Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can someone help me?....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can someone help me?....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olly_k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Can someone help me?.... Reply with quote

Hi folks, New here to SAT NAV so please bear with me if I appear a little confused, and I will appologise in advance if my questions have already been dealt with!!
I have just been to PCWorld to buy a Sat Nav system for my parents. Basically, they needed speed camera database, but also required the European detailed coverage as they go over to France and other countries on a regular basis. Anyway, we were looking at two models, the One Europe and the Go 510 (with traffic module), on special offer for £199 and £240 respectively.
Under the assurance that the Tomtom One Europe could download a 'free' UK camera database we have purchased this version. Now the official website is a little unclear about this and so for this reason I have told them not to remove it from the packaging until we find more info out.
So have we been told correctly? It would seem odd if TomTom did do this...
I have also read about the speed camera database on this site, so am interested to know if that will go on this unit? If so how hard is it and will it affect the manufacturers warrentee?

Also, we had a look at a demo UK version on the shop floor. When we navigated to 'house number and street', and typed in a couple of streets we were looking for, the unit seemed to offer us little in the way of choice, and to be honest couldn't find our roads! The guy said this was because there was no signal which I found a little suspect - had we entered something incorrectly?
As an example, we entered Kenilworth Road (which is Sale Manchester) Park Lane (Macclesfield Cheshire) and St. Lesmo Road (Stockport). I think the Kenilworth only gave one option which took us to Birmingham 8O

Anyway, thanks for reading I hope someone can help us out here - we were real dissapointed that we couldn't be 'told' how to get home from PCworld today Sad I guess it is best to be sure tho!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone help me?.... Reply with quote

olly_k wrote:
Under the assurance that the Tomtom One Europe could download a 'free' UK camera database we have purchased this version. Now the official website is a little unclear about this and so for this reason I have told them not to remove it from the packaging until we find more info out.
This is only Free for a Trial Period. The general consensus is that the TT offering doesn't come close to the PGPSW Database.

It is possible to run both at the same time. The PGPSW, from the site, is available free to Subscribers. To Subscribe costs £2 per month, or £19 per year.

olly_k wrote:
I have also read about the speed camera database on this site, so am interested to know if that will go on this unit? If so how hard is it and will it affect the manufacturers warrentee?
All TomTom's can load 3rd Party POI's, and this has no effect on the Warranty. It is not difficult to load onto the Device, and there are several Help Files that will assist.

olly_k wrote:
Also, we had a look at a demo UK version on the shop floor. When we navigated to 'house number and street', and typed in a couple of streets we were looking for, the unit seemed to offer us little in the way of choice, and to be honest couldn't find our roads! The guy said this was because there was no signal which I found a little suspect - had we entered something incorrectly?
As an example, we entered Kenilworth Road (which is Sale Manchester) Park Lane (Macclesfield Cheshire) and St. Lesmo Road (Stockport). I think the Kenilworth only gave one option which took us to Birmingham 8O

Anyway, thanks for reading I hope someone can help us out here - we were real dissapointed that we couldn't be 'told' how to get home from PCworld today Sad I guess it is best to be sure tho!
I'm not sure how you/they were doing this, but you would normally put the City/Town/Village in first, and then the Road Name. All those examples you gave I can find with no trouble.

You should be able to Find the Roads, but you may not be able to Navigate to them until you have a GPS Fix on the Satellites. The first time it's switched on, in the open, it might take a while to get all the Data it needs.

As a rule using the PostCode is a good way to Find a Destination.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
olly_k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone help me?.... Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:

Hi Oldboy, thankyou for your invaluble help!

Now, would you mind quickly clarifying for me please?

Oldboy wrote:

All TomTom's can load 3rd Party POI's, and this has no effect on the Warranty. It is not difficult to load onto the Device, and there are several Help Files that will assist.

Is this how speed camera's are entered then? I mean, does the GPS device know the difference between a speed camera sight and, say a park as a POI - are you / can you be warned (audibly) of a pending speed camera ahead?

Oldboy wrote:

I'm not sure how you/they were doing this, but you would normally put the City/Town/Village in first, and then the Road Name. All those examples you gave I can find with no trouble.

I was messing with the unit, and was presented with a screen full of icons, the one I picked being House no. / Street. Maybe I should have picked the one named 'town' first!

Anyway, looks like we are taking her out the box afterall :D Thankyou!
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The warnings for the PGPSW cameras can be set up in the Manage POI menu. If you use the speed zoned files it can take a while but it only needs to be done once; updates will then use the same settings; it's just a case of copying the new files onto the TT so it only takes a couple of minutes.

Also the £2 per month subscription to this site doesn't have to be every month, you can just pay and update when you like so it can work out at next to nothing!

I've never used the TT database, turned it off on my 910! but I think you would only have to pay if you wanted to update it with new cameras. Conensus seems to be that the PGPSW database from this site is better.
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, and I might be thick here, I can't find a way of entering a street name without putting the city in first (I'm on TT910) but maybe you were trying to enter the street name where the city should go!
olly_k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley_Tweedle wrote:
Actually, and I might be thick here, I can't find a way of entering a street name without putting the city in first (I'm on TT910) but maybe you were trying to enter the street name where the city should go!

Hi Stanley, not sure what was going on then, just had a querty keyboard and single line above under the heading streetname but maybe it was a screwed demo unit???
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are confusing city with city centre.

TomToms will always need to know the city name first, but then they give you options such as city centre, street address, intersection, POI in city etc.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
olly_k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
you guys are confusing city with city centre.

TomToms will always need to know the city name first, but then they give you options such as city centre, street address, intersection, POI in city etc.

Yes! That sounds right, must have missed the City name screen then Rolling Eyes
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would rather they had the option for just a street name (pretty sure you could do that on the Navman 530 and it would give you the first 100 results) but we've had the argument before that others think this would be of little use Confused
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a very long standing discussion, and it is about culture more than anything else. European programs don't have it, US/Canada originated programs do have it (because it is a essential part of the american mindset to specify the street name first)

TomTom have sneaked a little fuzziness into that - sometimes you do find the street even if you specify a wrong but adjacent city name.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: