Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How does it work
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How does it work
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: How does it work Reply with quote

Please could I ask a dumb question to make sure I understand the basic principle of how Traffic works? I have never used it before, and have just managed to setup a trial period.

I use HP2790/Tomtom Navigator 5/Samsund D900 with bluetooth-enabled and GPRS data connection.

1. Am I right in thinking that everytime I use TT Traffic on a journey, I have to maintain the connection between the handphone and the PDA? If so, doesn't anyone find the handphone battery drains very quickly, especially on long journey?

2. And every so often do I have to navigate from the map (showing the journey) and tap "Update Traffic Info" on the PDA? Or does it update itself automatically?

Thanks.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The bluetooth connection between the PDA and the phone does use some power but it's not significantly more than without BT. The much bigger culprit is TomTom which is utilizing 100% of the processor time, and this is sucking energy much more.

2. automagically, every few minutes. You better have a flat rate data plan...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
frankw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your help; it is clearer now.

Just to make sure I don't do anything wrong, could I ask one more thing?

I have a flat rate 4 mb data per month with Orange. When I want to check my emails whilst away from home, I swithch on and open the Bluetooth manager on my PDA, then connect to Orange internet.

Am I right in thinking that to use Traffic, I first have to connect as if I want to check my emails described above, then launch and set Tomtom to "Navigate to" my destination, and once connected to Traffic, I leave the Orange internet connection open until I reach my destination?

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Once you have paired TomTom with your phone it will automatically launch the data connection and poll for traffic updates at the interval you have configured. Aside from ensuring Bluetooth is ON you need do nothing else.
frankw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PDA is already paired up with my phone (as it can check and download emails).

When you said I have to "pair up the TomTom and my phone", do you mean the TomTom GPS unit silver-colour Navigator 5 wireless GPS MkII unit)?

Thanks.
frankw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, one more question please:

How do I configure the traffic update interval?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankw wrote:
My PDA is already paired up with my phone (as it can check and download emails).

When you said I have to "pair up the TomTom and my phone", do you mean the TomTom GPS unit silver-colour Navigator 5 wireless GPS MkII unit)?

Thanks.

I am referring to the process of configuring TomTom itself to have access to the 'PLUS' services which include Traffic.
Quote:
How do I configure the traffic update interval?

Click the 'Traffic' icon in the menu, there are options to set the update interval and to allow automatic route re-calculation to avoid traffic problems.
frankw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Darren.
A very Merry Christmast to you.
Frank.
frankw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
No. Once you have paired TomTom with your phone it will automatically launch the data connection and poll for traffic updates at the interval you have configured. Aside from ensuring Bluetooth is ON you need do nothing else.

Following your advice, I tried using Traffic tonight, but:

When I tapped "update traffic info", I got a message saying "cannot connect to TomTom Traffic. Please check your..." although I have bluetooth on my mobile permanently turned on. I had also checked in TomTom Plus website that My Traffic has been activated. I have also paired my GPS unit to my mobile.

I finally managed to access Traffic but only after I turned off TomTom on my PDA, connected to my Orange internet first, and re-launched TomTom, then I managed to get Traffic update.

Please help, where have I gone wrong? Did your advice above refer to all-in-one TomTom device, whilst mine is Navigator 5 and a PDA?

The confused.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you access the PLUS Services separately in TomTom?
frankw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if I understand your question fully, please accept my apologies if I don't, due to my lack of knowledge on this.

But this what I've just done:

On my PDA, I launched TomTom, without connecting to the internet using my mobile. When I tapped Traffic update, I got the message I described before. I then tried tapping TomTom Weather and chose "Home". I got the message "cannot connect to weather.

I then closed TomTom, connect to the internet using Wifi, and then relaunched TomTom, and tried both "Traffic update" and "Weather". This time both are successfull.

Did I answer your question correctly?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This suggests that either TomTom is not opening the BT GPRS data connection correctly or that your PDA is not permitting TomTom to invoke the data connection.

I'll experiment with mine and revert tomorrow.
frankw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this what we are talking about? According to this I have to connect to mobile internet in order to access TomTom Plus services such as Traffic:

TomTom Support Link

Isn't number 2 applicable to me?

I wait to hear from you again tomorrow. In the meantime, many thanks for your patience with me!!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Option 2 is that which is applicable to you but they simply mean that your phone must be capable of connecting to Mobile Internet and have a valid connection that has been tested 'before' you proceed to configure your PocketPC for TomTom's PLUS Services.

Do you have Bluetooth 'ON' on your PocketPC? If you launch Internet Explorer does this initiate the data connection automatically? I suspect that your Bluetooth 'Bond' with your phone is not set to connect automatically when an application requests a data connection?
frankw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting more and more mysterious now.....

Darren wrote:
Do you have Bluetooth 'ON' on your PocketPC? If you launch Internet Explorer does this initiate the data connection automatically? I suspect that your Bluetooth 'Bond' with your phone is not set to connect automatically when an application requests a data connection?

I only have bluetooth "on" on my PPC, when I need it. Surely I cannot leave it permanently "on" as it will drain the battery at no time??!!

I think the above is the problem with my device settings. In order to access the internet, I must, each time,connect manually by opening bluetooth manager/turn on bluetooth/tap my phone icon and select Connect. Once connected then I can browse the internet or download my emails.

However, if I launch IE without following the connection procedure I described above, I have an error message saying "cannot connect with current connection settings. To change your connection settings, tap settings".

Do you think this is my problem? if yes, how do I change the settings options? Sorry if this deviates to other problems...!!!

When I tap settings, I have to two tabs, "Tasks" and Advanced"

Under Tasks, I have the options:
Add a new modem connection.
Add a new VPN server connection
Set up my proxy server.

Under Advanced tab, I have the options:
1) Select which networks are automatically used. with two buttons saying:
"Select Networks" and "Dialling Rules"
2) Create exceptions for intranet addresses, with a button called "Exceptions".

This is all getting beyond me now.....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: