Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Traffic, where is the DATA from ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Traffic, where is the DATA from ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil-w
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: TT Traffic, where is the DATA from ?? Reply with quote

Hi,
Just activated the months free trial with my new TT One (V4 !) of traffic.

Used in anger today for the first time with it linked to my Orange M3100 3G phone via bluetooth for the data downloads. Gizmos, don't you just luv'em :D .

On a 200 mile trip North'ish from the south coast round the M25 I was amazed how acurate it was and was wondering if anyone knows where the data is from, it even knew (by the icon) that vehicle had tipped over on a traffic island and re routed me to avoid it before Radio 2 put it out on the traffic report that everthing was stopped.

Does it use data from traffic master or is there some official input from something like www.trafficmap.co.uk

Interested to know before I subscribe for a year. Want to know it wasn't just fluke how accurate it was today Smile

Cheers Phil-w
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, Your device gets its information from TomTom's server, the actual data is provided by a company called iTIS Holdings, their home page can be found Here read up on the FVD principle as this is where / how most of the data is gathered - Mike
Phil-w
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I'll read up on it, always nice to know how the things work...

Someone may ask me in the future Wink

Cheers Phil-w
sweepdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Message deleted
sweepdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travel from North Manchester to Cheshire (via the M60 anticlockwise) and decided to give my free month's trial a go

My ETA before I connected to traffic was 9:30
Did a traffic update - this added 40 mins on to make new ETA 10:10, but I chose not to re-plan my journey

As I progressed around the M60, the traffic was quite heavy but moving
I could see the effect of all delays time in the traffic bar going down quite quickly when I was moving, but the ETA only jumped down (by roughly 10 mins) at the exact moment I passed each junction - which I suppose was a pleasant surpise

I arrived at my destination at around 9:40

Similar experience happened 2 days running

I think the traffic info is probably the worst case scenario, because in some areas there were delays on the inside line to get off the motorway.
I'm not so sure what would have happened had I replanned my journey from the traffic info available, but as it's a journey I do every day and I know it's like this it was worth the play. Shame they don't do a PAYG service

PS Please can a mod delete my previous post

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: