Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi and problems booting
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi and problems booting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi and problems booting Reply with quote

Would like to see this stickied as to try and find a common theme for Garmin Nuvis of all types not rebooting for one reason or another. I have had two 660's, well documented here, in two months that have failed with a "loading maps" screen where it stays with the power on and if you take the power lead out, it switches off. It is not recognised by the PC. I was loading some POI's and speed cameras from here usiong POILoader from Garmin's site where it told me the file was successfully created and then refused to boot up.
Many others have mentioned theirs have failed in response to my tales of woe and I am sure both Halfords, where I bought my two from, and Garman would be interested in the findings. You can keep your head in the sand for so long then breathing gets a bit difficult!!
Doug
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I fully support this becoming a sticky, can you give a guide as to how many POIs you loading in one go...?

I've had 50,000 on my 310 without problems, so I'm interested to know if we can collectively pin down a rough maximum figure...
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Difficult to pinpoint the number. Reply with quote

That's a bit difficult to remember to be really honest. It certainly was not a case of tick the lot, trouble was if you ticked the shopping list, then there were lots of different stores in that category. Does each one of those constitute a separate POI? If so, there were quite a few but certainly it did not seem excessive at the time. I loaded about the same amount last night to my TT910 and it had no problems with it.
If I had another one, I could have another go - make my third one then!
Doug
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this happened to me in December (another thread), I had loaded only the Pocket GPS camera database and a few hundred other POIs, so way short of 50,000.

I see that one of the changes in the latest Unit Software (v5.20) is "Fixed problem introduced in version 4.00 that could cause files on the device to get corrupt" - might this be related in any way? (I'm still looking for some definite info in these forums before I dare try again!).
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats more than me - 32,000+ on my 660 without problems.

I have enabled GARMIN lock on my nuvi. When attached to the PC it is recognised directly after I enter the the unlock code before trying to load maps. I do have to use the GARMIN supplied cable; generic USB A to mini cables will not work - but both cables I have from GARMIN (one for nuvi and one for GPS60 GPS) work. They must do something to them - perhaps some "coded" wiring at the mini end (more pins at this end) to tell the GARMIN unit to go into mass storage mode?
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my Halfords store, they took my 660 to another store where a guy had a computer and sofware that Garmin use to sort out any problems, so I was told. It defeated even him.
I have seen a workround supplied by Garmin themselves to enable the Nuvi to be recognised by the computer in Device Manager. It did - for about 5 seconds - then dropped off the plot!
Sorry, but something is radically wrong somewhere and Garmin must investigate it. Surely, with all the returns they are getting, some bells must be ringing somewhere.
Tell us what is going on please? I mean, it's an expensive brick at £400 a piece!
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last word for a little while on this. I have emailed Garmin my concerns, listing what I did before my problems manifested themselves and will await a reply hopefully.
I have nothing against Garmin - I loved those 660's - but if it doesn't do the job because a reasonably common fault so others are reporting, then it needs sorting and fast.
Will keep you informed but we need evidence of others that have suffered the same problem please.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Difficult to pinpoint the number. Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
Does each one of those constitute a separate POI?
Every single item within every single file is a separate POI, so, for example, the PGPSW speed camera database is over 11,000 POIs before you start adding others. If you use Ash's utility (Camera Manager) to automatically download and setup the alerts for you, this works differently, and turns the PGPSW camera database into over 22,000 POIs.

If you added the Shopping category POIs you would now be up to over 33,000. Adding all categories (on top of Ash's utility) would put the unit at well over 125,000 POIs (based on today's number of POIs available for download), and that's just for the UK!

So far, I've heard users with 32,000 and 50,000 without problems, but 78,000 caused a problem.

I would recommend everyone kept well below 50,000 until there is any information from Garmin on the maximum number of POIs that their untis support.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does sound sensible, I must admit. Surely Garmin should be able to say what is the maximum number of POI's their machines should be able to take before crashing?
The thing is they advised someone who told them of the problem not to use the camera/poi data from here yet there is a link from their own website to this site anyway!
Perhaps we should not be adding any more? Want an answer.
Doug

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: