Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom detours
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom detours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil51
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: TomTom detours Reply with quote

I have just got a tomtom 510, which in the main seems quite good, especially if your driving alone without the other half as navigator.
But it obviously have some quirks. I plotted a course which took me on the A34 Handforrth bypass in cheshire. On the map it shows the main carriageway going straight and on but tried to take me up an off ramp and join back on the other side. I ignored it telling me to take the ramp and at the next two roundabouts it wanted me to turn around and retrace my steps. I also did a sample route on the A500 around Stoke and it did the same thing at the same sort of junction on there. Is there any way to get this sort of error corrected or do I have to put up with it.
Thanks for any replies
phil51
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I seem to have put this in the wrong forum, but I can't seem to move it

Happy to oblige - Oldboy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you were using Itineraries.

With an Itinerary you have to Zoom Right in to the Map to get the Waypoint exactly on the carriageway. There isn't a lot of leeway in the accuracy required. Probably less than 10 metres.

Taking you off at a Roundabout is a classic example of putting the Cursor on the wrong carriageway.;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
phil51
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.
I ask it to calculate a route from Manchester to Congleton, which took me along the A34 and past this junction heading towards Alderley Edge . It showed correctly that i had to take this road but instead of just keeping on a staight line following the dual carriageway it wanted me to go off and back on at this junction and then carry on the same dual carriageway.
chris_de_wet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 910 and have recently used it to route me from Manchester to Bollington, just north of Macclesfield.

The 910 took me along the A34 but without the detour that you mention.

So I would say the map data is fine ...

Can't think of an explanation for your problem ...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't using itineraries, are you asking it to calculate the shortest route?

The calculations in all SatNavs are very primitive, if a daft detour up a ramp and down again seems to save you 10 yards, the TomTom will blindly take it. Quickest is usually a better route choice.

Having said that, you still get the occasional 'funny'. I always get told to go through a lay-by on the Thanet Way in Kent (I even did it once Embarassed ).
phil51
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked it to calculate the quickest route, although i would have thought going staight down a road was shorter than leaving and joining back again. On another journey i went past at turning on purpose and it re-calculated the route very quickly, but in the case i mentioned there where obviously roundabouts to retrace my steps. I suppose they are some of the quirks we will have to put up with, its still better than having to keep looking at a road atlas, it gets you to your destination eventually.
Another thing I have found it useful for is that I can see if there are any bends in the road ahead if I want to overtake a slowcoach at night.
Phil
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil51 wrote:
I asked it to calculate the quickest route, although i would have thought going staight down a road was shorter than leaving and joining back again.
A lot of the problems arise because the wrong time is allocated to one, or more, segments of the road.

If a 70mph road has a time attribute of a 30mph road, then this situation can occur.

Witness the errors in some of the Speed Limits that show on the new Maps. It's part of the same problem.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
phil51
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed speed limit errors on cetain roads, Is there any way of reporting these errors
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report errors in Tele Atlas maps to Tele Atlas HERE

Report errors in Navteq maps to Navteq HERE

and all of them to TomTom themselves HERE (You have to be logged in to access this page).
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although its a little while since I've used the A34. From memory between Hanforth Dean and where the A34 joins Alderly Road there isn't a junction that would allow off and back on to the A34 unless something has changed.

Anyway I've tried route from Manchester to Congleton (using city centres as the A and B points) and the route doesn't join the A34 till south of Wilmslow (i.e. after it ceases to be dual carriageway). I forced a route that would use the A34 from Kingsway to Congleton and can't get unusal routing. So can't replicate your problem.

I've latest maps and SW 6.52 on TT500 and chose quickest route in each case.
mike007
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Also like the tomtom in the night when driving in the dark especially down country lanes :D You get to see ahead when there are bends in the road,although i wouldnt rely onit 100% its a great help :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: