Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTomGO 300 found.000 folder
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTomGO 300 found.000 folder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irishkiwi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: TomTomGO 300 found.000 folder Reply with quote

Hi there.
My TTGo300 is running the latest app version 6.150

I noticed that there is a folder called found.000 under the root directory when browsing through windows explorer.
It has three files in there - all file0000.chk, file0001.chk and file0002.chk.

I'm guessing this folder appeared when i used the reset button once - when it locked up.
Anyone got any ideas on that ?
I just want to know if i can safely delete the folder / files.
I've got backups anyway but just wanted to know if anyone else had seen this.
I'm sure someone has.
used to get the same think on old versions of windows all the time after a diskchk.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your computer has done a file system check and fixed some corrupt sectors on the SD card. (those are the chk files).

You should be alarmed, and if possible re-format the card and re-install everything. Or move it all off to a different card.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
irishkiwi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid i have to disagree with you here.
I deleted the found.000 folder and everything is working just fine.
Been around computers too long to fall for the "reinstall everything" issue.

Quote:
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irishkiwi wrote:
I deleted the found.000 folder and everything is working just fine.
So far!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
your computer has done a file system check and fixed some corrupt sectors on the SD card. (those are the chk files).

You should be alarmed, and if possible re-format the card and re-install everything. Or move it all off to a different card.

Hmmm....not good advice, for a start, there are several files on a standard tomtom setup ending with '.chk' and these are definitely NOT corrupt sectors, so dont delete those!

Probably the .chk files were left over from a reset as the OP said, but in any event, the old maxim appplies, 'if it aint broke, dont fix it'.

If the OP didnt need the space, best to leave alone.

Had the OP had a backup, he could of course have compared with his original, and I wonder if he made one before removing them. If not, might be prudent to make one now. In fact, no 'might' about it.

In any event, a reformat and reinstall is not a good recommendation. memory cards do their own remapping of broken areas, and so its unlikely it was a standard bit of 'bad data' as you'd find on a disk, much more likely the OPs guess of 'orphaned' files left after a reset was correct, maybe temp files that didnt get deleted on shudtown

But since it was working after the reset, deleting the files, unless he needed the space, was not a good idea, and reformatting, is definitely a BAD idea!

Tw
irishkiwi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP (thats me) was running the TomTom regularly with no problem after having upgraded to latest OS version AND having taken a backup straight after the upgrade.
The tomtom locked up about a week later - having made no changes since the upgrade and subsequent backup.
After the reset - i compared the file system to the backup and noticed the addition of the found.000 folder which seemed to occur after the reset.
Thats why i came to the conclusion that it happened after the reset and was therefore safe to delete.

Tumbleweed wrote:
lbendlin wrote:

Hmmm....not good advice, for a start, there are several files on a standard tomtom setup ending with '.chk' and these are definitely NOT corrupt sectors, so dont delete those!

Probably the .chk files were left over from a reset as the OP said, but in any event, the old maxim appplies, 'if it aint broke, dont fix it'.

If the OP didnt need the space, best to leave alone.

Had the OP had a backup, he could of course have compared with his original, and I wonder if he made one before removing them. If not, might be prudent to make one now. In fact, no 'might' about it.

In any event, a reformat and reinstall is not a good recommendation. memory cards do their own remapping of broken areas, and so its unlikely it was a standard bit of 'bad data' as you'd find on a disk, much more likely the OPs guess of 'orphaned' files left after a reset was correct, maybe temp files that didnt get deleted on shudtown

But since it was working after the reset, deleting the files, unless he needed the space, was not a good idea, and reformatting, is definitely a BAD idea!

Tw
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irishkiwi wrote:
The OP (thats me) was running the TomTom regularly with no problem after having upgraded to latest OS version AND having taken a backup straight after the upgrade.
The tomtom locked up about a week later - having made no changes since the upgrade and subsequent backup.
After the reset - i compared the file system to the backup and noticed the addition of the found.000 folder which seemed to occur after the reset.
Thats why i came to the conclusion that it happened after the reset and was therefore safe to delete.

fair enough...and to be fair I also hadnt really taken in the point about them all being in a 'found' folder, I was more concentrating on someone's response that because they were 'chk' files they were safe to delete. Fine in your case but someone, sooner or later, who doesn't have a backup, will read that comment and start deleting .chk files to gain space they actually dont need!

So, what are you going to do with all those spare bytes on your card? :-)

Tw

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: