Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SC Database comparison
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SC Database comparison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdesign
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: SC Database comparison Reply with quote

How does the Pocket GPS speed camera database compare with the others on the market (e.g. the TomTom, Snooper) in terms of

1) Number of camera locations identified
2) Frequency of updates (TT state monthly, Snooper state daily)
3) Accuracy - are they in the right place, right side of road, are old sites removed etc.

The reason I ask Q1 is that I see a lot of reports that the Pocket GPS database has far fewer cameras on it than any other. I know the fact it wasn't as populated as others was in the past put down to it being a community 'project' that was free. But now you are charging for it means it is a commercial product so I'd like to know how is stands up to the rest.

For Q3 I am concerned that as the locations for the Pocket GPS database are sent in from users they may be inaccurate (i.e. on wrong side of road). Commercial databases usually state that they have someone verify locations. Do you also do this or do you just take reports as being correct? How about removal of old locations? I have read in these forums that there are many many locations for mobile sites that just end of sitting on the database even though they're never used again. How do you handle this? I'm guessing that mobile alerts can be turned off?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: SC Database comparison Reply with quote

sdesign wrote:
How does the Pocket GPS speed camera database compare with the others on the market (e.g. the TomTom, Snooper) in terms of

Don't know about TT's one but see below.

Quote:

PGPSW has been monthly, recently twice monthly.
Quote:
3) Accuracy - are they in the right place, right side of road, are old sites removed etc.

See just about every post on this forum! And see below.

Quote:
The reason I ask Q1 is that I see a lot of reports that the Pocket GPS database has far fewer cameras on it than any other.

I thought it was quite the opposite, judging by many reports on this forum. Certainly most people believe it performs far better than TomTom's.

Quote:
For Q3 I am concerned that as the locations for the Pocket GPS database are sent in from users they may be inaccurate (i.e. on wrong side of road).

As the TomTom can't differenciate between the two sides of a road anyway (except on a dual carriageway), this is fairly unimportant. The latest thinking is to place the POI in the centre of the relevant carriageway, and to place one in each carriageway if it is a reversable camera.
Quote:
Commercial databases usually state that they have someone verify locations. Do you also do this or do you just take reports as being correct?

Have you read any of the Speed Camera guides on here? They go to great lengths explaining how the verification is done, and how , if you are the first to report a new fixed camera, you get free membership for life.
Quote:
How about removal of old locations? I have read in these forums that there are many many locations for mobile sites that just end of sitting on the database even though they're never used again. How do you handle this?

This is going to be a problem with all databases. Either the entries are left on the system "for ever" or they are removed almost immediately and don't warn somebody the next time that location is used. I know which I prefer.
Quote:
I'm guessing that mobile alerts can be turned off?

Yes
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: SC Database comparison Reply with quote

sdesign wrote:
But now you are charging for it means it is a commercial product so I'd like to know how is stands up to the rest.
Just to point out that the database is not charged for. It is free to subscribed members.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
sdesign
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: SC Database comparison Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
sdesign wrote:
But now you are charging for it means it is a commercial product so I'd like to know how is stands up to the rest.
Just to point out that the database is not charged for. It is free to subscribed members.

erm, okay - whatever Rolling Eyes
sdesign
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: SC Database comparison Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
sdesign wrote:

Don't know about TT's one but see below.

Quote:

PGPSW has been monthly, recently twice monthly.
Quote:

See just about every post on this forum! And see below.

Quote:
The reason I ask Q1 is that I see a lot of reports that the Pocket GPS database has far fewer cameras on it than any other.

I thought it was quite the opposite, judging by many reports on this forum. Certainly most people believe it performs far better than TomTom's.

Quote:
For Q3 I am concerned that as the locations for the Pocket GPS database are sent in from users they may be inaccurate (i.e. on wrong side of road).

As the TomTom can't differenciate between the two sides of a road anyway (except on a dual carriageway), this is fairly unimportant. The latest thinking is to place the POI in the centre of the relevant carriageway, and to place one in each carriageway if it is a reversable camera.
Quote:
Commercial databases usually state that they have someone verify locations. Do you also do this or do you just take reports as being correct?

Have you read any of the Speed Camera guides on here? They go to great lengths explaining how the verification is done, and how , if you are the first to report a new fixed camera, you get free membership for life.
Quote:
How about removal of old locations? I have read in these forums that there are many many locations for mobile sites that just end of sitting on the database even though they're never used again. How do you handle this?

This is going to be a problem with all databases. Either the entries are left on the system "for ever" or they are removed almost immediately and don't warn somebody the next time that location is used. I know which I prefer.
Quote:
I'm guessing that mobile alerts can be turned off?

Yes

Okay thanks, I did look the guides. Must have missed the verification bit. I'll go check it out now. I'd still like to see some figures on number of camera locations on the database just for comparison purposes.
sdesign
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, just found numbers,

Quote:
3831 Gatso/Monitron/Truvelo, 5419 Mobiles, 28 Temporary, 158 Specs and 984 Redlight Cameras.

I read somewhere on this site that TT has 6000 Gatso sites. Is that true?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure that's not for the whole of Europe?
sdesign
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official TomTom speed camera database only costs £27 for the year. Other than being £8 less per year (there's not really much in it) I am still haviong trouble finding a reason for me to go with the Pocket GPS database?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdesign wrote:
The official TomTom speed camera database only costs £27 for the year. Other than being £8 less per year (there's not really much in it) I am still haviong trouble finding a reason for me to go with the Pocket GPS database?

How about the fact that it's updated at least once every month?
And if you are only interested in updating once a year, it will only cost you £2.

Sal
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: SC Database comparison Reply with quote

sdesign wrote:
BGF wrote:
sdesign wrote:

erm, okay - whatever Rolling Eyes

it's actually quite important! we pay for the subscription forum and one of the benefits of that is you can download the speed camera database. i'm sure in teh future there will be further benefits for subscribers but you won'tpay any extra forthese as the price is for the subscription, NOT the database.

MaFt
sdesign
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now paid my £2 to subscribe, thanks for the advice Smile
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdesign wrote:
I have now paid my £2 to subscribe, thanks for the advice Smile

welcome :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: