Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One memory card problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One memory card problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBungle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: TomTom One memory card problem Reply with quote

First of all, hello, this is my first post here. Joined on behalf of my aunt who own a TomTom One.

She wanted to add some POI stuff to her TomTom and so first port of call was backing up her tomtom memoru card. I have followed the instructions but the software keeps asking to connect the tomtom even though it already is.

The TomTom goes into USB mode just fine, and windows Xp detects it - however, it doesn't show anything on the memory card. It comes up as being blank.

The unit works just fine and has her home address set in it etc. If you choose an option, like "add voice" for example, then you end up with 2 files on the memory card and nothing else. But it all still works just fine.

She has had the unit since January and not had any problems with it up until now. It just seems odd that this is happening. I would have thought any memory card errors would have resulted in the unity simply not fucntioning?

Could anyone possibly shed some light on this at all? Windows did struggle at first to install it properly, but a quick reboot and it worked just fine in seeing it as a removable drive.

Very puzzking. Thanks for any advice! Smile
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which TomTom ONE do you have?

Are you using Windows Explorer, or HOME?

When you did the Backup, what did you actually do? How big was the Backup?

It would help us if you went through the steps you took, and where you had problems.

We'll try to get you up and running.Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
MrBungle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure which TomTom One until I see her again. Until I came here I didn't even know there were different versions.

Connected it to the PC which is running Windows XP Professional.

When doing a backup the software utility just kept saying "please connect your TomTom One" - depsite the fact it was connected and that you could see it as a removable drive.

I went into the utility that allows you to add and remove voices (just to see if anything would work) and it DID add a voice - although when you come to browse the memory card after that, it just shows 2 small files in it and nothing else (i'd need to check again to see what they were named).

Here's step by step what I tried...
1 - Plugged it into the pc as described.
2 - Windows said "found usb device but could not install"
3 - Rebooted windows and it found it and recognised it as a TomTom One
4 - Tried to use the TomTom software to backup the device and it kept asking me to connect it even though it was.
5 - Tried browsing the memory card and although it's recognised it shows as being empty.
6 - TomTom still works fine and all settings etc are intact.
7 - Scratched my head a LOT - came here and registered Smile

I'll get the rest of the info when I can. Thanks.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next time use the 'old' method of Backing up.

Open Window Explorer. Goto Tools/Folder Options/View and under Hidden Folders, select Show hidden files and folders. Also untick Hide Extensions for known file types. OK out.

Select the TomTom Drive Letter and how many File and Folders do you see? There should be about a dozen Files. The number of Folders will depend on which Version of TT you have.

If you create a New Folder on the PC, call it TT Backup, you can use Explorer to manually Backup. My preferred method. If you have a Card Reader it's a lot quicker to use that.

Select the TomTom Drive Letter, and press Ctrl+A, to Select All, and Copy/Paste to the new Folder on the Hard Drive. If it's an original ONE SD Card it will be about 120MB of Data.

MrBungle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, didn't think about the old "hidden files" thing. Excellent Smile that's my next port of call when I see my aunt. Thanks!
MrBungle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the hidden files option but still no luck I'm afraid. The TomTom One says it's a (4N00.001) if I'm looking at the right thing?

All it shows if I browse the memory card is 4 files named ..data05.chk, data08.chk, data05.vif and data08.vif - which I think relate to the voice that was added (which works fine incidentally)

I am thinking that somehow the memory card has got corrupted, but by some strange fluke still works. I can't think of any other explanation.

Is there anyway you can get a whatever is stored on the memroy card from TomTom? Not sure what else to do to be honest. Completely stumped.

Thanks for the help so far.[/img]
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBungle wrote:
All it shows if I browse the memory card is 4 files named ..data05.chk, data08.chk, data05.vif and data08.vif - which I think relate to the voice that was added (which works fine incidentally)
Data05 is Jane. Don't know which one data08 is.

If you Right Click the TomTom Drive Letter and Select Properties it should tell you how much memory is Used, is Free, and the Total on the Card. Should be just under 128MB.

MrBungle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay with a reply. I have now fetched my aunts TomTom to my house to make things easier.

I have looked at the properties and accoridng to windows there is 116mb of used space and 3.4mb free. Still shows the card as being empty though when you try to browse it's contents.

Could you advise on a next course of action by any chance? Thank you.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a Card Reader? If so, try looking at the SD Card with that.

MrBungle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah tried a card reader without success Sad - I do have a friend who has a TomTom one but no idea if it's the same model.

I thought maybe I could format my aunts card and copy his card onto it? But I don't want to mess up my aunts card anymore than it is - and also no idea if you can format the cards in the usual way, and indeed if maps can be transfered from one card to another.

Or maybe contact TomTom, but I suspect they may charge to fix it.

Thanks for perservering with this by the way.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even attempt to Copy his Maps to your ONE.;)

I don't think it's a problem with the ONE as it works. When it's connected to the PC, the ONE only acts as a Card Reader. You have just proved that the PC can't read it in a Card Reader.

Just another thought. In Folder Options | View there is another Option you can try.

Just below the Hide Extensions ... there is an Option for Hide Protected Operating System Files. Untick this to see if it makes a difference.

MrBungle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sorry, I meant I thought TomTom would charge to somehow replace the maps on the memory card.

In fact looking at thier website I am surprised they don't have some kind of recovery files for anyone who may get a messed up memory card. It's a shame you can't register to prove you have a TomTom and then be allowed access to backup files. As it stands it has probably been like this since day one and no one has known because it hasn't been connected to a PC before.

Tried that last suggestion and still nothing sadly Sad
foxytheoldone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i well stuffed, as i just got my tomtom one new version today and did a update via the tomtom home and its corupted my sd-card.. the backup file it did before updating is very very small.. so i guess i now have a dead tomtom, question is do i phone tomtomt or take it back to halfords where i bought it..

regards

silly old sucker..
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take it back to halfords and say it dosnt work..

if u havnt had it long they should give u a new one.. u havnt done anything u shouldnt have..

trog
foxytheoldone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trog100 wrote:
take it back to halfords and say it dosnt work..

if u havnt had it long they should give u a new one.. u havnt done anything u shouldnt have..

trog

yes that probs is the best idea.. i'll probs have to send it back as i ordered it online, even though we have a local store...
anyway thanks for the fast reply...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: