One unit with UK (or UK/Europe) then download the US/Canada mapping for the same price. YOu would end up with a new everyday unit AND cover your trips to US.
chill999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil

Thanks for the info. I've decided to go for the Tom Tom One and buy the USA Maps - currently at 20% off :D

Chill

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: