Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman 520 - Camera database - help required
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman 520 - Camera database - help required

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJW999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Navman 520 - Camera database - help required Reply with quote

Dear All,
My wife and I have just been given an iCN520 as a pressie.
Now we are both guilty of driving a little to fast on occasions, and both loathe paying any money to line the governments’ pocket. Although we understand that road safety is important.
Therefore we have subscribed to the site as we wish to download the camera locations.
However we have both read the instructions & forums but are still confused!! We are certainly unsure what type of download we should get (single file, zoned etc). We would certainley like the best available, but are unsure what our system can take.
Please could someone provide us with some idiot proof advice on what is the best download available and how we get it on the sat nav?????
Many thanks
Phil & Kate :D
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera database comes in three flavours.

Single file is all the database cameras in one file. This is the easiest to set up as you only have to go through the procedure once.

Consolidated by type means that the cameras are split into files by type, e.g. all Gatsos in one file, all Redlight cameras in another, etc..

Speedzoned splits the cameras into 24 different files, each one of which contains camera of a different type and speed in the case of gatsos, SPECS and mobile sites. This is the most comprehensive as if it is set up correctly it will show an icon on the screen which shows you the speed limit that the particular camera is in. Obviously, each file needs setting up so this will take 24 times longer than the Single file.

Some people report not being able to load more than 16 files onto their 510/520 but I have successfully loaded the speedzoned files onto them.

It might be worth going for option 1 or 2 until you get the hang of it, unless you're up for a potential challenge. The thing is, once you've done it once it's quite easy, honestly.
PJW999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Camera database - help required Reply with quote

Hi Tim,
Many many many thanks for your help, so far...

We have gone for it and downloaded the 'zoned' info. We seemed to have been able to load them all on bar the 30mph mobile data. The Navman tells us there has been an internal error!!! - any ideas??
Also on the safety alerts active POI's it shows all active, except the SPECS (whatever they are) and also the temp cameras. I have checked in My POI and it shows a tick next to all of these. I have I missed something???

Regards

Phil
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mobile 30 problem can be fixed by reading this and acting upon it. As to the SPECS (they are cameras which measre your speed over a known distance) and the Temp (for cameras erected during roadworks, for instance) problems, perhaps you too have fallen foul of not being able to load the full 25 files.
PJW999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,
We followed your link, and deleted that line and hey-presto it has worked.
Many thanks for all your help.
We have managed to load all 25 poi's without a problem, although only 16 are shown as 'active' in the Safety Alerts, Active POI menu. The 30mph mobile data one we just loaded, once we fixed the problem, is excluded from this "active" list.
We have removed the active status from some in a hope it would allow us to activate this one, incase there were too many. But this hasn't worked, therefore we are a little stumped.
We presume that the "active" mode means we shall receive a warning when approaching within the distance we set. As all 25 of the database sets are on the Navman, surley we should be able to set them as we please... When we go to edit them and show them as active, we save the setting, but when we go back into the menu it hasn't changed.
Is there a set limit, or have we done something wrong??
Phil & Kate
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, people who have these problems with the 16 file limitation have found that only the first 16 can be active. Perhaps if you use the speedzoned gatsos and consolidated by type for others, it might be more beneficial. At least this way you'd be fully covered.

If you choose to do this it might be beneficial to start from scratch after deleting what you've already loaded. At east you now have the experience. Wink
PJW999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,
Sounds like a logical idea. It seems to be an unfortunate floor in the Navman.
Now that I know what I am doing!!!! I will group type the rest.
Yet again many many thanks for your help & advice.
Phil & Kate :P
Dave1999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim
I have a 520 and have downloaded all 24 files but only 16 are active
is it a problem with navman or is there a way round it
Regards
Dave
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned previously, some people have problems activating more than 16 files, others don't. I have no idea as to why, either. On a personal level I have always managed to have 24 active POIs on every device I've tried, including 510, 520, 530, 550, 630, 635 and 750.

I always do things in exactly the same (name) order and don't stop to admire my handiwork until I've finished loading the lot.
Dave1999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim
Thanks for that
Can you give us a detail way you download so I will try it your way
Regards
Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: