Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speeding alerts / Overspeeding
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speeding alerts / Overspeeding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pashtari
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Speeding alerts / Overspeeding Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have just moved from a Microfuzion Speed Camera Detector to TomTom 5 on Pocket PC. After several hours of fiddling around I managed to sort out the voice warnings to warn me of upcoming speed cameras. I used OGG files and would like to offer thanks for everyone who uploaded them and added tips on how to get them working, including how to retain the settings.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get warnings if you are exceeding the speed limit when you approach a speed camera? The Microfuzion did this, announcing 'Warning, slow down you are exceeding the speed limit, warning ......, etc'. This could be annoying if speed cameras were on an adjacent road within the proximity of a motorway, but it could also be very helpful when it was announced correctly. I haven't come across anything yet, but it would be useful to have this functionality again.

The other point is that I haven't seen anything definitive about the best distance before each camera is announced. I've seen the table giving various timings, but no advice on which is the best option to select. The Microfuzion always gave warnings at a pre-set distance, but I can't remember what they were, otherwise I would change my preferences to those. Does anyone have any advice on the best distance for 20 mph, 30 mph, 40 mph, etc? Just one distance for each please - I don't like choices!

Many thanks in anticipation and thanks for a great site :D
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Speeding alerts / Overspeeding Reply with quote

Pashtari wrote:
I've seen the table giving various timings, but no advice on which is the best option to select. ... Does anyone have any advice on the best distance for 20 mph, 30 mph, 40 mph, etc? Just one distance for each please - I don't like choices!

OK... hold both your hands in front of you, palms facing the screen, index fingers aproximately 1 inch apart. Move them forward until they touch the screen covering up everything except the middle column in this image:

Job done, no more choices! Rolling Eyes
Pashtari
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy - I'll try it at 100yds per 10 mph and see how it goes.
Pashtari
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

100 yds per 10 mph seemed OK for the Gatso cameras, but I think it needs to be at least double for the mobile camera sites.

As far as I understand, once you can see the police van it's too late and by the time the warning was given I could certainly see the bridge or lay-by they would be using. I'll at least double the distance to allow a reasonable margin to check my speed and take appropriate action.

Many thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhHa! We're winning, you made your own choice! Laughing

That chart was meant for fixed cameras, and you said you didn't want any choices, so I didn't go further....
But now you have started making your own decisions, and you are absolutely right, the mobiles DO need longer warnings. Nice one. Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: