Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I am in turmoil
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I am in turmoil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: I am in turmoil Reply with quote

Hi
I am in turmoil.
1. Do I upgrade my iCN 510 for a second time with the new ST2006 software?
2. Or upgrade to a iCN 750.
I have looked at the 750, which I like, but is the SIRFstarIII™ Generation 2 that much better? Full post code, I must say is a step forward. I believe it will be on the upgrade.
Do I really need a camera? (Cannot use it for work. No photo equipment allowed).
My old faithful has not let me down in the last 18 months, used for work and home, especially continental use.
Comments please?
Decision time?
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: I am in turmoil Reply with quote

DRP wrote:
Hi
I am in turmoil.
1. Do I upgrade my iCN 510 for a second time with the new ST2006 software?
2. Or upgrade to a iCN 750.
I have looked at the 750, which I like, but is the SIRFstarIII™ Generation 2 that much better? Full post code, I must say is a step forward. I believe it will be on the upgrade.
Do I really need a camera? (Cannot use it for work. No photo equipment allowed).
My old faithful has not let me down in the last 18 months, used for work and home, especially continental use.
Comments please?
Decision time?
Regards
DRP

Hi DRP
Join the club Exclamation I too am in exactly the same quandary. Old faithful is working well but Costco has this great deal on shortly for a new iCN530 at £140 incl VAT and EU maps.. and all these new Navman models coming out with bells and whistles Wink
New software? New maps? Bigger screen? - I don't want the camera or the traffic module....decisions, decisions. Confused
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gee Pee
I use my iCN daily, for work covering 60,000 miles a year.
I would like the traffic module. Being caught out on the M25 a few times trying to get to Dover. 10 hrs to do a trip that should have taken half that.
I hope that the 2006 software and mapping has improved. When I upgraded my iCN my house moved, I set up ‘Home’ on the patio having done so with my 4100 & PDA (house No. 95) son has adopted it, iCN (house No.64). Cannot recall when I first purchased the iCN if it had a discrepancy. I understand the 10% rule, but No.64 is 50m away & on the other side of the road.
I can put up with maps being out of date, as our roads are continually being upgraded. So a more accuracy is probably what I am looking for. So will the SIRFstarIII™ do it for me?
The 750 looks the part, big screen, internal 4GB HD, but not to sure about a camera. Would like to have the option of telling the GPS what type of vehicle it’s in, like our friends Mio. They tow a caravan so it’s set up for a Truck, not car, routing them on good roads, not lanes with grass growing in the middle. I’m accustomed to Navman so I do not think I will change to another rival.
Regards.
DRP

Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRP wrote:
Hi Gee Pee
I use my iCN daily, for work covering 60,000 miles a year.
I would like the traffic module. Being caught out on the M25 a few times trying to get to Dover. 10 hrs to do a trip that should have taken half that.
I hope that the 2006 software and mapping has improved. When I upgraded my iCN my house moved, I set up ‘Home’ on the patio having done so with my 4100 & PDA (house No. 95) son has adopted it, iCN (house No.64). Cannot recall when I first purchased the iCN if it had a discrepancy. I understand the 10% rule, but No.64 is 50m away & on the other side of the road.
I can put up with maps being out of date, as our roads are continually being upgraded. So a more accuracy is probably what I am looking for. So will the SIRFstarIII™ do it for me?
The 750 looks the part, big screen, internal 4GB HD, but not to sure about a camera. Would like to have the option of telling the GPS what type of vehicle it’s in, like our friends Mio. They tow a caravan so it’s set up for a Truck, not car, routing them on good roads, not lanes with grass growing in the middle. I’m accustomed to Navman so I do not think I will change to another rival.
Regards.
DRP

I too have the same problem with my 'home' - according to my Navman I live at No 21 (actually it's number 18, but I can live with that.
In a couple of places on regular routes, on which I travel, the instructions are totally at odds with the actual road, but I can live with that as I am aware that it takes time for mapping to be prepared.
Don't know if the SIRFstarIII will be more accurate - perhaps one of our Moderators will know the answer, but from what I havew read it is faster on acquisition and can pick up satellites easier such as in streets with tall buildings and even indoors!
And, yes, I would like to be able to tell the device that I am driving a 6.5m long motor home (which is nearly 8ft wide with the wing mirrors)
but using the road 'options' and giving preferences to Motorways and to a lesser extent Urban roads, does help.
I do a lot of driving in Europe - some of it in out of the way places in E. Europe so I am looking forward to getting E. Europe maps one day.
Yes, I am accustomed to Navman - it's taken me a long while to understand and use many of its intracacies, so will proably stay with that Manufacturer.
BTW which voice do you use and do you have a name for him/her?
Wink
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gee Pee
Like the song goes. “Been through the desert on a horse with no name”. I have not driven through a desert but ‘hiss’ her, ‘crackly’ him has no names, but to elevate the boredom, sometimes change them for the American voices. “At the turn circle”?
Regards
DRP

bursty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is this new software version coming out as I cannot seem to find anything on the Navman website?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bursty wrote:
When is this new software version coming out as I cannot seem to find anything on the Navman website?

It's not on the website. I was given this information in an email from Navman which said "With reference to your enquiry, we are out of stock of the SmartST2005 Software and Maps. But we are expecting new maps to be released mid
October, these will the Smart ST 2006 Maps and Software, as soon as they
are available you will be able to purchase directly from the online
store at www.navmanstores.com"

That was on 26th September.
Subsequently, I asked if I would be able to upgrade direct from v3 on my 510 and they confirmed that I would be able to.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are aready a number posts on this, have a read.
Here are some thoughts though.

Upgrading the 510 with new software is probably more expensive than buying a newer unit and selling the 510 second hand.

The SiRF III won't make any real difference to the accuracy of the GPS fix. It will give a faster TTFF, and probably has lower latency (The time it takes to report where you are). This latency of sometimes the cause of issues such as not enough notice of interesections, street numbers wrong etc. It only affect you if you are going faster than the software is designed for. The sofware usually builds in fudge factors, as all GPS system exibit latency.

As for street numbers - the problems you are seeing is usually caused by how they are stored- actually calculated. Not all street numbers are stored. The rest are derived from those known points, probably assuming an even distribution. Therefore the numbers will never be perfectunless all the houses are spaced exactly the same distance down the road.
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Have read the PDF manuals for both the iCN 750 & the N60i. If I have read the N60i manual correctly I believe you can make your own sound files (wav.) and import them to a folder on the Navman.
Both have + & -, you can get the iCN 750 european with T1, for the same price as the N60i without T1 when its made available. The N60i looks favorable, but I will wait until it is discussed on this forum, before I will make up my mind.
Regards
DRP

Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iCN750 allows you to use your own .wav files for custom POI warnings, too.
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim.
After posting the thread I found your thread relating to sound files. So that’s a plus for the 750. so down to value for money the 750 is in the lead.
As I can see it, apart from a new faster processor, dimensions, weight smaller in built memory & bigger screen, there's not a lot of difference between the N60i & the iCN750. Or have I missed something?
I am also wondering that this new ‘upgrade’ software for the 5xx series will have any of the points that are covered in the above threads.
Regards
DRP

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: