Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Please Help - I'm going nuts. Can't get new SD card to work.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Help - I'm going nuts. Can't get new SD card to work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TaZmAnOO7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Please Help - I'm going nuts. Can't get new SD card to work. Reply with quote

Please can someone help...

I just bought a brand new TomTom One UK Regional Edition, however, it came with the v660 maps instead of the latest v675... Anyway... I recently purchased a 1GB SD card to put the new UK and Ireland V6.75 maps on as my original TomTom v660 256MB card was too small... however, despite getting the files onto the 1GB card using TomTom Home, when I boot the TomTom off the card, it shows a picture of a blue SD card with a red cross on it...

I have literally tried everything but haven't been able to make it work.

1. The device is a new TomTom One Regional UK edition (it says V4 on the version screen).
2. The SD card is a new 1GB 150X Peak Xtreme Card which I have formatted using the FAT system.
3. The SD card works fine in my other electronic devices e.g. digital camera, but the TomTom won't boot off it for some reason.
4. The 150X card has the following specs:

Read Speed 22.6 MB/s
Write Speed 11.84 MB/s
Operating Voltage 2.7 - 3.6
ECC Supported
ISP Supported
0 - 52 MHz
Supports power down and sleep mode

I have tried:

1. Deleting the card and reinstalling many times but it makes no difference.
2. Checked to see if the TomTom downloaded files are corrupt - they aren't.
3. Checked the 1GB card in other devices (PS3, Digital Camera)- it works fine in them, just not in the TomTom.
4. I have tried performing a 30 seconds system reset (many times) and holding the power button down, but the problem is still there.
5. The TomTom switches on when connected to the PC using a USB cable and I can put files onto/off the 1GB card using TomTom Home and Windows Explorer with the card in the TomTom - however, the device will just not boot off the card.
6. I tried restoring an old backup of the 660 256mb card to the 1GB card using TomTom Home, but the software just hangs and the progress bar doesn't move...
7. If I click on 'My One' to use the virtual TomTom on the PC it says device not supported...
8. I tried manually transferring the old 660 256mb data to the 1Gb card using Windows Explorer and there has been a slight improvement... (I followed all the advice on these forums about showing hidden files etc.) - Now the device IS working in 'My One' ie. I can use it virtually on the PC... I have installed the new maps to the card etc. and the new maps work on the virtual screen only. When I disconnect the device from my PC, and use it as normal, it is still showing a blue SD card with a red cross on it and won't boot... (...)

Please can someone help... I really am losing it... I am still waiting to hear back from TomTom, but I really don't have any hope of them fixing this...
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems you've tried everything already.

I think it's either the SD card not suitable for the TT (have you another 1Gb card you could try?) or try reformatting it to Fat32.
TaZmAnOO7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebinman wrote:
Seems you've tried everything already.

I think it's either the SD card not suitable for the TT (have you another 1Gb card you could try?) or try reformatting it to Fat32.

Mate - you're a star(!) - I can't tell you how thankful I am to you - The only thing I actually hadn't tried was reformatting the card to FAT32... I was even about to buy another SD card... I just tried using FAT32 and everything's working fine now... Cheers!
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the SD association, SD cards should be formatted using a specific tool

e.g.
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/sd_formatter.html

Older version? here:
http://www.sdcard.org/Downloads.aspx

It seems to work out to use fat or fat32
"Generally, SD/SDHC Memory Card file systems formatted with generic operating system formatting software do not comply with the SD Memory Card specification."

Last edited by vroomfondel on Fri May 18, 2007 7:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have just bought a TomTom ONE, and a new SD card. I didn't format it, I just copied everything from the original card using Windows explorer, with "Show hidden files" and "Show comon file extentions", so they must come pre formated. I think, the blue SD card with the red cross through it means "TomTom is accessing the card, Do not remove", so it was trying to read the card. Also, I have read, TomTom HOME does not copy everything when you "Back up", So make sure you have a copy, using windows explorer, of your original SD card on your computer, should you need it, and I burnt it to CD too. I also use my copy of TomTom as a working copy, and keep the original in a safe place. Also some people have complained to TomTom about buying a brand new sat nav with "old" maps, and have been sent a copy of the new map to download through TomTom HOME.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: