Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Zumo 550 and Cyclops Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Zumo 550 and Cyclops Database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Garmin Zumo 550 and Cyclops Database Reply with quote

Hi,

I have recently bought a Garmin Zumo 550 and decided to give the Garmin camera site 90 free trial a go. On a trip to Edinburgh from Essex I had to suffer continual bleeping when in a possible mobile camera site. I had to slow down to below the speed limit (or turn the sound off) to stop the bleeping. To make matters worse the first 2 static cameras I passed in Edinburgh were not in the database.

My question is if I use the GPSWorld database do I have to suffer the continual bleeping if I choose to exceed the limit in a mobile camera site. I quite like a bleep or two to tell me I have entered a possible camera site but not continual bleeps until I leave the area.

From all the discussions on free membership for reporting new camera sites I assume the database is more accurate than the one Cyclops provide Garmin. For example is the static camera on Drum Brae South (heading north) in Edinburgh in the database. I can’t see much point of a camera database if it’s not near 100% accurate.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Allan
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the way the Garmin handles the databases is the same - however, with the PGPSW version, you could make changes (eg set a silent WAV file for the 70mph cameras) to prevent the constant noise (personally I like the warning) - you have much less control over the Garmin DB.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome!

from what i understand the garmin database uses mobile zones so you get warned all the way through the 'zone'. the pgpsw uses mobile sites so you only get the warning as you approach the specific site rather than the whole mobile zone.

yes you would get a repeated beeping if you are over the set speed but this is how the garmin 'uses' the data and nothing can be done unless either a) you turn off the sound or b) you chose not to install the mobile sites but keep the others on it.

as for how up to date our database is, well, these last few months there have been, on average, releases every 10-14 days (i.e. usually 3 a month) so it's as up to date as possible. we're also cheaper than th garmin one and come with the possibility of getting it all for free by being the first to submit a new static camera.

cheers

MaFt
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Zumo 550 and Cyclops Database Reply with quote

awg wrote:
is the static camera on Drum Brae South (heading north) in Edinburgh in the database. I can’t see much point of a camera database if it’s not near 100% accurate.

Welcome

Yes, there is a camera marked on Drum Brae South at N55.95032 W3.29579 and by the looks of it, this has been there for quite some time. From what I have seen the database is pretty accurate and is updated every couple of weeks at the moment.

Give it a try if you find that Garmin's database is not up to scratch, it's only £2 (rather than £60 + 3 points if you get fined) and as MaFt says, you will get a free lifetime subscription if you are the first to report a new fixed camera.
awg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information. I think you have convinced me to ditch the Garmin trial and sign-up for a year with Pocketgpsworld.

Regards

Allan.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: