Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Assistance with new tomtom one ver2 please..
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Assistance with new tomtom one ver2 please..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Assistance with new tomtom one ver2 please.. Reply with quote

Hi all, I have bought a tomtom one new edition from a colleague at work who had it for xmas but " not keen on satnav`s" so it was a bit of a bargain.
Its brand new, hadnt been opened so is still a virgin. No tomtom speedcams installed or anything else. Actually I thought it had handsfree bluetooth, now find it hasnt. Instructions are a bit naff also....anyway

Can someone please point me in the right direction for installing speedcams from here ( pocketgps ) I have checked the sticky`s but dont know which one to use. Also regarding poi`s, I have the national trust sites on my nuvi but cant find any on the tomtom, can I get these from anywhere at all?
Any help with the above and any tips re settings etc appreciated.

Thanks all....Dil

tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

subscribe to this site for speed cams - far more accurate and cheaper than tom tom's. £2 a month or £19 a year here.
for tomtom download the ov2 files. select the 24 file version as this will give you individual speed warnings for each camera, unzip them onto your desktop and copy and paste all 24 files with their bitmap files of the same name (so you get the camera graphic as well) into your map folder (w europe) and thats pretty much it.
u will need to enable and set the warning sounds and distances for each of the 24 files thru the tomtom preferences screen.
tony.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm writing this in capitals cos it always needs shouting out.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, CREATE A FOLDER ON YOUR PC (call it Tom Tom Master) AND SET WINDOWS EXPLORER TO SHOW HIDDEN FILES. THEN COPY THE ENTIRE SD CARD CONTENTS INTO THIS FOLDER.

That way, you can always restore the card, or create another if (WHEN) something goes wrong with your current card. If it's the only bit of advice you ever listen to in your life, listen to this one, or it's guaranteed that at some time in the future you will be seen sobbing into your satnav.

This is the absolute minimum that you should do. If you want belt and braces, do as follows:

After copying your card to the Master folder, create a second folder on the PC, and call it Tom Tom Working. Copy and Paste from the Master folder to the Working Folder, so you now have two folders. In future, the only thing you ever do with the Master Folder is to use it to recreate the Working Folder if it ever goes tits up.

Then get another SD card, the fastest you can find, and at least 1GB, and copy your Working Folder to this card. This then becomes your working card, and the original gets locked away somewhere safe as your back-up back-up.

Everything else that you do, all writing, deleting, changing etc, you only ever do on your working card, or in your working folder. You NEVER do anything with your original card , except use it if necessary to create another MASTER folder. You never do anything with your MASTER folder, except use it to recreate a damaged working folder. You are now protected against damage or loss of your working card, and even damage or loss to both your card and your pc.

Once you have done this, come back to the forum and you can safely play to your heart's content with all the advice you will get about improvements, mods, and changes that you may want.
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies, as you can see by my sig I already have a garmin nuvi and am a subscriber to this site. Regarding copying to seperate files on my pc I shall certainly do that, I think I have a spare/ new sd card somwhere also, in a safe place where I can never remember !!.

Thanks again....Dil Smile

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
If it's the only bit of advice you ever listen to in your life, listen to this one.

Clap Clap Clap
YES, YES, YES!!!
Double capitals, double bold, double italic. In the world of satnav, you will NEVER receive better advice than this.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
I'm writing this in capitals cos it always needs shouting out.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, CREATE A FOLDER ON YOUR PC (call it Tom Tom Master) AND SET WINDOWS EXPLORER TO SHOW HIDDEN FILES. THEN COPY THE ENTIRE SD CARD CONTENTS INTO THIS FOLDER.

That way, you can always restore the card, or create another if (WHEN) something goes wrong with your current card. If it's the only bit of advice you ever listen to in your life, listen to this one, or it's guaranteed that at some time in the future you will be seen sobbing into your satnav.

This is the absolute minimum that you should do. If you want belt and braces, do as follows:

After copying your card to the Master folder, create a second folder on the PC, and call it Tom Tom Working. Copy and Paste from the Master folder to the Working Folder, so you now have two folders. In future, the only thing you ever do with the Master Folder is to use it to recreate the Working Folder if it ever goes tits up.

Then get another SD card, the fastest you can find, and at least 1GB, and copy your Working Folder to this card. This then becomes your working card, and the original gets locked away somewhere safe as your back-up back-up.

That didn't work for me. I managed eventually to get TomTom to work from the larger card, but I was not able to load POIs into the map folder. But using TomTom Home I made a backup from my original TomTom supplied card, then put the new (larger) card into the device and used TomTom Home to restore. This time I had an installation on the new card where all the POIs worked

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a live demo of the wisdom of TomDavidson's advice ...

I received my brand new Tom Tom GO910 this morning. Five minutes after I finished the first backup (35 minutes it took) to a new folder on my computer, I managed to carelessly delete everything in the Western & Central Europe folder on the GO. I mean to say, I already intended to do the full backup before I noticed this thread, but I find it hard to express how glad I am at having the backup!!

I hope none of the experts read this about me!! (just watch - any minute now they'll all be doing Hee Hees). Embarassed

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin, you may not have got the copy-and-paste to work, and been lucky with using Home, but there are plenty of examples on these forums of people who have found (too late) that their "Home"-generated backups are missing huge chunks of vital stuff.
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again all, have taken TomDavison`s advice and now have backups on pc and on card, original card removed to a safe place!
Have also installed the speedcams and set them up to warn, noticed though they are on approach only, is there any way of installing an overspeed warning?
Have also found a poi site...Tomtomfree.com, where I found the national trust sites poi`s I was after, installed in the same way as the speedcams.
Anyone else heard of this site?

Thanks again for the help and assistance, very much appreciated.

Regards...Dil

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no overspeed warning connected to the speed cams, I'm afraid.
The only indication you can get is if you have "speed" selected in "status bar preferences" on some roads (where it has been encoded into the maps) you get xx/yy where xx is your speed and yy is the limit. Go a bit over and it turns red, more over and it flashes too. It's often wrong though.

There are quite a few POI sites out there. This very site is trying to be better than the rest by trying to (get us to) update them more often.
Look here

Just out of interest I looked at the National Trust (England) file from Tomtomfree.com and it had 320 entries, and the one from PGPSW had 375.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilcymro wrote:
Hi again all, have taken TomDavison`s advice and now have backups on pc and on card, original card removed to a safe place!
Good Thumbs Up
Dilcymro wrote:
Have also found a poi site...Tomtomfree.com, where I found the national trust sites poi`s I was after, installed in the same way as the speedcams.
As far as Tomtomfree.com are concerned, you might be interested in this thread? Is that POI better than (or identical to?) the one available here?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, regarding the national trust poi`s, I had mentioned these in a previous post and as I did not get a reply regarding them I looked elsewhere. I did not know I could get them here. So I will now download them and install over the ones already on there.

I have also seen some voice files mentioned , has someone got a file with these already re-named by any chance?

Thanks again for all your help....Dil

JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilcymro wrote:
I have also seen some voice files mentioned , has someone got a file with these already re-named by any chance?

I take it you are talking about the OGG camera warnings? Have a look at Mullet's posts on page 17 of this thread. His 2nd (Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:49 pm) suggests that the files are renamed, and the top post (Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:06 am) includes the links!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BGF for the info, just what I was after.

Thanks again...Dil

Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well chaps , everything seems to be working ok, all speedcams and voice warnings installed and having been on a short trip everythings seems fine.

One thing I did notice though in night mode, with the roads being in blue and the direction arrow/ my vehicle also in blue seems a bit strange. Is there anyway of changing the colour on the icon so it stands out a bit better?

Thanks again for all your help in sorting things out.

Dil..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: