Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - free subscription
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

free subscription
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: free subscription Reply with quote

Lets face it folks I aint ever going to get free subscription living on the Isle of wight am I?...
Its 15 miles wide and 24 miles long and already has 12 cameras so there isn't room for anymore!
Can't we have a ploughing competition or a carrot crunching race or even a sh**p sha**ing competition so I have a chance of availing this free subscription?
I know its not that important to have a speed camara database on a small Island but I do visit England every couple of years (once I have saved up the ferry fare).
Please consider my request administrators, thank you.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have a competition for guessing what my signature is Laughing

You should get up a petition throughout the island to get special, hugely reduced ferry fares for IoW registered residents - that fare is daylight robbery.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem for the PGPSW team is that it's a snowball effect.

It could be argued that so many other people travel along the same roads (motorways) as me and so I'm not likely to be the first to report a new camera.

If you look at it objectively, you do travel outside the Isle of Wight and it is, therefore, possible for you to come across a new camera whilst you're travelling.

With the sheer number of people looking out for and reporting new cameras and/or amendments, it could be said that you're only likely to be the first to report a new camera if it's right outside your house.

The chances of winning the jackpot in the National Lottery (Lotto or whatever you choose to call it) are extremely remore, but this doesn't entitle you to a lifetime of free tickets.

PGPSW have to draw the line somewhere and if they say you get free membership then where do they draw the line.

"No matter how long or how hard you shop for an item, after you've bought it, it will be on sale somewhere cheaper." Murhphy's Law

In the grand scheme of things, £2/month = 50p/week = 7p/day or £19/year = 5p/day - in that same time, how much do you spend on buying coffees, electricity to run your computer or subscribing to countless TV channels, many of which you rarely or never watch.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgrimsby don't believe a word from GPS_fan. Even when you have saved up to go "abroad", if you do get to be the first to see a new camera, it'll take you so long to catch the ferry back home to your computer that by the time you've reported it, pgpsw will be fed up with all the submissions that beat you to it. Twisted Evil

So buy an annual subscription and save the 2p a day towards a lottery ticket, or to buy what I bought, only cheaper.

Remember it was my suggestion first about free ferry for residents, then you can send me your pass to borrow next time I'm that way. Laughing

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe whatever you want, but if you're saving 2p/day towards a lottery ticket, you're not guaranteed to end up with anything...

....but £2/month gives you all the benefits revolving around this web site

'If we open a quarrel between past and present, we shall find that we have lost the future.'
or
'A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.'
both quotes from Winston Churchill
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save 2p a day and send it to me - think of me as a poor deserving pensioner.

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine the percentage of people on the I.O.W who have sat navs would be fairly small, therefore you have a greater chance of being the first to report a new camera there. Mind you, it could take years to verify. :P
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could persuade the powers that be on the IOW to install a stack of new cameras just outside the ferry terminal to catch us 'foreigners' and then you could be the first to report each one and gain several free memberships, whilst trapping tourists in the process Laughing Laughing

You're not as isolated on the IOW as you would be if you were the proud owner of St Helens fort in the Solent - no need for speed cameras there, but it still falls within the jurisdiction of the IOW Council - although you'd have the benefit of Basement Gun Deck, Observation/Upper Gun Deck and a new access ladder incorporating anti-intruder device. Alternatively, you could try No Mans Land Fort which has the benefit of two helipads.
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your frank and entertaining answers, Not many admin involved but why would they?
There is a petition to get ferry fares cut and to stop the big two (red funnel and wightlink) cartelling the whole affair .
I am one of the fixed link brigade and hope there will be a bridge/tunnel in the near future.....(no chance)
as for the cameras to catch the English as they disembark the ferries don't worry they are there (mobile) . I was caught three years ago ..they hide in the bushes so you never know where they are,,before anyone says they dont because they can't I am telling you they do because they can .
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth building a fixed link??

At the rate that Blackgang Chime etc are disappearing into the sea, Ryde Pier will be all that's left of the IOW by the time the beaurocrats do anything. Laughing
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know you can fit everyone on the planet on the IOW ? It will be a few years until the IOW is gone...London will go underwater way before the Island erodes away. By the way I think £2 a month is a bargain too but if I can get owt for nowt I will.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a Yorkshireman (or Scot) Exclamation

There's nowt so queer as folk Exclamation

mrgrimsby wrote:
Did you know you can fit everyone on the planet on the IOW ?

Yes but is that all at the same time?

You can fit everyone on the planet in my car - but it'll take a few shifts Exclamation Laughing Laughing

Oh yes, and a study in 2005 found determined that the IOW is sinking at a rate of 0.6mm per year...
...excluding those bits that keep falling off, obviously Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgrimsby wrote:
Thank you for your frank and entertaining answers, Not many admin involved but why would they?

GPS_Fan covered it very eloquently so I didn't feel that anymore needed to be added!

MaFt
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my name is mrgrimsby which is obviously not my real name and gps-fan supposes I may be scotts or yorkshire????
Please someone put him right!!!! Yorkshire,,,me!!!!! Twisted Evil
I will pay for my subscription ...here endeth my blagg :P
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Grimsby is in Lincolnshire, which isn't Yorkshire or Scotland - but when you said:
mrgrimsby wrote:
if I can get owt for nowt I will.
it sounded typically 'Yorkshire' although I did hazard a guess that you might just be being 'tight' - for which both Scots and Yorkshire folk have an infamous reputation.

Oh well, can't be right all the time...just most of it Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: