Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera validation not possible inside a tunnel?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera validation not possible inside a tunnel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Camera validation not possible inside a tunnel? Reply with quote

I've submitted one of the cameras in the Limehouse Link tunnel twice over the past few months, but it's still not in the latest db. The camera's been there for several years now.

I **DEFINITELY** have the correct location - my nav has a built-in gyro-compass and speed sensor, so the fix is still very accurate when no satellites are visible. Also, this particular camera is at an intersection inside the tunnel, so I am doubly sure the location is correct.

Is the problem the fact that no-one else can can get a fix inside the tunnel to verify this camera?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought a camera in a tunnel, most users probably wouldn't get a warning as they will have lost position fix once underground, where is this located can you post the lat/ Long of the camera? - Mike
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Interesting thought a camera in a tunnel, most users probably wouldn't get a warning as they will have lost position fix once underground, where is this located can you post the lat/ Long of the camera? - Mike

Exactly.

Lat: 51.50890
Long: -0.03198
Bearing: 135
Speed: 30mph
Type: Unknown

There are more, but this one is easiest to find due to the intersection
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

They might get an advanced warning before they enter the tunnel or the GPS unit might do a bit of bluffing to estimate the position when they lose signal so maybe they will get a warning.

Of course there may be a few flash gits out there with expensive built-in systems which have dead reckoning too. Wink

Looking at the Limehouse Link tunnel cameras in the latest DB, they are all wrong from what I can figure out. :x I know this is going to be a pain, but can you please spend a minute having a look at these. These are Digital cameras so it's worthwhile getting the locations right!

30-G-3200 N51.50889 W0.02446

Gatso 3200 should be just inside the entrance of the Limehouse tunnel. There is a camera in each carriageway at these locations so this should be marked with two locations.

East Side Entry N51.50855 W0.02282
East Side Exit N51.50864 W0.02278

30-G-3201 N51.51073 W0.03351

Camera 3201 is a pretty good guess, but wide of the mark by about 400 feet from what I can figure out. My guess at the locations (and this fairly much agrees with BMW330's measurements) puts the two cameras at:

Ramp on Eastbound carriageway N51.50897 W0.03210
Ramp on Westbound carriageway N51.50910 W0.03249

Finally, there are two cameras which are completely missing from the West side:

West Side Entry N51.51090 W0.03996
West Side Exit N51.51085 W0.03988

I have checked the tunnel entrance cameras in Google Earth and they look about right.

30-G-1570 N51.50807 W0.02085

I'm not sure about Gatso 1570. There is certainly no camera at this location on Limehouse Link, but maybe it's on the parallel East India Dock road. We need to double check this one.

The best way to verify the camera locations is to make a mental note of the camera locations (ie just inside the tunnels and at the exit ramps and confirm the location using Google Earth or some other map.

Keep up the good work!
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Of course there may be a few flash gits out there with expensive built-in systems which have dead reckoning too. Wink

Jealousy gets you nowhere...

Skippy wrote:

Looking at the Limehouse Link tunnel cameras in the latest DB, they are all wrong from what I can figure out. :x I know this is going to be a pain, but can you please spend a minute having a look at these. These are Digital cameras so it's worthwhile getting the locations right!

The best way to verify the camera locations is to make a mental note of the camera locations (ie just inside the tunnels and at the exit ramps and confirm the location using Google Earth or some other map.

Agree that they are all wrong, however haven't been able to get even the first one accepted yet (hence this thread).

I could fix them all (without guessing/mental notes) if I knew my submissions would be accepted and I'm not wasting my time.

PS: The submission form does not seem to have an option to select this camera type.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW330 wrote:
Jealousy gets you nowhere...

Well, I guess it gives you something to play with while stuck in traffic and you are having a break from chatting on your mobile. Laughing I'll stick to the bike though.

BMW330 wrote:
I could fix them all (without guessing/mental notes) if I knew my submissions would be accepted and I'm not wasting my time.

PS: The submission form does not seem to have an option to select this camera type.

They have to be verified by one of the PGPSW team, which is why it takes a little while. You are right to start a thread though, these cameras are much more difficult to mark than usual. I would suggest that you mark them all and submit them with a pointer to this discussion thread.

As for the camera type, I would submit them as Monitrons because this is probably the best description of them. I'm not sure who made the cameras, though I think they were some of the first digital ones in use and the authorities originally fooled people into thinking they were average speed cameras (ie SPECS).

(I've submitted an OV2 file with what I think the locations are).
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

They have to be verified by one of the PGPSW team, which is why it takes a little while. You are right to start a thread though, these cameras are much more difficult to mark than usual. I would suggest that you mark them all and submit them with a pointer to this discussion thread.

As for the camera type, I would submit them as Monitrons because this is probably the best description of them. I'm not sure who made the cameras, though I think they were some of the first digital ones in use and the authorities originally fooled people into thinking they were average speed cameras (ie SPECS).

Hmmm, I think I might know then why my submissions of these digital cameras are being rejected:

Q. Why might my submission be rejected?
A. There may be a number of reasons:
* Duplicate of earlier submission
* Incorrect co-ordinates
* Unknown camera type
* Verified as not at location specified

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: