Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Where are the database downloads?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are the database downloads?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwertyuio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Where are the database downloads? Reply with quote

I must be very stupid but the site says "Speed Camera Warnings are free with Membership" and "You are a registered member" but I cann't find any database files to download.

Where do I download the speed camera files?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras

Have you subscribed? i.e. paid for the database yet?
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras

Have you subscribed? i.e. paid for the database yet?

I think PaulB2005 made a mistake.
The database is 'free', - to paid up members. :D
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think PaulB2005 made a mistake.

*cough* Of course. Must be thinking of something else....

qwertyuio - have you paid for a Subscription?
qwertyuio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I'm not up in the "new-speak" language where free means pay.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify.

You pay to subscribe. When you are a subscriber there are several benefits. One of these is the ability to download the Camera Database.

Subscribers also have access to a Subscribers Forum.

It's a total package, not just linked to the Camera Database. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are the database downloads? Reply with quote

qwertyuio wrote:
the site says "Speed Camera Warnings are free with Membership"
Can you provide a link to the page from which you took your quote? I've searched, but I can't find it. If you can post a link, we can get the error corrected.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are the database downloads? Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
qwertyuio wrote:
the site says "Speed Camera Warnings are free with Membership"
Can you provide a link to the page from which you took your quote? I've searched, but I can't find it. If you can post a link, we can get the error corrected.

Just for devilment I used the Google search box bottom left for "free database" searching in PocketGPSWorld and got this ...
Quote:
Become a Member of PocketGPSWorld.com
The official PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database is available for free with both monthly and yearly subscription. OUR DATABASE - THE FIRST ...
www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php - Similar pages

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are the database downloads? Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Just for devilment I used the Google search box bottom left for "free database" searching in PocketGPSWorld and got this ...
Quote:
Become a Member of PocketGPSWorld.com
The official PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database is available for free with both monthly and yearly subscription. OUR DATABASE - THE FIRST ...
www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php - Similar pages

Hi Dennis,

I think that the Google searches a cached copy of the site, rather than doing a "live" search, because when you look at the link, it shows you "http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php", but if you follow the link it takes you to "http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras", and that page does not contain the phrase "free database". I tried searching for the OP's quote, and it returns the same page.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are the database downloads? Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
Hi Dennis,
I think that the Google searches a cached copy of the site, rather than doing a "live" search, because when you look at the link, it shows you "http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php", but if you follow the link it takes you to "http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras", and that page does not contain the phrase "free database". I tried searching for the OP's quote, and it returns the same page.
Yes, but note I did say "Just for devilment". I too tried following it through and couldn't find it. However, the find result does give a statement in the site description - not being clever with cash, I'm afraid I don't know whether that counts and whether something should or even could be done about it? I have to add I'm no good with search either - when I enter "free database" my results are for "free" and "database", NOT "free database". It is easy to find the statement that the cameras are a free add-on to membership. Trouble is, we seem to have debated this pedantry many times. I perfectly understand it, but many don't appear to. Crying or Very sad There's not enough emphasis on the fact that the cameras are a "members only" benefit (like drinking in the Private Members' Bar perhaps). Maybe that statement would read better saying that cameras are available to subscribed members at no extra charge?

Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwertyuio wrote:
Thanks all. I'm not up in the "new-speak" language where free means pay.

I was confused by this initially, but it's only £2.00 for a month's subscription - which allows you to download the speed camera database - so you can't complain at that!

It's a highly-regarded database, so well worth the money as far as I'm concerned!

Mike

:D
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are the database downloads? Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
BGF wrote:
Hi Dennis,
DennisN wrote:
Yes, but note I did say "Just for devilment".
Laughing
DennisN wrote:
I too tried following it through and couldn't find it. However, the find result does give a statement in the site description - not being clever with cash, I'm afraid I don't know whether that counts and whether something should or even could be done about it?
I think the only thing that can be taken from that search result is that the site USED to say that. I PRESUME that the Google cache will eventually refresh. I don't know whether there is any way that pocketgpsworld can force a refresh.
DennisN wrote:
I have to add I'm no good with search either - when I enter "free database" my results are for "free" and "database", NOT "free database".
That seems to be a "feature" of the phpBB software that is used to run the forum. (We software gurus use the word "feature" to describe a bug that we don't want to admit is a bug!)
DennisN wrote:
It is easy to find the statement that the cameras are a free add-on to membership. Trouble is, we seem to have debated this pedantry many times. I perfectly understand it, but many don't appear to. Crying or Very sad There's not enough emphasis on the fact that the cameras are a "members only" benefit (like drinking in the Private Members' Bar perhaps). Maybe that statement would read better saying that cameras are available to subscribed members at no extra charge?
Yeah, there does also appear to be some confusion over the terminology (including me when writing this reply Rolling Eyes ). You have to be Registered first, but then Member/Subscriber seem to be synonymous!

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are the database downloads? Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
I think the only thing that can be taken from that search result is that the site USED to say that. I PRESUME that the Google cache will eventually refresh. I don't know whether there is any way that pocketgpsworld can force a refresh.
Thanks so much BGF, after many years of ignorance your post has at last drawn the scales from my eyes - I honestly never knew that search engines do not search! For ages, I have sat back in amazement that searches finding zillions of results take less than half a zillionth of a second. Now they're all exposed as merely quick un-filing clerks.

I reckon you are right - the search result contains details from over a year ago, before PGPSW decided they could no longer run the site on donations alone and introduced the membership fees. By that time I had already been using the site for about six months and whilst my first introduction had been for the (then free) cameras, I had also found a great deal of Satnav help from the forums. I had decided when the announcement about fees was made, that I would happily pay the small fee to join. 'Course, it's easy for me to say that because I later found that I was one of the fortunate ones to be awarded a free lifetime membership in recognition of the camera submissions I had made before that time. But I'd still willingly pay £19 a year for the site membership. I just wish there was some way to avoid these regular grumbles about "free" cameras.

JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are the database downloads? Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
BGF wrote:
Thanks so much BGF, after many years of ignorance your post has at last drawn the scales from my eyes - I honestly never knew that search engines do not search! For ages, I have sat back in amazement that searches finding zillions of results take less than half a zillionth of a second. Now they're all exposed as merely quick un-filing clerks.

Clever isn't it! 8) Laughing

DennisN wrote:
I just wish there was some way to avoid these regular grumbles about "free" cameras.
Most of the grumbles seem to come from those who were members BEFORE the site became subscription based! The OP in this thread is not one of those, so there must still be something misleading "new starts".

Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are the database downloads? Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
Most of the grumbles seem to come from those who were members BEFORE the site became subscription based! The OP in this thread is not one of those, so there must still be something misleading "new starts".

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said:
BGF wrote:
Yeah, there does also appear to be some confusion over the terminology (including me when writing this reply Rolling Eyes ). You have to be Registered first, but then Member/Subscriber seem to be synonymous!

I think people who have registered on the site should be referred to as 'members', while those who have paid a subscription should be referred to as 'subscribers', particularly on the 'official' pages. A free lifetime subscription should be offered to those who are the first to submit a new static camera, making them 'lifetime subscribers'. Simple really! Wink
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: