Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera warnings without navigating
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera warnings without navigating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoffleewelsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Camera warnings without navigating Reply with quote

I am using TOMTOM on my PDA with the camra data base downloaded and the .ogg voices. All works fine. However to use I have to navigate somewhere. Is there a wy to recieve the warnings as I drive around town without a route 1st? Ta. Geoff
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of options, turn off the Warn Only if POI on route check box for each camera, or load a silent navigation voice from HERE then select Nav to Current GPS Position, you won't get any spoken navigation instructions (thats what the silent voice does), but you do get POI Warnings because you have a route set (albeit a stupid route but it works) - Mike
geoffleewelsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you very much mike. Have downloaded silent voice and installed. Have selected silent voice. My navigate to GPS position is greyed out, nut I assume navigate to home will do. I assume that if I want to navigate somewhere I just change the voice first. Thanks Geoff.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a GPS signal? if not the icon will be greyed out, otherwise like you say tell it you want to nav Home, it doesn't really matter where to, its setting a route that is important.
As for using it when you do need to listen to it, simply select one of the other voices, or use the on screen icons to prompt you when to turn etc - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't "Navigate to..." / "Present GPS position" - it will ALWAYS be greyed out 'cos you are there already (or if not, it thinks you are).

For Mike's suggestion, you can set it to Navigate to Home instead... Wink
geoffleewelsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys. Many thanks. That all works. But! This is the 1st time I have ever used a forum. Fanatastic info but should I read what the hell I am doing 1st. How did my post appear to you two. Is there some type of top level menu or what. I can see the forum worked but have no idea how. Have you a link to what I should read. I am struggling to navigate around 'pocketgpsworld'
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOP's Embarassed brain wasn't in gear when I typed that one! - apologies, and thanks Andy for point out the fact you can't do that - not too sure what I was thinking! (or not thinking is more appropriate).

Geoff, to find posts such as yours the easy option is to click the "Find new posts since last visit" this displays anything across the entire forum that is new since you last used the site. This text is at the top right of the main PGPSW forum index - Mike
MJN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff,

I feel you may have missed Mike's first option/suggestion (apologies if you didn't). Specifically, if you untick 'Warn only if POI on route' (or however it's written) then you'll get warnings for your selected POIs regardless whether you've got a route set or not.

Infinitely better (IMHO) than having to set a 'fake' route up each time (indeed you don't have to do *anything*) and as long as your warning distances aren't set too high then you shouldn't get too many false positives.

Mathew
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
I have just tried the silent voice from rays tomtom site. Has any one else found that the speed camera alert distance countdown in the top left hand corner is affected by this.
e.g
You get the warning and the flashing icon and as you drive past the camera it still shows that you are upto 200 yards away then the icon disappears. This is corrected after putting Janes voice back.

theripper

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: