Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - nuvi 310d - jam avoidance?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

nuvi 310d - jam avoidance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davek0974
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: nuvi 310d - jam avoidance? Reply with quote

Hi all,
i'm new(ish) to sat-nav and have a nuvi 310d/gtm12 tmc.

When the nav shows up a red triangle on a route being driven, does the unit automatically re-route or do i have to look at the details and choose 'avoid' to skip the jam?

I have set 'avoid traffic' in the setup panel.

Do the different colour roads indicate anything particular?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get an empty red triangle, this means traffic on your route - you need to go and view the traffic and tell it whether or not you want to reroute.

Another option is to simply go through Where To? and select your destination again.

Both of these will result in a new route being drawn up based on the traffic (the traffic which the unit knows about at the time of the route calculation is taken into consideration).

If the red triangle has a swervy road in it, then by simply selected it it will offer you a faster route, for which you can just select Yes, and it will auto reroute for you.

Yes, the different coloured roads indicate the different types of road, ie minor, local, major and primary route / motorways.
davek0974
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks swing,
that helps a lot. It would make more sense to have an 'auto re-route' option somewhere though.

Anyway, its a cool gadget and works well.

Dave
davek0974
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the same topic, with the nuvi set to avoid traffic in the menu, what exactly does it avoid??

is it just stationary traffic, or congestion, accidents or what?

Thanks
Dave
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It avoids any yellow or red traffic - ie not green traffic.

So, it'll avoid stationary, congestion and roadworks (but only with a delay).
Chrismb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont use my nuvi 610 much but have been having a play while sat in the drive Embarassed and getting loads of traffic info. I've put in routes that go directly through traffic problems that are logged on the traffic screen. When should I see the red triangle? Should it tell me as soon as it has calculated the route or will it only appear when I get close to the incident? If so how close? If I scroll the map to where I know the incident is then it has either routed me around it or put me straight throught it. When it has put me straight through it I can see the red triangle but nothing happens when I touch it. Is this because it can't find a quicker route? Also the Garmin website and the manual seem to imply that you should see a yellow diamond on the map screen if there are any problems on your route but I haven't seen anything. Sorry. Alot of questions I know but at the moment I'm thinking of trying to drive into a jam just to see what happens Confused Also I virtually forced the wife to take it with her on a journey explaining how great it was and it would divert her around traffic blah blah and it took her smack into a jam on the M25 Embarassed
Chrismb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have read 310.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, if the unit already knows about the traffic before you calculate the route, and IF you have it set to Avoid traffic, then it will try it's best to route around traffic (yellow and red delays - not green), and you will then not normally see the red triangle. The red triangle indicates your current route takes you through (or past the end of) traffic (ie you calculated the route before it knew about the traffic, or can't avoid it).

If you press it, it should come up with the list of traffic on your route. If it is not doing that - what software version is the unit (System, Settings, About)?

You won't see the yellow triangle - that's the US symbol for traffic - you will see the red triangle.

There are a number of reasons it would have taken her straight into the traffic jam:
- No traffic signal coverage
- She didn't notice the red triangle, select the traffic, and route around it
- The incident had only just occurred and not yet sent out
- The incident wasn't really that bad, and hence as far as Trafficmaster were concerned, there was no traffic.
Chrismb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Swing. It is set to avoid traffic and it will divert around when it first calculates the route. Where does the red triange appear on the map screen. is it at the side? At the moment I can only see a red triangle on the route where the actual incident is and if I press it nothing happens.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are on the main map page the red triangle will appear just above the distance to next turn (which is in the bottom right hand corner) - it's much larger than the red triangles marked on the map itself (which you cannot click).
Chrismb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: