Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Passwords
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Passwords

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skippy_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: TomTom Passwords Reply with quote

Hi Guys first post on this forum :D

I have Tom Tom GO510 i have activated the password feature that you have to input before you get access to the main menus.

Am i right in thinking that the only way this password can be taken off is if the memory card (if thats the right term) is replaced/ formated and new maps etc put back on so the main unit can be used agin.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go into Change Preferences | Set Owner (Page 6 of 7) and remove the Password in the Menus there.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
skippy_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying. :D

But what i meant was if the Unit was stolen the only way to remove the password would be either to replace the memory card or format it and install new maps.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skippy_uk wrote:

But what i meant was if the Unit was stolen the only way to remove the password would be either to replace the memory card or format it and install new maps.

Are you worrying on behalf of the thief, or are you the thief?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
skippy_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
skippy_uk wrote:

Are you worrying on behalf of the thief, or are you the thief?

Either way does it matter? I just want to know if i'm wasting my time with inputting the password all the time when it can be undone with what i'm asking

I suppose this is one of the forums that pre judge people and with holding info makes them feel more superior

off to do some googleing to find my own answer
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skippy_uk, I don't think they are pre-judgeing you, I think they just don't want to help a thief profit from someone elses loss, as you won't be the only one reading this thread. Another way of looking at it is, If you forget your password, how do you re-set it, again this would help a thief profit from your loss, so I don't think you will get an answer. Can someone answer this, can the password be re-set by a thief, or would a TomTom repair centre need to do it, with proof of purchase?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skippy_uk wrote:
I suppose this is one of the forums that pre judge people and with holding info makes them feel more superior

off to do some googleing to find my own answer

No, it's not one of those forums, but we do oppose telling people how to behave criminally. The way to ask your question was simple - "Is the password feature strong enough to protect my Tom Tom device against theft?" The way you approached it was easily interpreted as someone wanting to break the password. So please accept half an apology. And you don't need Google for the answer - the Search button at the top of the page will assist with that.

If you find the many threads which handle this question, in a nutshell you'll learn that whether the password is good enough to stop your device being used after it's been nicked is irrelevant - it won't actually stop it being nicked. Because the thief doesn't ask if it's got a password, he nicks it because it's there - you've lost your satnav and probably some glass too. So the top advice here is - Take the satnav device out of the car, also take the windscreen mount out, also clean the windscreen so that the telltale ring from the sucker is no longer there to tempt anyone to break in for a look in your glove box. If the password feature makes you feel happier, go ahead and use it (but I no longer do so, it just adds to the boot up time).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
skippy_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your replys. :D

With little expermenting i found out thsat this password feature isn't worth having it does nothing to protect your SD Card at all

As long as you got TomTom Home/ card reader on your pc then they can get access to all the info on the SD Memory card.

No wonder they are asy targets for crims when they are so easily changed and resold on.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to access the SD Card, but the PIN is embedded and it won't function as a Navigator without the PIN.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: