Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 350 and 257 POI category limit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 350 and 257 POI category limit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gouezeri
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 350 and 257 POI category limit Reply with quote

Hi all,
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm new to the forum. I did do a good search and got a variety of opinions, so I'm looking for clarification.

On the Garmin site it states:
"Changes made from version 4.50 to 4.60:
* Corrected issue that prevents proper startup when custom POI files contain a large number of bitmaps"

From what I understand (and I'm new to all this!) it was an excessive number of bitmaps that was causing certain nuvi's to lock up, requiring flashing the firmware. The PGPSW Points of Interest Community Page states that "This issue has been resolved with version 3.90 of the firmware for nuvi 3x0 range." Though this doesn't seem to fit with the 350 ver. change history.

So, does this mean that the limit of 257 no longer applies for the 350 (and other 3**) provided they have been flashed with the latest firmware (currently 4.60 as of May 8, 2007)? Is it still a good idea to copy the files onto an SD card instead and not load onto the nuvi? Does this have any effect on usability/performance?

Also, does the limit of 257 apply to categories or sub-categories? Maybe it would be an idea to explain this on the download page (or a linked FAQ) along with any advantages of combining subcategories.

Great site and resources by the way, just a bit confusing for those of us who are new to it all and don't read the site regularly.

Thanks in advance for any advice
D.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, indeed. The 310 and 360 are on v3.90, whereas the 300 and 350 are on v4.60, and all of these are the only Nuvi units to have this problem fixed (and listed in the change notes by Garmin) so far.

You are correct the version number would appear strange to a 300/350 user, but the essence of the statement is correct - ie the 3x0 all now have a new firmware which should prevent this happening once this, or a later firmware, is installed.

Once again, for anyone else reading this, I can't state too strongly that at the moment, there is not a known fix to the problem on the 6x0 range, no one knows whether the 2x0 range are affected, nor whether any other Garmin ranges have been fixed, so it's still advisable to proceed with caution, and to look at storing the POI file on the SD card (search these forums for information on how to set this up) which always allows you to boot without the POIs by removing the SD card.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for pointing this out - i'd assumed the whole 30 range had been 'fixed'

will change the download page accordingly

MaFt
gouezeri
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
thanks for pointing this out - i'd assumed the whole 30 range had been 'fixed'

No problem, glad to have given something back to the forum!

I do appear to have hit another problem though. I'm having difficulty creating a logical structure for POIs. Basically I want to have information such as Accomodation, Banks, Fuel etc for the UK, France and Italy. However, POIloader doesn't seem to like dealing with subdirectories which have over 32 files. This is stopping me from creating a hierarchy such as /Garmin/POIS/Accomodation/ /Garmin/POIS/Banks etc., as when I point POILoader to /Garmin/POIS/ it complains that: "Only 32 POI Files are allowed in a subdirectory. The directory /Garmin/POIS/Accomodation exceeds that limit."

I can get around this by combining some subcategories, but I'd rather not do this with all of them. I suppose I could also rename the main poi.gpx file each time POILoader copies the files over to my SD card, creating separate *.gpx files for each category rather than one main POI file. However, I'm not sure about how to get the relevant files from various different sites and then combine them, without it turning in to a huge task.

I'm sure there is a logical and relatively easy way to do this, but I've yet to find it!

Any help very gratefully received.
(Mods, feel free to move this to a separate thread if you think best)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try:

FR - Accommodation
FR - Fuel
UK - Accommodation
UK - Fuel

etc

or just stick fuel togeher etc as it will only display the 50 nearest you anyway so uk ones wouldn't show

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: