Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT6 speed warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT6 speed warnings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noseboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: TT6 speed warnings Reply with quote

If you're exceeding the speed limit, TT6 makes the speed display go red and flash.

The problems I have with this are that
- what it thinks is the speed limit often seems to be incorrect (like earlier today when I was in a 40 and it thought the limit was 60)
- when the text turns red it's practically invisible against the normal dark colours
- there's no audible warning

Is any of this configurable anywhere, or do I just have to lump it? Sad

Cheers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TT6 speed warnings Reply with quote

noseboy wrote:
- there's no audible warning
Is any of this configurable anywhere, or do I just have to lump it? Sad
Thankfully there is no audio warning!! neither is there a configuration setting to alter the audio (doesn't exist) OR the colours, they simply cannot be changed - Mike
Loobster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pants anyway compared to Checkpoint functionality. I think we need an update for Checkpoint, it only seems to trigger the audio alert for the "last" warning, not the first or speed warnings when using Checkpoint 5.2 on TTN6.
noseboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Loobster, I've never even heard of Checkpoint. That's another toy for me to look at Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets put this into perspective, the speed warning is only as good as the data when the area was "mapped" so its a good few months out of date. You cannot expect a Sat Nav to accurately inform you of the legal speed limit and be 100% correct. The Red colour of the speed display is difficult to read, a more suitable colour might have been better.

The only sure fire method to avoid the fine / points is to use your situational awarness and make sure you know the legal speed limit of the road you are actually on. This does mean reading the signs on the side of the road, but it is the ONLY way to be 100% sure that you are not speeding, assuming of course you use this information in conjunction with the vehicles speedo.

If you want two warnings per camera the inbuilt TomTom POI warner and the Speed Camera Database from this site is quite capable of achieving this, without CheckPOI.

Also you can set the warnings up for any number of seconds prior to the camera (simple mathmatics converts seconds at the rated speed for the camera into Yards, just add a bit for the mobile units).

OK so it cannot issue a specific speed related warning, but as the cameras are split into speed related files you get a warning of the speed applicable to the camera you are approaching, I find two seperate spoken alerts are more than sufficiant. - Mike
noseboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fair points Mike. My only real quibble is with the colour. My speedo is not hugely accurate at high speeds so I'd got into the habit of glancing at the GPS to check my speed now and then.

Since I have a *slightly* heavy right foot (particularly on the motorway), when the speed goes red it effectively vanishes and I can't just glance at it like that.

I'd be perfectly happy if I could have it revert to the old TTN5 behaviour. I suppose this'll motivate me to finally go and get my speedo fixed though, so it's not all bad Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: