Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Whether or not to go for latest map - TomTom One Europe??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Whether or not to go for latest map - TomTom One Europe??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phileasfrog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Whether or not to go for latest map - TomTom One Europe?? Reply with quote

Hi

After some debate with TomTom they have now agreed to provide an update to the map via the PLUS menu of TomTom Home - I purchased the unit on 17 April. - So good news so far!

However I have noted with some concern various comments about the apparent removal of certain data / detail from the new version - presumably to keep it below the 1Gb limit. I don't drive in Central London and thus the new Congestion Charge mapping is of no interest to me.

Is there an overall consensus now as to whether it is worth the update, or should I just stick with what I have - v.660.1256??

Any thoughts gratefully received!
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot fully answer the question, as much becomes personal opinion and preferences, but I have been watching comments in this forum, and a similar one elsewhere, and I have formed the following opinions - perhaps others might like to add theirs:

1. Western Europe - Teleatlas 6.6 build 1219 - Some countries deleted from the original 6.25 versions. Speed warnings introduced but many in error, several errors to maps.

2. Western Europe - NavTeq 6.6 build 1256 - Also has some countries deleted but appears to have fewer mapping errors and fewer speed limit errors.

3. Western Europe - Teleatlas 6.75 - 1 Gb version - Much "background" data removed ( forests rivers etc etc) to enable it to fit on a 1Gb card - mapping data similar to Navteq 6.6

4. Western & Central Europe - Teleatlas 6.75 - 1.67 Gb version - Background info retained, some reports of errors in UK mapping but also reports of improved French mapping.

Now my interpretation of what others are posting may well be wrong, but this is how I read the situation at the moment... confused ?? I certainly am... none of the available maps seem to be "error free", and there are conflicting reports about those errors !!

With luck (?) this thread may grow with other comparative results on which decisions can be made ... I'm hanging on for a while !! Smile

Entwood
Phileasfrog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the useful response and I can understand your "wait and see" stance. However, you refer to some countries having been removed from v660.1256. I wasn't aware of this and would be interested if you have more specific info.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poland and the Czech Republic were on the Go700 but were removed in all Western Europe maps available since (and the 710)
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not buy a larger card (dirt cheap now), change the name of your original set of maps and have both. You can then make up your own mind which is better
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
ianb11
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
Why not buy a larger card (dirt cheap now), change the name of your original set of maps and have both. You can then make up your own mind which is better
Robin

How do you do this?

I'm in the same boat as Phileasfrog in that I have managed to get a free upgrade to the maps from TomTom & I can't decide whether to get them or not.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your free download "updated" map - you'll not get much more free from TT in the future!!. Using TT Home, you'll end up with the new map in TT Home to install at your convenience. Do backup (using Windows Explorer, copy everything to your computer hard disk), then delete the existing map and install the new one. If you don't like it, put the other one back on instead. Note - you'll "lose" your map settings, which are stored in the mapsettings.cfg file in the map folder, to recover it, you copy from your backup on your HD - take note of the mapsettings.cfg filename in the new downloaded map folder and make your replacement copy (from the old map) have the same name - at the very least, look for uppercase letters. It won't be necessary to rename the old map - even if it has the same name, it'll reside separately on the device and the only problem will be deciding which one you're using.

On my GO710, I had Western Europe with a 2Gb SD card which wouldn't accept the new map until I deleted the old one. However, after installing the new one, I found I then had enough space to put the old one back. So I can now switch between the two.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how to Change The On-screen Name Of A Map so (if you can fit them both on your sd card/harddrive) you won't have the confusion as to which is which.
ianb11
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps, appreciate your help.
Phileasfrog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all - very helpful advice!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: