Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A Few Questions About My TomTom One
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A Few Questions About My TomTom One

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: A Few Questions About My TomTom One Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, Bought myself a TomTom One, New Edition UK and IE today, haven't even switched it on yet, been reading the various help pages on the site. When I get my head round it all, I will have a go at installing the speed camera database, I wan't to use the speed zoned vertion this time, and I want the spoken alerts, but I will back up the original SD card First. So my questions are,

1/ How big is the Original SD card, and how big is the TomTom program, and is the card fast enough to show Poi's and Audible warnings without slowing down?
2/ Do I need a bigger SD card before I put the speed cams on, and voices, and enough room for it to calculate a route. If I do, how big a card?
3/ If I back up the original SD card, is it ok to use it as a working card, or would I be better off copying it to another card, and keeping the original as a second backup?
4/ How many POi's can I put on the TomTom, and will the speed zoned database excead this limit?
5/ Whats this TomTom HOME all about, I know you can do a backup, download maps, and software updates, but do you need it, can you do it without it, or if you don't update maps etc, do you need it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
RQ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

1.(a) 256Mb
(b) about 190Mb
(c) Yes - card is fast enough

2.(a) No - speed cams
(b) No - voices but depends on how many - voices quite big - 1Mb
each or thereabouts

3. Do not use the original card as the working card - buy another 1 or 2 Sd cards and use them. I have 2 working SD cards - in case 1 gets corrupt en route - I can just switch to the other card. 512Mb cards - probably 2 for £10. Put the original away.

4. (a) You are allowed 70 .ov2 files in addition to the Tomtom POIs already on your TT. The .ov2 file is the POI file and will come with a .bmp file. And if you get cameras from this site you can also have a file with a .ogg extension. (These files all come with the same file name) The reason I say .ov2 is that they are the easiest to search for and count.

4.(b) The speed zoned set is 32 or 33 .ov2 files. So, No - they wont exceed the limit unless you already have enough on your TT to take you over the 70

5. TT home - read all about it on the TT website. Yes you can do without it but ....................

Regards

TT1v3 6.560 1713 UK&NI 660.1199
TTG700 6.520 1387 MoWE 660.1219
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RQ wrote:
4. (a) You are allowed 70 .ov2 files in addition to the Tomtom POIs already on your TT.
You can have up to 100 Custom POI Categories loaded to the device Wink , I would just add you need to back-up the device to the PC BEFORE you do anything with it at all - Mike
RQ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did I get 70 from?

TT1v3 6.560 1713 UK&NI 660.1199
TTG700 6.520 1387 MoWE 660.1219
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you were thinking you have space for about 70 other poi categories once you had installed the zoned camera files.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your answers, I now have a TomTom one with the speed zoned database, and voice warnings, all up and running on my new SD card. Just a few quick questions,
1/ When I switch it on, it says "Turn left at next Junction" or whatever, the demo I was playing with is still running, how do you turn the demo off, I have told it to "Ask for a Destination" when I start up, but it is still talking to me, and how do you use it without a route set, will it work as just a camera detector as you drive around?
2/ I have turned it on and off several times today, on one occation I heard a short drum roll, but it has only done it once, should it do it all the time.

I went to PC World for my SD Card, I asked for a 512mb fast read card, after a few puzzled looks they said "Sorry, we don't know what you mean", so I went to Currys, They knew what a fast read card was, but they didn't have a 512mb one, but they had a 1GB card for £39.99, also on the rack was a 2GB card for £29.99, £10 cheaper (Same Make), so I had that instead, Thanks PC World, Laughing Out Loud.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to change preferences/ show ALL menu options then you will have full access to all the menu functions, including the Clear Route icon which will allow you to drive around without a route planned for speed camera warnings - make sure you have NOT checked the Warn Only if POI on Route checkbox for each of the camera POI files for this to work though.

Drum roll normally indicates the unit has re-booted, first time power up after a sesion connected to the PC or you had removed the memory card, don't worry about it, but as a tip make sure you know where the reset switch is on the device just in case you need it.

Nice one with the memory card, PC World - I wonder how they make profit at times with stupid prices like this, Currys and Comet are just as bad though for deals like this, it pays to look around - well done - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: