Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One V2 fails to boot up - Help Please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One V2 fails to boot up - Help Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woofa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: TomTom One V2 fails to boot up - Help Please Reply with quote

Hi, I bought a TT1 v2 last week and after a couple of days playing within it everything seemed fine.

Now for some reason the unit wont make it past the splash screen. I have tried resetting the unit and doing a hard reset to no avail.

When I try to view my TT1 via the TomTom home application it crashes TT home after booting up the device (shortly after the drum sounds + splash screen). TomTom home crashes with an application error and an IE message asking whether I want to report the error.

I have tried reinstalling TT Home but the same thing happens over and over. When i disconnect the TT1 unit from my computer it starts loading up the SD card with the yellow progress bar, then shows the splash screen and then just hangs there and doesnt progress any further.

I am reluctant to immediately return the unit as I need it to go away within the next couple of weeks and I really would like the luxury of satnav for this journey. I have tried restoring from a backup but that doesnt seem to make any differnce either.

Its almost like a file on the SD card has got corrupted and it cannot load up to the first map screen that you get after boot.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it as this unit has had me trawling the net for answers for 2 days now! Rolling Eyes
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first things first.
if you bought this unit from a store, - return it as faulty. after only a week you can demand a replacement or a refund. do not accept them sending the unit away. if on the other hand you purchased on line your options are more limited as you need the unit for your travels.
hopefully someone on line here , and there are some fine techies here, may be able to identify your fault and rectify for you. a corrupt file does seem likely. if you have a spare sd card try backing up onto that and at least then eliminate the chance of having a faulty card.
tony.
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom One V2 fails to boot up - Help Please Reply with quote

woofa wrote:
Hi, I bought a TT1 v2 last week and after a couple of days playing within it everything seemed fine.
Now for some reason the unit wont make it past the splash screen. I have tried resetting the unit and doing a hard reset to no avail. Rolling Eyes

Is the backup a direct copy or a copy obtained from Home.
Is your TT1V2 regional or euro.
What if anything have you been adding to you gps (have you altered the data.chk file size on disk for TT1V2 Regional is 2.58 MB (2,711,552 bytes).

Where are you loading the back up from is it Windows Explorer Question as going by your comments Home is a non-event Exclamation

Do you have a card reader try putting your backup directly onto the card ensuring its the backup only with any other files removed.

Do you have access to another sd card Question try putting the back up on this and try (in case the TT SD card is damaged)

Screen shot below of a TT1V2 Regional UK software as supplied compare yours if the same version,

In the end you may have no alternative than contact your supplier.
woofa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unit was bought from dabs.com. They said that they could accept the unit as a return but I figured I would see if this problem is fixable first as I dont want to return it unless absolutely necessary.

The backup was made via TomTom Home application and I also copied all the files to my PC (including system files).

Thanks for the listing of the original files. I'm sure that I have a couple more than you have listed. I seem to remember I have a .MDS file which refers to the map file.

The only thing that I have added have been via the TT Home application. These were safety cameras and traffic updates from TomTom. These seemed to be installed ok and working correctly before I started having problems. I will check the file dates/sizes when i get home as i do not have the unit with me at the moment.

The backup I have doesnt seem to make any difference and I cannot be sure that I did the backup before I started having problems.

Is it possible for anyone to send me a backup that I can restore my original system files (not the map files) ?

Many thanks for the replies. I am really hoping to get this unit working again before having to return the unit as faulty.
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woofa wrote:

Is it possible for anyone to send me a backup that I can restore my original system files (not the map files) ?

Do the comparison first and if you have the kit eliminate the possibility of a faulty sd card another thought Idea is there any possibility that you removed the usb lead when the computer was writing to the sd card Question

Anyway leave it until you have further information and if you can think of anything else shout out so others can offer possible solutions.
woofa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will buy an SD card at lunchtime and move all the files to it when i get home. Hopefully this will indicate whether the SD card is faulty.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
woofa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 512mb SD card, which i formatted and copied all the files over from a manual backup of the TT SD card. After this showed the same symptoms as before i restored a backup of the TT SD card which I had created previously. No change bleh! still goes throught the process of booting from the SD card (yellow progress bar), then the splash screen and thats it.

I can only assume that one of the files running the TT OS and application is corruputed Sad

Here is a list of all the files in my install:

timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woofa wrote:
I can only assume that one of the files running the TT OS and application is corruputed Sad

apart from the obvious extra's that have been installed i notice that the following in the root folder are missing and have been changed. I have looked at the as supplied software against what i currently have installed.

Anyway 13kb .ds_store file missing and system file original and on my current heavily modified TT1V2 is 679kb.

I propose the following rename system to system1, provide me with your email address via PM and i will email the 2 files asap.

Install and try if still no go rename system1 back to original and start boxing up its like looking for a needle in a hay stack as the other folders may contain the source of the error which to try and compare given your modifications would be difficult to intrepretate.
woofa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Timber. Have sent you my email addy by PM.

Appreciate the help, many thanks for your time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: