Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - map activation, update & such like
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

map activation, update & such like

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: map activation, update & such like Reply with quote

Want to ensure I don't do anything I'd regret...assistance required.

Am helping friend aquire used TomTom from another friend ( difficult situation to be in, trust me ). It has Map v605 orig TT 128Mb SD & Product card.

However, map has been updated by 4th party to GB & RofI v660, & this is on a branded 256Mb mini-SD.

I know updates are released on orig TT SD cards but do they still release s/w on disc or d/l - hence able to put on any SD?

If, for any reason, the unit misbehaves, would the code on the card for v605 still be used to re-activate v660 or should v660 have its own card/code?

Basically, I want to ensure Friend A buys a legit unit with legit s/w. Friend B has all the paperwork required for original kit ( receipts, etc.. ) but the v660 disc is not TT own, he has no TT update map install CD & no Activation card/code for v660 maps ( if at all required ).

I need to know if it is possible to have updated maps without new A.Card/Code on a non-TT SD card legitimately....not even sure whether update maps actually have/require new A.Card/Code so that would be helpful info too.

The reasonable 2nd hand price is the issue, so no suggesting a BNIB unit from Halfords, please!

I have little or no experience of the scams surrounding TT & maps, etc.. so an experienced opinion on whether or not to recommend this unit would be much appreciated.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Software is always free, and available. So no problem.

The Maps require a Product Code for Activation. The 605 Product Code will not Activate a 660 Map.

You can put any TT Software/Map on any SD Card. It's not tied to the Original Card.

To answer your question, it would be legit if you have the Map Product Code.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! Oldboy.

No Product Code for v660 available so I draw obvious conclusions. It is activated but without codes I guess there will be no support offered/given & probably invalidates everything from a TT point of view. Sad

Oldboy wrote:
You can put any TT Software/Map on any SD Card. It's not tied to the Original Card.

I realise this, it's just I find it odd ( read as "potentially iffy" ) to offer a 'back-up' without the original ( assuming TT only release new maps on their own labelled SD's ). However, if TT do actually release maps on CD or as d/loads, I see nothing wrong with a Sandisk or Traxdata SD being offered in the sale.

Shall steer clear JIC. Unless I can persuade seller to supply v605 maps with unit as then it is all correct as per receipt and should attract full TT support. Thanks for your advice. Thumbs Up

BTW, apparently if you update, they cancel the old P. Code & issue a new one ( so the v605 code would be useless even if v660 is official ). Not sure if that's correct but sounds plausible. Any thoughts/info?

Also, if you go to TT Support & Log In ( who registers anything these days ) you can get your codes from your account with TT, plus see what maps you have got officially linked to your device & account so there is no excuse for not providing all three codes if everythings legit. Further cause to hear the alarm bells, I suppose.

Guinness Hirvevarra has left the building.....................

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: