Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - N35 no gps signel or data stream via win fast nav.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

N35 no gps signel or data stream via win fast nav.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren1975
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: N35 no gps signel or data stream via win fast nav. Reply with quote

I`ve had a problem with the n35 for a long time now sometimes I could not find the gps device. I know the settings are com port8 gps on nav. and the rate is 4800 or 9600 depends on the software. I`ve tried tomtom,navigon,winfast nav etc, all can find the gps somtimes. Laughing
if i shutdown the software and N35 and then restart everything no gps is found, repeat and sometimes I can find the gps again.
sent it back to ACER 3 times they said it was fine each time, I load tomtom 5 software com port8 rate 4800 or 9600 no gps found, shutdown the software and N35 and then restart sometimes it will find the gps and sometimes not. this is the same for all the nav systems and tweak tools I have tried.

Using winfast nav and turing the n35 on and off a few times it found the gps and got a data stream and a sat lock

these are the settings:
Com port 8 gps on nav, rate 9600, Nmea
GGA 1, GLL 0, GSA 5, GSV 5, RMC 1, VTG 1.

but I see via this post
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=49057&highlight=acer

someone is saying to use different settings:
GGA 1, GLL 1, GSA 1, GSV 5, RMC 1, VTG 1,

if I try these setting I don`t seem to be any better off.

Anyone got any other ideas

Brendan

Laughing
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the different NMEA string settings - I believe they are irrelevant to your problem - they just alter the rates that each different piece of information is being sent - they don't affect the connectivity of the device.

The problem seems more fundamental.

I assume you have tried a soft reset of the device - any different behaviour after this?

You could always try a hard reset - it would mean re-installation of your apps so don't forget to back-up any personal data (e.g. Calendar, contacts etc.) before hand.

I'm a little worried by your phrase 'all the tweak tools I have used' - you haven't changed any GPS 'internals' have you?
Bren1975
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve have tried soft and hard reset with no results,

the tools I`ve tried were gpsdash,gps tweak and SiRF Tweak but I`ve only used winfast nav to change the GGA 1, GLL 0, GSA 5 etc and do a factory reset
so I`m thinking if I can get the correct "internal" settings and software I can check that the gps is as it should be.

Rolling Eyes
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren1975, open Winfast, tap on the save icon and choose a place to save the data.

Start Winfast, preferably outside, and run it for about 1 minute.

Copy and paste the first and last 10 seconds of the result here and I'll see if I can spot anything.

(By the way, your reference to the other post, where I set everything to 0 and did a factory re-set with the two boxes unticked, mine has behaved perfectly ever since. :D ).
Bren1975
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem is now i`m not getting any data stream, does not matter if I change the GGA 1, GLL 0, GSA 5 etc, factory reset or not.

The indicator at the bottom right of winfast nav is blinking on com port 8 on all rates,(not on other ports) but can`t seem to get a data stream!
if I close the gps flap while winfast is active the indictor in winfast stops blinking when I open it again it starts blinking again
So it most have found the gps but can`t get any info from it

Any ideas
Brendan
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the SiRF tab and try setting it to the highest and run it for a short time.

Then go to NMEA setting, set all to zero and try another factory re-set with both boxes unticked.

Just one thing, make sure NMEA is showing at the bottom left of Winfast and not SiRF.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: