Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT One itineries
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT One itineries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heebeegeetee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: TT One itineries Reply with quote

Hi all,

In my old satnav, a pda using TT3 i think, I am able to make and save itineries, and I can name these itineries when I save them. I find this very useful when planning long trips, and indeed actually use the satnav more than say, autoroute express because the journey timings given by Tom Tom are far more realistic. I enjoy plotting long routes on the satnav when I have time to kill. The only strange thing about it is that I can only delete saved itineries via my PC.

I know TT One has an itinery facility, but can I name and save them for future use like I can with my old system?

BTW, it seems a few outlets, PC world, Halfords etc are selling TT one Europe for £200. They claim on their websites that they are the latest version. Is this true?
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TT One itineries Reply with quote

Heebeegeetee wrote:
Hi all,

I know TT One has an itinery facility, but can I name and save them for future use like I can with my old system?

Yes, you can plan and save itineraries with multiple waypoints, but you have to have a GPS fix and the itineraries have to start from your current position.
However, there is a very useful tool when you are connected to your PC and using TomTom Home. On screen you see a virtual version of your TomTom One and you can set anywhere as your "current position", choose it using an address, postcode, or a point on the map. Then you can use the virtual device to plan any itinerary on screen, and when you are satisfied with it, store it in your device. You can then use it when you want to.
I used it to plan some routes in Europe before a recent trip, and they worked a treat when I got there

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Heebeegeetee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, thanks for that, very useful.

It sounds like I won't be able to plot away on routes in France when at work, then.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why not...

I CAN create an itinerary without a GPS fix, I've just done it.
The limitation is that it will always want to navigate to the first waypoint or destination from where you are now (or where it thinks you are, if it hasn't got a fix!), but that isn't a problem - if you have saved an itinerary from say Calais to Paris, and you fire up the unit in England, it will take you to Calais first, and if you fire it up in Calais, it will take you to Paris.

IIRC, there is also a way to let you mark a waypoint as visited without going through it, but I'll have to have a search for that, as I don't use Itineraries much myself.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a slightly more long-winded fix that I used to use for TT5, it will probably work also for TT6, though I haven't tried it
Use the A-B routing function to plot a route from your required start point to somewhere a mile or so down the road. Start the route demo, and switch it off after it has covered a few yards. Then switch to the itinerary function and the device thinks it is at the point where you stopped the demo. Plan your itinerary from there, inserting any desired waypoints, and you can run it to make sure it's what you want. Modify as necessary, and when you are satisfied, store it.
I used this to great effect with TT5, because the offline itinerary planning was one of the features I valued most in TT3
You will find this described in Lutz Bendlin's list of bug fixes in the stickies at the head of the TomTom forum under Palm and Pocket PC software
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in all versions, you can fool the unit into thinking it is somewhere else by using the route demo. (I used to do this a lot in order to get POIs listed in order near to a distant destination, before I found the menu item under the blue cursor button instead of the search button in "browse map" Embarassed ).

But I still don't see why you would need to do that, in order to save and use itineraries?
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after getting TTHome I found that I could download "routes" -- in France -- England-- well almost any where.. great....

So I did and TTHome asked if I wanted them installed -- so I said OK..

Thinking they might be good for the holidays etc..

OK where are they ???
How do you use them???

Is it just me a dimbo again ??

Maurice
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're stored in a Folder called itn.;)

If you Tap the screen to bring the Menu up, Page through till you find itinerary planning.

Then tap Options | Load itinerary.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: