Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Symbols
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Symbols

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trigrem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: POI Symbols Reply with quote

I have added POI's and also created catergories for them in the POI list, but would like to have a different sybbol for each new catergory. Is this possible and if so HOW.
Thanks in hope. Question
Doug
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trigrem,

Have a look at this thread here

Good luck, once you've done the first one it does gets easier! Wink

HTH,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trigrem,

I’ve just re-read your post after I posted my reply and I don’t think that I answered your question did I? Rolling Eyes Apologies for that! Wink

I don’t think you can have categories within one POI list. I’m sure that you need a separate POI list (and presumably BMP) for each “category”.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Trigrem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: POI Symbols Reply with quote

Hi Privateer
Thanks for your reply. I think I have misled by using the word "catergories".
What I am doing is marking on the map a POI, allocating a "Type" and a "Name".
I cannot seem to add the "Type" into the POI list and on the map the symbol is always the same ie a black starwheel shape on a sand coloured background within a rectangle.
If I could have a different Symbol picture for each "Type" at least I would be able to differentiate between types on the map even if I cannot put the "Type" into the POI list.
I have looked at the thread you suggested and if the Bitmaps refered to are related to the picture symbols one can have on a map to represent POI types then what I want to know is if I produce a picture how do I get it on to the TOM TOM map.
Sorry if this a lot of confusing questions but I am on a steep learning curve.

Doug
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if you've already created your various POI categories. Take a look in the folder where your map data is stored - you'll probably find a .ov2 file and a .bmp file for each category.

The icon you're describing is the default .bmp file that TomTom Navigator 2 creates. If you want a different one, you'll need to change the .bmp file relating to the category you want a different icon for.

The thread privateer mentioned gives you some hints on what to do (and what not to do) when creating the .bmp file.

David
Trigrem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: POI Symbols Reply with quote

David
Thanks for your reply,from it I have concluded that I cannot change the default immage that TomTom creates and the only way to have an image I want is to create my own POI catergory and a list of POI 's in it together with a suitable bitmap image for that particular catergory.

Then I must find a way to convert the file so that Tom Tom will accept it.

I will investigate further on how to carry this out. with my fingers crossed.

Doug
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused as to your reply. Each POI category you create finishes up as a .ov2 file in your map folder. The icon is the .bmp file of the same name in the same location. If you had Personal.ov2, the icon would be Personal.bmp - you should be able to find these files using a card reader or ActiveSync's Explore feature (select My Pocket PC first).

There are some restrictions on these icons - they really should be the same size as the default one that TomTom Navigator 2 creates (22 by 22 pixels), and using excessive colour depth can cause TomTom Navigator 2 to crash when started up. 8 bit paletted is recommended - any more can cause trouble.

I can't give specific advice on creating these icons, as I use Corel Photo-Paint 10, which is a rather expensive package that I wouldn't think many here have.

If you download a few categories from the Pocket GPS POI Sync service, you can see how it works - though not all have icons I regard as that great. Take a look at the speed camera and Maplin POIs for examples of how I believe it should be done.

David
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

I use Windows XP. I have tried using Paint Shop Pro (PSP) but I've found that it's more complicated than necessary. I tend to use the free Windows Paint program for designing and modifying POI BMPs.

HTH,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Trigrem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: POI Symbols Reply with quote

Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply, I have produced an image as a bitmap using Paint, and also seen your reply on another forum to Mel with some usefull info on producing ones own list of POI's.
So with the helpfull replies I have received from you and David W I am going to give it a go, fingers crossed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: