Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT one V2 car charger
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT one V2 car charger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ally323
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: TT one V2 car charger Reply with quote

I recently had my go 300 stolen & repalced it with a tt one V2, (the one with the usb style charger.

I had a permanent power supply hard wired nice n neatly in my car, as I hate cig lighter cables & the like all over the dash, which powered the go 300 active cradle, but obviously the connection doesn't fit the one. Could I cut this cable at a suitable point & splice / connect the one charger cable to the go 300 supply, are the voltages etc the same, or does the cig lighter charger that came with the one, work differently?
TIA
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: TT one V2 car charger Reply with quote

ally323 wrote:
I recently had my go 300 stolen & repalced it with a tt one V2, (the one with the usb style charger.

I had a permanent power supply hard wired nice n neatly in my car, as I hate cig lighter cables & the like all over the dash, which powered the go 300 active cradle, but obviously the connection doesn't fit the one. Could I cut this cable at a suitable point & splice / connect the one charger cable to the go 300 supply, are the voltages etc the same, or does the cig lighter charger that came with the one, work differently?
TIA

Try one of the new Brodit mounts, they have 3 for the v2, active hard wire, active cig lighter & passive.

I've just ordered a hard wired one from Clove technology. Brodit have only very recently released these.

You should be able to join the two wires together, but need to make sure they are wired the right way round, or you might have a £200+ lightweight doorstop/paperweight! (I fried a seidio cradle, luckily before I put my Treo in it!).

Just waiting for my v2 to arrive.

Mike
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to mention, I don't think you can cut the charger cable, as you need the charger bit inside the cig adapter to reduce the voltage from 12v to I think 5v for USB (not exactly sure of USB voltage).

Brodit mount includes the charger in the hardwire version.

I favour fixed mounts rather than windcreen mounts. I have used both.

Mike
ally323
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike,
but I already have a hard wire in place, & rather than doing it all over again, I just want to cut the existing wire, as the plug on the go & the one are different, should be the same voltage etc though?? They would both charge via USB on a PC without any inverter or anything, so i hope this would work also?
I'm going to stay with the removable windscreen mount after having my window smashed two weeks ago, & my go stolen from the glove box. :x
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ally323 wrote:
Cheers Mike,
but I already have a hard wire in place, & rather than doing it all over again, I just want to cut the existing wire, as the plug on the go & the one are different, should be the same voltage etc though?? They would both charge via USB on a PC without any inverter or anything, so i hope this would work also?
I'm going to stay with the removable windscreen mount after having my window smashed two weeks ago, & my go stolen from the glove box. :x

From what I understand, your existing hardwire cable already has a transformer built into it. Is this correct?

If so then you should be able to splice the cable.

What I have done in my car, as it was hardwired for my Palm T3 two years ago (which had the transformer in the Tom Tom cradle, so I just have a plain 12v cable which plugs straight into the cradle), was to cut the cable & put some bullet connectors on the end, & then make up a lead which was connected to another cig lighter socket in my glove box. I then bought a 4 into 1 cig lighter adapter & plugged my GPS charger cable into one and my power supply for my T-Mobile MDA vario into aother, with all the cables hidden behind the dash.

So the answer is a qualified yes, if your existing hardwired cable outputs at USB voltage.

Mike
ally323
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mike, I'm not sure if a transformer is fitted as it was done at an auto electricians, but I assume it is as it charged the go 300 without any troubles, so should be ok for the one aswell I hope Confused
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably best to ask the people who fitted it just to make sure.

Mike
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ally323 wrote:
Thanks again Mike, I'm not sure if a transformer is fitted as it was done at an auto electricians, but I assume it is as it charged the go 300 without any troubles, so should be ok for the one aswell I hope Confused

If it worked on a 300 without literally blowing it up it must already be down to 5v so no worries.
ally323
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped it all back & found the original go lighter fitting, so just need to remove that & plug in new one - done!

BTW, the battery life on the one is so much shorter than the go 300, the go 300 would work for about 5 hours between charges, the one only seems to last a couple at the most, is this right? I guess it is sacrificing staying power with the size?
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ally323 wrote:
BTW, the battery life on the one is so much shorter than the go 300, the go 300 would work for about 5 hours between charges, the one only seems to last a couple at the most, is this right? I guess it is sacrificing staying power with the size?

yup, exactly.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: