Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iqap 3950 ANY GOOD?????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iqap 3950 ANY GOOD?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgchimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: iqap 3950 ANY GOOD????? Reply with quote

Hi

Many thanks for your replies to my last posting, However i have now decided to buy a second user PDA and i am looking at the HP ipaq 3950 version with 128 meg card to work alongside my notebook

As i cant find any reviews on this model is it any good and is it out of date now. I intend to use Tom Tom 2 with the 3950 and the notebook for sat nav and nothing else, are there any faults with this 3950 i should know about.

The problem is i mainly need this for european coverage but the disks with tom tom are 5.6 gig, so how does this work, the notebook will accomadate this size of program but not the PDA

How do you load the software from the cd rom to the PDA Sorry if these questions are stupid to you but they are a mystry to me

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was (it's a discontinued model) a great iPAQ. It lacks Bluetooth so its no good if you're planning to use a BT GPS but otherwise has the later screen with excellent contrast and colour and a good loud speaker.

As for installing the software you run the installer on the PC/Laptop and choose which maps you wish to install on the memory card. You won't get more than a single country on a 128Mb Stoarge Card so would need wither a larger card or possible a microdrive if you wished to store multiple countries.

It is worth pointing out that TomTom won't work on a notebook, it is a PocketPC only application. For notebook use you may want to look at InfoMap Navigator which can be purchased with European coverage. See http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/infomap-navigator.php for a review.
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: iPAQ 3950 Reply with quote

I've had mine for about a year now, loaded with CoPilot 4 plus numerous other (freeware) programmes. Works great, after I got the hang of things.I still use my Dell laptop for European travels though, loaded with MapPoint Europe, for borderless navigation. CoPilot
pgchimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies i am a bit wiser now, i have just won the compaq 3950 with 128 meg card, startup software, link cable and case but no in car holder for £186 this is 3 months old

Any comments?? was it value for money or not, what is the going rate for this set up

Thanks again for your help
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even lowly 3630's still make £100 on eBay so that's not a bad price. Did this come with GPS & Software or is it just the bare iPAQ itself?
Trigrem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: iqap 3950 ANY GOOD ????? Reply with quote

I have had a 3950 for about 12 months, originally had problems with slow access to SD cards, this was improved by downloading updated driver from HP website, although there are variations depending on manufacturer of card. I have UK on 128MB card (92MB), France on 256MB card (215MB), Italy (164 MB) & Benelux (55MB) on 256Mb card, Germany Austria And Switzerland (229MB) on 256 MB card.
Found it very usefull in France last year when I had to get back from deepest France to the ferry in a hurry.

Doug

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: