Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS-TMC Traffic or TomTom Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS-TMC Traffic or TomTom Traffic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duckie008
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: RDS-TMC Traffic or TomTom Traffic Reply with quote

Which you would chose? and why?

For me, TomTom Traffic via GPRS is so convenient to leave your bluetooth mobile connected to the unit which also handles the phone side of things. Having the receiver means another thing to connect to as well as the charger and other cables which makes the dash look so messy! And all that to disconnect and take with you when you leave the car unattended and to set up again when you return. I hope people won't leave the receiver on display like the mount or your car will be broken in to.

I found the cost of data used was only a small amount and they came off my free minutes per month on my o2 contract. When trying it out for the day using my free trial, i found that i used about 193kb (updating every 15mins) for about 5hrs in total. I found the service was very good and always had a connection.

The decision i have to make is a one-off payment for the receiver (and risk the service provided by RDS, the quality of reception and all the hassle of setting it up on the dash and removing it) or a yearly subsciption with TomTom via GPRS which i know works very well. For now i will stick with TomTom Traffic.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a ONE so gprs only for me...

The reasons for not buying an x10 series are pretty much as you suggest - didn't want more crap in the car and didn't want to leave it connected and on display when parked.

Also I have no problems with BT and GPRS connection - I am on an unlimited data plan (well as good as) so there are no costs and with the annual fee of £25 - it would take 3 years to recover the cost of the tmc receiver (if it lasts that long - and I have owned nothing pda or mobile or gps related that has ever lasted 3 years!)

I drive 40,000+ miles a year and have find the reliability of traffic currently better than ever, certainly worth the cost of 10 pints of beer a year.
duckie008
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read some people are having minor problems with the receiver already.

So TomTom Traffic GPRS is leading at this early stage of the TomTom Receiver Vs GPRS battle!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: