Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio C510 and TMC add-on in UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio C510 and TMC add-on in UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FuzzyDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Mio C510 and TMC add-on in UK Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

I bought the "add-on" TMC reciever for my Mio C510 directly from the Mioshop website BEFORE they changed the page to say that TMC did not work in the UK.

When the unit arrived, there was no additional software -- just the reciever dongle and the long wire aerial. I followed the instructions and hooked it up anyway -- after all, the software could have been preloaded waiting for the reciever... But, no such luck. I drove and drove and nothing happened! No warnings, no additional icons, no TMC menu! Just lots of traffic jams Sad

I contacted Mio-tech by e-mail and eventually GOT A REPLY!! 8O

The first e-mail said:

Quote:
Sent: 18 July 2006 10:46
To: XXXXXXX
Subject: RE: Mio-Shop Order: XXXXXXX Attn: Iris Demuynck

Dear Sir,
We will send you a DVD or CD with software for your device.
Kind regards,

Iris
iris.demuynck@mio-tech.be
Mio Technology Europe

Interesting -- so the C510 needs additional software to make the TMC reciever work... Rolling Eyes I waited a couple of weeks and when the DVD/CD didn't arrive, I contacted them again. I asked Iris to confirm that with the software a C510 would be able to recieve TMC in the UK -- AND I GOT ANOTHER REPLY!!: :D

Quote:

Sent: 02 August 2006 10:57
To: XXXXXXXXXX
Subject: RE: Mio-Shop Order: XXXXXXXX Attn: Iris Demuynck

Hello sir,
It will allow you to work with the TMC in the UK. They are unfortunately not ready at this moment, but I will send it as soon as I have one.
Kind regards,

Mio Technology Limited
Iris Demuynck

Brusselsesteenweg 307b
1785 Brussegem
Tel.:Fax: +32 2 461 07 99 +32 2 461 06 65
www.mio-tech.be

So there we have it -- from Mio-Tech -- the C510 DOES work with TMC in the UK (ignore what it says on the Mioshop page) but the reciever needs software that they don't have ready yet...

I'll wait patiently to see what happens, but right now, I feel honoured! I've had TWO e-mail responses from Mio-Tech!! 8O Wink :D

Proud owner of:
Mio C620t (the new baby) and a Mio C510e
darthpaul
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother in law is in the same boat as you.

He bought a C510 and has got the dongle and everything but it doesn't work.

You both have Miomap v3 running on your C510's - the TMC enabled Miomap seems to be version 3.1.

It'd be interesting to see what is on this DVD when it arrives.. Will it be just the updated program file, or will the maps need updating too?
Ultrax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: C510 TMC software Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

just to let you know, i returned 2 C510 units as faulty and had to wait a couple of weeks (seems first batch were out of stock, just as well) to finally receive a third unit end of last week. This C510 has shipped with v3.11 on it so the TMC software is already on the unit and presumably will work if i buy the add on module. Happily everything seems to work properly ie the main menu button on the side of the unit, i have added the female UK voice via bluetooth and updated the camera datbase successfully. All in all quite an impressive little unit when working as it should.
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a similar problem with my C210.

According to a UK dealer, Mio products DO work in the UK and a lifetime subscription to the service is included in the purchase price of the TMC receiver. However, Mio product support (on their premium rate phone number) told me that Mio products do not support TMC in the UK because they do not have a licence agreement.

Having exchanged several e-mails with the UK dealer (but I'm not important enough to receive an e-mail response from Mio!!!), he is seeing his Mio Rep and will hopefully have some information for me shortly.

The online User Manual is for MioMap V3.2, but my C210 has V3.0 installed. It is thought, at the moment, that the upgrade to V3.2 may be necessary to get TMC working properly in the UK...

...but everybody is eagerly awaiting the reease of V3.2.

I'll keep you posted if I hear anything
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I contacted Mio and to my total amazement received a reply within minutes:

"We will release an update link on our website in about two weeks. With this
link you can update the version 3 on your device so that you can use the TMC antenna.
As soon as this link is available we will also release the TMC antenna for
Mio C210 on our site."

We'll have to wait a couple of weeks to see what (if anything) happens.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: