Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Duplicated Camera Warning.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Duplicated Camera Warning.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjandar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Duplicated Camera Warning. Reply with quote

TT700 - PGPSW Speed Camera Database.

Could someone please run a demo route for me on the Berwick-upon-Tweed bye-pass (North Northumberland).

There are two cameras shown there "Gatso:15238@60" and "Gatso:15239@60" (they are both the same camera but that is another story)

When I pass this camera heading from, for example, the south I get a correct warning at my pre-set distance but then get another warning for the same camera just a few yards past it.

Does this happen for other people? Why does it do it?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know for certain, but it could be a reversible camera. 8O

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are shown as two cameras, one on each carriageway
Gatso:15238@60 Heading:197, Reversible
Gatso:15239@60 Heading:17, Single Direction

If the Gatso unit is reversible and there is only one unit to share between both carriageway, then there could be confusion in your unit.

Perhaps if [Gatso:15238@60 Heading:197, Reversible] was changed to Single direction the problem will disapear! Technically your unit is seeing three cameras there!

Is there only one camera in the central area that is reversible?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:

Perhaps if [Gatso:15238@60 Heading:197, Reversible] was changed to Single direction the problem will disapear! Technically your unit is seeing three cameras there!

That's not the problem... the TomTom 700 (and most other satnavs) cannot recognise headings or reversables. So it is only seeing TWO cameras.
Until every satnav is capable of recognising reversables, the established method for the database is to show them as two seperate locations, one on each carriageway.

The TomTom sholud only alert to one of them, so long as:
1. it is a dual carriageway
2. the camera positions are mot slightly misplaced
3. you have "warn only when on route" ticked for every type.

However, I've seen several places where a nearby gap in the central reservation seems to make TomTom register both carriageways as "on route" for a section of road.

Think the easiest solution is to ignore it..
mjandar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15238 has been in the database for a long time, it is "Reversible" and never used to cause a problem.

Then, recently, along came 15239, it is shown as "Single Direction" and that's when the error was noticed. There is only ONE camera in this location but I am given to understand that the database has to show two for certain types of Sat Nav's.

My answer is - every time I download the database I physically remove the most recent cameras (15239 the one that I think is wrong) - tedious but it works.

I still don't fully understand why it happens, the second alert occurs within a few feet of the camera - almost while you are alongside it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, the terms "reversible" or "Single direction" are meaningless to your TomTom. All it sees is a point in space.
Your problem arises because your unit isn't ignoring cameras on the opposite carriageway, either because #2 or #3 in my list above are not correct.

Having two positions marked is not "an error", just the way the database is set up, trying to please the majority of users.

Secondly, I guess the reason you are getting the second alert late, is because your unit can only make one alert at once, so it has to finish the first one before it can start thinking about the second one.

there is a similar limitation where audible alerts on TomToms always wait for any navigation instructions to finish first.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further investigation....
Having looked at the map at that point, my supposition at the end of my first post is correct... The road is mainly single carriageway, but splits into dual for just a small section where the camera is. The TomTom map is registering that dualled section as a single route rather than two seperate ones, so it is a slight mapping error, rather than a database error.

Live with it! Laughing
mjandar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for that.

It's no big deal to just remove the offending camera (on MY device) after each download.
cocacola186
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this happens to me aswell i live in berwick upon tweed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: