Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Favorites: TTN5 to TTN6 Doesn't Work
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorites: TTN5 to TTN6 Doesn't Work
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Favorites: TTN5 to TTN6 Doesn't Work Reply with quote

Tried grafting my TTN5 Favorites into TTN6 according to the instructions here and here, but it doesn't work.

I put my old West_Map.cfg into the new US_-_Western_Region folder, then rename it to MapSettings.cfg. Run TTN6, Menu|Navigate to and Favorites is grayed out. And it doesn't know where Home is either.

I am suspicious of Explorer, as it refuses to let me see file extensions and there doesn't seem to be any way to turn them on. Maybe I've actually renamed the file Mapsettings. I hate not being allowed to see.

But this wouldn't explain why this method worked for the South_Central map? How to troubleshoot it? I don't know the address of many of my favorites, so can not enter them manually.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Favorites: TTN5 to TTN6 Doesn't Work Reply with quote

Quantum wrote:
Tried grafting my TTN5 Favorites into TTN6 according to the instructions here and here, but it doesn't work.

I am suspicious of Explorer, as it refuses to let me see file extensions and there doesn't seem to be any way to turn them on. Maybe I've actually renamed the file Mapsettings. I hate not being allowed to see.
The second link you posted tells you how to get Explorer to display file extensions Question And Explorer should also show you whether you have renamed the file Mapsettings or MapSettings.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those instructions are for Winduhs on the PeeCee, not on the iPaq. It is not possible to make Explorer in WM5 display extensions, AFAICT. What a stupid limitation. The iPaq is the only place I run Winduhs, and I feel sorry for you guys every time I have to mess with it.

Anyway, I renamed the West file just as I had Major Roads and South Central. They worked, but the one I really need, didn't. And just for good measure I erased that .cfg and tried again with my old file; still doesn't work. No idea how to troubleshoot.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum wrote:
Those instructions are for Winduhs on the PeeCee, not on the iPaq. It is not possible to make Explorer in WM5 display extensions, AFAICT. What a stupid limitation. The iPaq is the only place I run Winduhs, and I feel sorry for you guys every time I have to mess with it.

Anyway, I renamed the West file just as I had Major Roads and South Central. They worked, but the one I really need, didn't. And just for good measure I erased that .cfg and tried again with my old file; still doesn't work. No idea how to troubleshoot.
I'm sure that even if you can't use Windows, you can still use Google Exclamation Have a look at something like Resco Explorer 2005 for Pocket PC (v5.42) Or, is there a plugin for your chosen OS that will allow you access to the file structure on the PPC? Or can you use a card reader to explore the file structure?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
I always find it amusing when a fanboy feels sorry for the vast majority whilst asking for assistance.
Anyway..
What BGF said or, convert the favorites to POIs in TTN5 the import into TTN6. Also save a copy of the POI file on your whatever as a backup.
This has been posted several times.

Amusing, because I ask for help with your broke-ass OS? Amusing because of the limitations and restrictions of your OS, which is big, dumb, and patronizing?

Trust me, I wouldn't be here if TomTom ran on Opie. I would ditch WM5 so quick; because Opie is far and away more functional, useful, stable, and aesthetic than WM5. Then I wouldn't have to disturb you Winduhs Masters.

I use a Linux NDIS driver to communicate with the iPaq, and find that the .cfg file is named properly. TomTom or Winduhs is not using it correctly/as represented.

'Posted several times'? Remember, you don't have to read this, much less reply if it's a bother. I haven't used any Winduhs save for Mobile for 9 years, and so I am not up to the skill levels of you 'gurus'. And I do not spend my time on this forum, so if you are annoyed with my thread, please stay away. If not, show a little heart.

Looks like I'll just depend on TomTom for this.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
laurie53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to quantum, I didn'y really see the answers given as real solutions.

I couldn't make head or tail of them, and I read this forum twice a day.

Some us, while not exactly beginners, still need simple answers

Laurie
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
Or, is there a plugin for your chosen OS that will allow you access to the file structure on the PPC?

Quantum wrote:
I use a Linux NDIS driver to communicate with the iPaq, and find that the .cfg file is named properly.

laurie53 wrote:
Question Question Question Question Rolling Eyes

Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Laurie. You are one of the remaining kind people left.

I have now found that TomTom is muggering up my file. I copy West-Map.cfg into the new TTN6 USA_West directory, rename it to MapSettings.cfg and run TomTom.

I Menu|Navigate to, but Favorites is still grayed out. I run Resco Explorer and find that my .cfg file is still 14.2kB, as it should be. I go back into (the still running) TomTom and Exit. Now the MapSettings.cfg is 876B.

So TTN6 is destroying my .cfg for come reason. I put my TTN5 West_Map .cfg file into my TTN6 USA_West directory, renamed it properly, but TTN6 is summarily destroying it. We all know it writes the .cfg file when it exits, but it should not destroy it.

Let's see whether one of these Winduhs Prodigies can explain this, while they're polishing up their toy GUI. If they can't, they need to just lighten up -- especially on you Laurie. Makes me angry when weak, insecure guys pick on a chick as an easy target.
laurie53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
BGF wrote:
Or, is there a plugin for your chosen OS that will allow you access to the file structure on the PPC?

Quantum wrote:
I use a Linux NDIS driver to communicate with the iPaq, and find that the .cfg file is named properly.

laurie53 wrote:
Question Question Question Question Rolling Eyes

This illustrates my point exactly. Is this supposed to be a solution, an explanation, a question or what?

Incidentally, Quantum, thanks for the defence, but I am not a chick!

I use the European spelling. No offence taken

Laurie
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum wrote:
I have now found that TomTom is muggering up my file. I copy West-Map.cfg into the new TTN6 USA_West directory, rename it to MapSettings.cfg and run TomTom.

I Menu|Navigate to, but Favorites is still grayed out. I run Resco Explorer and find that my .cfg file is still 14.2kB, as it should be. I go back into (the still running) TomTom and Exit. Now the MapSettings.cfg is 876B.

So TTN6 is destroying my .cfg for come reason. I put my TTN5 West_Map .cfg file into my TTN6 USA_West directory, renamed it properly, but TTN6 is summarily destroying it. We all know it writes the .cfg file when it exits, but it should not destroy it.
A couple of questions that might help you to diagnose the problem that you are having. Ignoring your old settings for a moment, if you set up some favourites and the home location and exit and restart TTN6, are they still there?

Also, not having any USA maps, TTN5 or TTN6, I can't tell how the area covered related to each other, but is it possible that one of your old favourites is not in the area covered by the new map, and that this is throwing TT?

Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whups, sorry Laurie, but nevertheless you are still one of the remaining kind people in this world. I've substantially figured this out now, so I can write more clear instructions.

I am a very busy person, and I just don't have time to go combing through scores of posts and all the detritus to ascertain every detail when I need to do something, and forums used to be a place where you could get helpful advice. But I guess we live in a Brave New World now, as these guys just have an attitude toward people... after all the help we gave them when they were just starting out, they behave like this. Maybe they were just raised wrong, but it does bode ill for the future.

Here's what I infer so far. I'm sure these Winduhs Prodigies will correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.

Background
TomTom 5 and 6 store all our favorites, TT settings, and other changes made into a configuration file. It's in binary form, so it's not something we can examine in a text editor, which is the main reason for the problems people have been having. The only reason I can see for TomTom obscuring the data is for proprietary reasons, to impede competitor figuring out how they do things. But Obscurity Is No Security, and this only impedes customers.

TomTom 5 vs TomTom 6
This configuration file's format has not changed from TTN5 to TTN6, and so it should be a simple matter of moving it from the old map directory to the new one. In my case unfortunately, TTN6 does not recognize my file and is just erasing it. For many it works, but others have had my problem too, and so BGF recommends (above) converting them from Favorites to Points of Interest, which I think is a stupid way to handle it. I don't want them awkward POIs. Apparently no one here is technical to have figured out what is going wrong.

Set it up
Some of the time it works though, and you may be lucky. To make this change, start with TTN5 on your iPaq, with your Favorites installed. Cradle the iPaq, and ActiveSync should run automatically and sync the computer with the iPaq. When that's done hit the Explore button on Activestync; this opens an Explorer window so you can look at files on the iPaq, and transfer them to and fro.

Locate TomTom Favorites file on the iPaq
I don't know how, but use this Explorer to get to the top directory in the iPaq; I call it the root, or / directory. Under this you should see a directory called SD Card (being your SD Card), which is where your TTN5 maps and config file are stored. Click that, identify your maps directory (maybe it's called France_Map), and click that. Now you're looking at the map files for your nation, and one of those is the config file. You have to turn on extensions in Explorer to find it though, and apparently this is explained in the thread here.

Save TomTom Favorites to the PeeCee
Then look for the file that ends in .cfg (the config file with your Favorites), maybe called France_Map.cfg . Grab this and drag it to your regular Explorer window and drop it in My Documents. Now you can deinstall TomTom 5 on the iPaq (Start|Settings|Remove Programs); be sure to remove all TomTom programs. Then install TomTom 6 and its maps to the SD Card, however you do that in Winduhs.

Apply your old Favorites to TTN6
ActiveSync|Explore and navigate into your maps directory as above; it might be called /SD Card/Europe_France_Map or similar. Then go to your PeeCee Explorer where you had stashed your .cfg file in My Documents, grab it, and drag it to your map directory and drop. TTN6 doesn't recognize the old .cfg name so you have to rename it (right-click on the file|Rename), from say France_Maps.cfg to MapSettings.cfg .

Test it
If you are amongst the lucky, TomTom 6 will now have your old Favorites. On the iPaq run TomTom6, touch the screen, Navigate to, and see if Favorites is NOT grayed-out. If you can click Favorites, you're golden. I was not amongst the lucky, and this is where I am now. When I run TomTom 6 and Navigate to, my Favorites is grayed out. I find that when I copy my .cfg file to the iPaq it is 14.2 kiloBytes in size; but after I've run TomTom and then exited, my .cfg file is now reduced to 896 Bytes. This means my old Favorites have been wiped out by TomTom, most likely because TTN6 does not recognize something about the file. This problem wouldn't happen if the config file were in readable text format; no legitimate reason that it shouldn't be.

Let me know if you get hung up.
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BGF. When I set up a Favorite in TTN6 West map, navigate to it, then exit TTN6 and restart, that Favorite is still there and I can navigate to it. So it does work. And in fact when I transferred old Favorites for other regions of the US they worked every time there. It's just in the West region it's not working, and that is my most critical as that's where I live. It's also my most extensive number of favorites, although not my oldest ones.

I worried about region makeup. At first I installed just the WA OR ID map and tried to transfer my old Favorites there, but it erased them. So I deinstalled that and installed the whole Western US, which matches the states of my old install AFAICT, but it's still erasing them. I notice that TTN6 does not erase the directory when you deinstall a state. I guess this is to preserve the .cfg file, but what else is preserved? Registry settings? When I deinstalled WA OR ID I also erased the directory for good measure.

I am suspicioning the hex data in the .cfg file. I may use a hex editor to graft the preamble and postamble from a new file to the old and see if it is then recognized. D4mned proprietary crap.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: