Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cant get new warning voices to replace old data.chk
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cant get new warning voices to replace old data.chk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multidrop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Cant get new warning voices to replace old data.chk Reply with quote

Help!

I have tried everything, and now back from pub on saturday night am posting this! Version 5.000 (4890) replaced and renamed the file on PPC Mio 168 but the old warning bells remain. Cant figure what I have done wrong, have hot and cold rebooted to no avail. Perhaps I am not putting the new file in the right place.

Any ideas?

Multidrop
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the TomTom web site and download the latest software version for your device (TTN5,21) install that and it should then work.

Just a couple of questions first, are the .ogg files named exactly the same as the .ov2 and coresponding .bmp files?
Also have a look in Windows Explorer, go to tools/ Folder Options select the View Tab and make sure the check box for "Hide extensions for known file types isnt checked. Now look at the file names if at the end they appear .ogg.ogg you have too many oggs rename the files so they only have a single file extension.

If the above fails you can allways have a read through THIS but at seven pages it can appear quite daunting.

Please let us know if you get this working on version 5,0 as so far no one has reported this version as working - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although with hindsight you might have been trying to use the older established method for spoken alerts, you need to get the new data.chk file from HERE Make sure you get the correct download for your build version.

On the PPC use file explorer and go to program files/ navigator folder, locate the existing data.chk file tap and hold, select re-name and call this old_data.chk.

Rename the downloaded file to data.chk (Also have a look in Windows Explorer, go to tools/ Folder Options select the View Tab and make sure the check box for "Hide extensions for known file types" isnt checked. Now look at the file name if at the end they appear .chk.chk you have too many chk rename the file so it only has a single file extension).

Copy this file to the PDA program files/ navigator folder.

Soft reset the PDA, when it restarts run up TomTom and configure your warnings, they will still say the silly names bell, buggle etc but if you use the "Test" button you should be able to hear the revised sounds.

Once you have it working you can copy the old_data.chk file to either your PC or Memory card, leaving it in place is a waste of memory - Mike
Multidrop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I dont think I have any .ogg files anywhere. Should I? I thought I was just replacing the data.chk file in the tomtom folder? That article you linked to only seems to apply to TTN6 not 5. Are you saying nobody has managed to replace the beeps, cuckoos and moos in TTN5?

Multidrop
Multidrop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got your second message. Yes all I did was swap the old data.chk file on the sd card for the new one for 5.000 (4890) from the list given on the site, will try what you suggest now. Or do you think the TTN6 way might work?

Multidrop
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read my second post in this thread Rolling Eyes it explains the data.chk method, and if you are swapping out the data.chk then you don't need the .ogg files, the article I linked to is applicable to TTN versions 5 AND 6.

Lots of people have the data.chk method working on TTN5,0 it is the new method I am not to sure as for its compatability - Mike
Multidrop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mike, will try the "old" method with the data.chk file, if still no joy will try the new method.
Multidrop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

ogg. method works!

Off to download the other warning voices now.

Multidrop
Multidrop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded other ogg files and renamed them the same as the pocketgps_uk_etc files. Seems to work ok (some spoken alerts seem to come a little later than the default 273 yards. However as I have "silent voice" selected, I think I don't hear some alerts as route instructions must take priority over alerts.When a "silent voice" is selected you hear nothing when the voice would normally be making a route guidance instruction, and you dont hear the spoken speed camera alert either.

Anyone else noticed this?

Multidrop

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: