Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TT6 user w/several basic questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TT6 user w/several basic questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WHExeter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: New TT6 user w/several basic questions Reply with quote

Just bought TT6 on DVD w/US & Canadian maps, installed Home, installed the program to a 1GB high-speed SD card then inserted card in iPaq rx3715, which recognized and installed the program instantly without incident. TT6 found my BT GPS, I drove a couple of test routes, so far so great.

Got a few basic questions:

I thought, from reading material about this program, I could review maps ON MY PC, plot my route, add my waypoints and then import the whole thing into my PDA. Is that possible? I can't even find where you can review TT6 maps on my PC. Am I missing it?

So far I've not been able to find a button to "minimize" TT6 running on my PDA so that I could use another function (like adjusting backlighting or master volume control). Do I have to close TT6 to access other functions?

I've looked at so many GPS options I could be mistaken but I thought TT6 had the ability to announce actual street names in upcoming directions. Does it have that feature?

I installed the map that seems to cover the whole US (over 900MB) assuming that I'd have everything in the country covered. Is there any map data on the state maps or regional maps (or major US highway map) that is NOT on the map of the whole US?

Sorry if these questions have already been asked. I searched before I posted. WH in Exeter
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: New TT6 user w/several basic questions Reply with quote

WHExeter wrote:
I thought, from reading material about this program, I could review maps ON MY PC, plot my route, add my waypoints and then import the whole thing into my PDA. Is that possible? I can't even find where you can review TT6 maps on my PC. Am I missing it?

My understanding is that if you have one of TomTom's dedicated PND devices (not sure which models), then connecting it to your PC via Home does indeed allow planning, (I presume as I don't know) that home uses the processing within the PND 'displayed' on the PC screen. That functionality doesn't exist for PDAs - I imagine the challenge of creating a conduit between Home and the multitude of different Mobile & PDA systems makes this too big a nightmare. Not a Nav Feature.
Quote:

I've looked at so many GPS options I could be mistaken but I thought TT6 had the ability to announce actual street names in upcoming directions. Does it have that feature?

Again, some of the PNDs have a 'text to speech' option, which indeed says "in 200 yards turn left into Acacia Avenue" rather than just "in 200 yards turn left". The speech functionality requires oodles of storage space, suiting the HDs within the PNDs, but beyond the capability of our mobiles/PDAs. Not a Nav feature.
Quote:
Sorry if these questions have already been asked. I searched before I posted. WH in Exeter

You should see some of the utter nonsense I come out with!

Hope this helps. Wink
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: New TT6 user w/several basic questions Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
...one of TomTom's dedicated PND devices...

Ok, that's worse than '...VDU display...'

PND, PN Device, Personal Navigation Device, but NEVER PND Device...

Rolling Eyes
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To access the today screen use the hardware 'today' button found on all (?) PDA or whatever devices (usually shown as the windows wiggly square icon thingy). When you hit it you'll find that TT minimises and you can adjust settings etc. Usually when you're done Tom Tom will pop back up but if not there is a small icon on the bottom of your screen or use the today shortcut. Works on the 3 devices I've used TT 5 & 6 on.

As for text to speech.... tried it with Destinator PN and its a serious driving hazard. It's hard to drive when you're bent double with laughter. If you want to mimic it, download a Stephen Hawkins voice for your app :-)
Holux GPSslim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: