Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unable to activate PocketGPSWorld.com POIs on TomTom 910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to activate PocketGPSWorld.com POIs on TomTom 910

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norderney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Unable to activate PocketGPSWorld.com POIs on TomTom 910 Reply with quote

I have a TomTom 910.

I have just tried download a POI category from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=POIs.

I selected the TomTom Sat Nav system

From Select POIs I selected Tesco Fuel from within the Fuel catagory (I was unable to download the complete Fuel catagory as a single file, as I am running IE7 with Vista Ultimate!!)

I then downloaded the Tesco Fuel zip file to my computer.

I then unzipped it onto the Western_and_Central_Europe folder of my TomTom 910. So I now I have 2 files in that folder called Tesco_Fuel.BMP and Tesco_Fuel.ov2.

I then tried to enable this POI but could not find it listed. I went into Change Preferences, then Enable/Disable POIs, but Tesco Fuel was not there.

What am I doing wrong?
norderney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already downloaded the Pocket GPS Speed Camera database successfully and these are showing ok. I know there is a limit of 100, but this does not include the ones supplied by TomTom?

As I have only added the Speed camera databse I should not have exceeded 100?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see anything you've done wrong...

Only things I can think of (apologies if some of these are obvious) are, in no particular order - thinking on my feet...

You have definitely extracted the two files and not copied the zip file to the map folder?
You have put them in the RIGHT map folder (if you have two maps, they each have their own folder).

There HAS been a number of people reporting problems with the slightly peculiar way that these POI.zip files are generated when you ask for a download, but it usually only exhibits itself with the "combined" downloads or with Macs or "odd" browsers.

Have you tried the alternative download method where you tick the "Show link" box beside the "download" box - that makes a difference for some people.

You could also try downloading a POI file from somewhere else as a test, to see if it is a problem with your installation or the file you downloaded.

Finally, AFAIK there is no reason why you can't install Firefox with Vista.
Someone reported yesterday that they couldn't get the downloads to work with IE. They tried with Firefox and it worked first time!
norderney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to try deleting some of the OV2 files on my TomTom, what are the following files used for:
autovelox_IT...
Blitzer_AT...
Blitzer_DE...
Fartkamera_SE...
Fartsbok_NO...
Flitspaal_NL...
Kamerat_FI...

Or is it definate that none of the original TomTom files are affect the "no more than 100 POI files" rule?
norderney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had about 110 ov2 files on my map folder on my TT910.

I deleted some of my Pocket GPS Speed Camera files as a test, and I can now access the POIs that I have downloaded. So obviously all the ov2 files pre loaded by Tom Tom do affect it.

I need to know what ov2 files I can safely delete otherwise I will not be able to download any more POIs!!!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I would remove ALL the ov2 files from the map folder and start again, there is a limit of 100 Custom POI, this does not include the built in POI or the TomTom Speed Cameras.

Make sure you have a full back-up then delete the ov2 files from your map folder.

Work out exactly which POI files you need, notice I say need, which is different to what is available, often people are tempted to download everything and then try installing to the device.

Use the option to create a single POI file rather than lots of individual ones, for example Fuel, does it really matter what the supplier is - just the fact you can get fuel from the location. - The same applies to ATM's, all you need is money from the cash machine, the logo isn't that important. Once you have your POI collection sorted out load it to the map folder, configure the alerts etc - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Tom Tom OV2 cameras ARE "custom POIs" and DO count against the 100 allowance. ...
Quote:
autovelox_IT...
Blitzer_AT...
Blitzer_DE...

It is only if/when you do an update of the Tom Tom cameras that the originals are taken out of the picture and become "built-in" not counting against the 100. Most of us do not bother with the TT update because we're going to use the proper PGPSW ones. After my first "untouched" backup, I deleted the OV2, BMP and VER cameras from my device, but in order to test this theory, I went to my original backup, then "checked for updates" and accepted a TT update of cameras (it was not a subscription update, just came from on high when logged in), whereupon the original OV2s disappeared. I never bothered doing a test of those "new" cameras. I still have the original autovelox, blitzer etc, etc Tom Tom Cameras on PC, but have deleted them all from my device.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: